• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dan Rather’s Legacy of Outrageous Liberal Bias.

Squawker

Professor
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Media bias isn’t all about telling lies. It can be about twisting words, making faces or negative body language. Katie Couric is famous for her disgusted look when interviewing Republicans. Dan Rather’s bias was well known. Here is a collection of some of his notorious stories, like this one:
”The new Republican majority in Congress took a big step today on its legislative agenda to demolish or damage government aid programs, many of them designed to help children and the poor.”
This was another good one:
“Republicans kill the bill to clean up sleazy political fundraising. The business of dirty campaign money will stay business as usual.”
lol, no bias there. When I look back on what I used to believe, I wonder how I could have been so duped by the Dan Rathers in the media.

Source

Know I heard it all Squawker you are unbelivable now you want to read body lanuge and facial expressions

I mut finish this later

Squawker said:
Media bias isn’t all about telling lies. It can be about twisting words, making faces or negative body language. Katie Couric is famous for her disgusted look when interviewing Republicans. Dan Rather’s bias was well known. Here is a collection of some of his notorious stories, like this one:
This was another good one: lol, no bias there. When I look back on what I used to believe, I wonder how I could have been so duped by the Dan Rathers in the media.

Source

How about his winks, nods, and let's not forget to 'read between the lines.' Dan Rather was an anchor for 24 years. Anyone in that sort of job for that long is quotable on both sides of the coin too many times to remember.

Bill O'Reilly shows more bias in one week than Rather did in 24 years.

If Bill O'Reilly were held to the same standard as real newsmen he'd be doing local news in Salisbury, Maryland on a UHF station....

BTW - Rather's comments were TRUE. O'Reilly's comments are often lies. Rather would never yell at someone he's interviewing. O'Reilly's modus operandi is to yell and attack and call his guests STUPID and he tells them to SHUT UP.

FNC is not a genuine news organization. It is a propaganda wing of the Republican party.

26 X World Champs said:
How about his winks, nods, and let's not forget to 'read between the lines.' Dan Rather was an anchor for 24 years. Anyone in that sort of job for that long is quotable on both sides of the coin too many times to remember.

If Bill O'Reilly were held to the same standard as real newsmen he'd be doing local news in Salisbury, Maryland on a UHF station....

BTW - Rather's comments were TRUE. O'Reilly's comments are often lies. Rather would never yell at someone he's interviewing. O'Reilly's modus operandi is to yell and attack and call his guests STUPID and he tells them to SHUT UP.

FNC is not a genuine news organization. It is a propaganda wing of the Republican party.

Unfortunately it is a legitimate news corporation, but one that spins it to the right. I would have to agree with your comment on both sides of the coin...

The same is for politicians in the senate. It can be said that Cheney both was for raising and against raising taxes, etc, etc. The same can be said of Ted Kennedy, of Frist (though his record is not nearly as long), etc, etc.

As to his incredible bias...one sec...let me put on my journalists hat since I do do that.........ARE YOU KIDDING ME. He was hard on both sides of the aisle. He was known as one of THE HARDERST INTERVIEWERES in the media. How DARE you say that he was soft on liberals because of bias! He interviewed fairly, he asked questions fairly, and just because of ONE MISTAKE you label him as a liberal. ONE MISTAKE...how many has olielly made?

Last edited:

FNC is not a genuine news organization. It is a propaganda wing of the Republican party
Are you a DNC operative Champs?

Squawker said:
Are you a DNC operative Champs?

What an odd question? Because I point out that Rather is almost always fair and balanced (not always, but usually), and that O'Reilly is almost NEVER fair and balanced I get a label attached to me now?

If being a card carrying member of the Democratic party makes me an 'operative' then I suppose I am one, though I really don't know what that actually means?

Why not call me an American who really cares about his country and his fellow Americans? Too often Republicans try to make themselves out to be patriots while making Liberals and Democrats out to being Unamerican.

I'm telling one and all that Liberals & Democrats are as patriotic as any other political group in the USA. Maybe the difference is that Democrats are not always putting their individual needs ahead of society's needs?

If Dan Rather made pro-Democratic principled statements he did so because he believes it to be true, and he did it without telling anyone to shut up.

Can you imagine what would happen if O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush or Coulter were the anchors of CBS Evening News? Do you think that after 24 years they would have more or less biased news reports than Dan Rather?

Because I point out that Rather is almost always fair and balanced (not always, but usually), and that O'Reilly is almost NEVER fair and balanced I get a label attached to me now?
Rather is a liberal/democrat and works on their behalf. He has been far from fair or balanced during his career. He has actually gotten better during the last ten years because people on the internet exposed his lies and bias. O’Reilly is an independent, but leans to the left. He tells people to shut up when they try to filibuster his show. He is equally rude to any side he doesn’t personally agree with. Only a propagandist would say “Always” and ‘Never”
Can you imagine what would happen if O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush or Coulter were the anchors of CBS Evening News? Do you think that after 24 years they would have more or less biased news reports than Dan Rather?
They are different types of shows. Rather was supposed to be a “Reporter” of the news. O’Reilly, Hannity, Rush and Coulter are commentators and political annalists. Rather should never have let his personal beliefs interfere with his reporting of the news. If you watch the latter four, you know you are getting their personal opinion.

Squawker said:
Rather is a liberal/democrat and works on their behalf. He has been far from fair or balanced during his career. He has actually gotten better during the last ten years because people on the internet exposed his lies and bias.
I will again restate that after 24 years both sides of the coin were represented. Rather was/is fair almost always. He was obviously supportive of the invasion of Iraq, which was anything but a liberal cause. It's not about a scorecard especially since no one is keeping score of the times that he's defending the opposite points of view than he is accused of being.

Squawker said:
O’Reilly is an independent, but leans to the left. He tells people to shut up when they try to filibuster his show. He is equally rude to any side he doesn’t personally agree with.
O'Reilly leans to the left? :rofl Surely you jest? I have never heard of anyone, anywhere ever state that O'Reilly leans to the left! I'm talking about Bill O'Reilly, not Radar O'Reilly! I defy anyone to prove that Bill O'Reilly leans to the left!

Squawker said:
Only a propagandist would say “Always” and ‘Never”
I said ALMOST NEVER. It would appear that you are spinning my words a la Brit Hume? ALMOST NEVER and NEVER are ALMOST the same, but not the same!

Squawker said:
They are different types of shows. Rather was supposed to be a “Reporter” of the news. O’Reilly, Hannity, Rush and Coulter are commentators and political annalists. Rather should never have let his personal beliefs interfere with his reporting of the news. If you watch the latter four, you know you are getting their personal opinion.

Rather WAS a reporter of the news. I sincerely believe only someone with a chip on their shoulder against Dan Rather would suggest that he wasn't a reporter as you just suggested. As for the FAB FOUR right wing "SQUAWKERS" that I cited you missed my point. I wrote what would it be like if they were network anchors? People cite the FAB FOUR when they quote the news, they deliver the news in a different format than the traditional evening news, but ask them if they are commentators or newsmen and what will they say?

Squawker said:

Absolutely. One is an entertainment "show" with news & the other is just labeled "news".

What is said on O'Reilly and Hannity are NOT representative of FOX NEWS. What is said from Rather is.

Whereas Shepard Smith should be considered news and that would be a better comparison with Rather.

I said ALMOST NEVER. It would appear that you are spinning my words a la Brit Hume? ALMOST NEVER and NEVER are ALMOST the same, but not the same!
Not at all. The word "almost" is a just a not so clever cover up.

Squawker said:
Not at all. The word "almost" is a just a not so clever cover up.

You can write whatever you choose, but I said ALMOST NEVER, not never. You said NEVER....but you also said that Bill O'Reilly leans left...so I must question your creditability.

Trying to change the meaning of what I wrote is wrong. I'm pretty easy to read, all you need do is not change my words and you'll get it...change my words and then you're reading what someone else wrote....it does kind of remind me of what Republicans like to do...it's called SPIN....

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

I think Dan Rather, once had the integrity of a reporter and the intelligence. And because of that, he cannot be given the benefit of the doubt. No one of his intelligence, and competenence (and at one point in his career) integrity, would be that careless, not unless it was on purpose.

It is a shame, that he let his own bias and political convictions, reduce him to a man that became so one-sided, and self-righteous (in his own mind), that he cut off his nose to spite his face, in attempt to prove Pres. Bush, lacks integrity. :spin:

connie2005 said:
I think Dan Rather, once had the integrity of a reporter and the intelligence. And because of that, he cannot be given the benefit of the doubt. No one of his intelligence, and competenence (and at one point in his career) integrity, would be that careless, not unless it was on purpose.

It is a shame, that he let his own bias and political convictions, reduce him to a man that became so one-sided, and self-righteous (in his own mind), that he cut off his nose to spite his face, in attempt to prove Pres. Bush, lacks integrity. :spin:

Interesting, but this is the way I see it. In today's media, you have big stories, 24/7 with the big cable news channels stealing the spotlight. What happened here may have been careless, or on purpose, but I think Rather saw this as a chance to cover the story before cable got to it. Media is a game of follow the leader, and I think that Rahter just wanted to be first for once...instead of :spin: central itself...FNC.

26 X World Champs said:

O'Reilly earns most of his criticism from liberal sources because he sticks with a question until it is answered. He doesn't let his guests slide off to another topic when they don't want to answer a 'hard' question.

Fantasea said:
O'Reilly earns most of his criticism from liberal sources because he sticks with a question until it is answered. He doesn't let his guests slide off to another topic when they don't want to answer a 'hard' question.

Unless they're Republican flacks, in which case they get a tongue bath from O'Reilly.

argexpat said:
Unless they're Republican flacks, in which case they get a tongue bath from O'Reilly.

Not true.

While I'm no fan of Bill O'dildo, he is relentless on the GOP'ers who support driver licenses for illegal aliens and our borders.

I'm ecstatic to see Rather gone, I believe this will be a RATHER good world not having to listen to him. :lol:

Hi There, Nebraskaboy! :2wave:

welcome2.gif

Hello Squawker :2wave: from your posts I think that we will get along pretty well.

Nebraskaboy said:
I'm ecstatic to see Rather gone, I believe this will be a RATHER good world not having to listen to him. :lol:

Here here!

Welcome to Debate Politics! :2wave:

26 X World Champs said:
What an odd question? Because I point out that Rather is almost always fair and balanced (not always, but usually), and that O'Reilly is almost NEVER fair and balanced I get a label attached to me now?

Yeah. It would not be news. It would be the same shows they have now. Why are you comparing Dan Rather to O'Reilly?

Dan Rather was a newsman. O'Reilly has an entirely different agenda obviously. If you think O'Reilly is trying to be a fair/balanced reporter then you are wrong. He is driven by his need to sell crap on his website and books. Facts alone do not sell. Conflict sells. If O'Reilly was actual news his show would not be named as it is. Rather was supposed to be reporting the facts.

This reminds me of That comedy central guy getting teased on crossfire because he didnt ask "hard questions" of Kerry. THAT IS NOT HIS JOB!

Dan Rather did some good work in the course of his career but he was always obviously biased. No more than most. Too bad that was not his job.

Journalistic history and influence
During the presidency of Richard Nixon, conservative political figures accused Rather of being unfair in his coverage. At a Houston, Texas news conference in 1974, Nixon fielded a question from a ABC reporter, but Rather, still CBS's White House correspondent, jumped in: "Thank you, Mr. President. Dan Rather, of CBS News. Mr. President..." The room filled with jeers and applause, prompting Nixon to joke "Are you running for something?" Rather replied "No, sir, Mr. President. Are you?"

CBS apparently considered firing Rather and its news president met with administration official John Ehrlichman to discuss the situation. According to NBC's Tom Brokaw, the network considered hiring him as its White House correspondent to replace Rather. But CBS' plans to do so were scrapped after word was leaked to the press.

Afghanistan, Reagan and George H.W. Bush During the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, Dan Rather was filmed wearing a traditional Mujahadeen headress and garments while reporting from near the front lines. These reports were some of the first by Rather which helped him gain national prominence.

Later on during the 1980s, Rather gained further renown to some for his forceful and skeptical reporting on the Iran-Contra Affair that eventually led to an on-air confrontation he had with then vice-president George H. W. Bush.

This incident was widely believed to have been a notable event in Bush's campaign to win the presidency in the 1988 election. It also marked the beginning of Rather's ratings decline, a slump from which he has never recovered. Bush never forgave him and refused to grant Rather an interview after their initial tangle. His son George W. Bush has apparently followed suit, and has thus far declined to grant Rather an interview during his presidency.

Shortly after the Gulf War began, Dan Rather secured an interview with Saddam Hussein
which, among other things, captured the flavor of Saddam's boldness towards the US. (*)
"There is no powerful and quick strike that a people could deliver, whatever their overall power. The United States depends on the Air Force. The Air Force has never decided a war in the history of wars."
Saddam Hussein in interview with Dan Rather, Aug 29, 1990

The Wall WithinOn June 2, 1988, Dan Rather hosted the CBS News special, The Wall Within. In the special, Dan Rather interviewed six individuals who presented themselves as Vietnam veterans. All six men purported to have witnessed horrible acts in Vietnam. Some said that they killed civilians and others said that they saw friends die. Each man talked about the effects that the war had upon their lives such as becoming mentally depressed, becoming unemployed, using drugs, and becoming homeless. Upon further scrutiny of the claims made by the six men it was discovered that only one of the six men was actually in Vietnam. He claimed to have been a 16 year-old but was actually an equipment repairman. While researching for his book (ISBN 096670360X), B. G. Burkett claims that he easily obtained the service records of all six men which records where each man was stationed during the Vietnam War. Burkett's book relied entirely on "easily obtained" military records from that era, which were often incomplete or conflicting with personal accounts. For example, clandestine missions into Laos and Cambodia were almost never a part of the official record. Since the program's airing in 1988, neither CBS nor Dan Rather have issued a retraction for the content of the CBS News special.

Clinton Some conservatives accused Rather of going easy on stories critical of President Clinton. These critics gained further ammunition when The Washington Post revealed (*) Rather had raised money for the Democratic Party
The older of two major political parties in the United States Democratic Party of Texas. The incident dogged Rather for weeks and he was asked about it repeatedly by fellow journalists.

Asked why he attended it Rather answered that he didn't ask whether it was a fundraiser, but that he should have. "I take full responsibility for it. I'm responsible and I'm accountable." Without being paid, Rather said he had agreed to discuss election coverage at his old friend's Austin City Council member Will Wynn's back yard, but which was to his surprise a fundraiser when he arrived.

Recent years Rather has drawn some criticism for his unabashedly pro-American slant in covering international politics. In a 1999 speech he conceded "I'm an American reporter. Yes, I'm a reporter and I want to be accurate. I want to be fair. But I'm an American. I consider the U.S. government my government. So yes I do--when U.S. pilots in U.S. aircrafts turn off the lights, for me, it's 'we.'" (*) He elaborated on this theme in 2003: "Look, I'm an American. I never tried to kid anybody that I'm some internationalist or something. And when my country is at war, I want my country to win, whatever the definition of win may be. Now, I can't and don't argue that that is coverage without a prejudice. About that I am prejudiced." (Larry King Live, April 14, 2003)

George W. Bush and the Killian memos On Quick Facts about: 60 Minutes
A period of time equal to 1/24th of a day60 Minutes on September 8, 2004, Rather went public with a series of documents concerning
President George W. Bush. The documents in question purported to indicate that Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian declared Bush unfit for flight status for failure to obey an order to submit to a physical examination. The authenticity of these documents was quickly questioned by experts and critics as well as Killian's son and widow. Most document analysts quoted by the media stated that the memos are forgeries. Initially strongly standing by the memos, Rather and CBS later announced that they could not vouch for the authenticity of the documents. CBS stated that using the memos was a "mistake" and Rather apologized for the incident. Their source, former Texas Army National Guard officer named Bill Burkett, initially misled a CBS producer about the source of the documents and now states they came from another source.

See Killian memos for more information.

Retirement from the Evening News Rather is scheduled to retire as the anchorman and Managing Editor of the "CBS Evening News" in March 2005. He will have worked as the anchorman for 24 years, the longest tenure of anyone in television history. He will continue working as a correspondent for "60 Minutes".

Awards Rather is one of the most awarded figures within the journalism community. He has received numerous Emmys, and Peabodys.
Criticisms of Rather As one of the last people from the era of network news primacy, Rather is highly regarded within his profession by many long-serving journalists. However, others who have since come into the field express dislike for Rather's methods, views and delivery. Some argue that Rather is too "traditional" or "old-fashioned".
Conflict along these lines most recently came to light when he refused to run stories about Chandra Levy, a former Congressional intern who went missing for several months before her remains were found in a Washington park about two miles from The White House. Levy disappeared after having an affair with U.S. Rep. Quick Facts about: Gary Condit
Quick Summary not found for this subjectGary Condit who was suspected of playing a part in her disappearance. During most of the search for Levy, Rather refused to run any stories about the case and routinely condemned his colleagues for giving air time to the search for her.

Why are we even arguing about this? Can someone name a reporter that did not show much bias?
I can. He was the most boring newscaster I have ever seen but he did present the facts.His name was Walter Furley.

KZTV Channel 10, is the CBS affiliate for Corpus Christi and the Coastal Bend of South Texas.

This station was home to Walter Furley, Guinness Book of World Records holder for Longest Duration Newscaster. He was at the station for 45 Years.

The station has also had a reputation over the years of being low-budget and a student training station. This is due to the fact that its previous owner, Vann Kennedy was fiscally conservative, and believed in giving those that wanted the opportunity the chance to learn the proper ins and outs of televsion journalism. The station's newscasts were constantly at the bottom of the ratings, with the exception of the noon news, which was anchored by Walter Furley.

1934: Hires UT student Walter Cronkite at the Austin news bureau--Vann Kennedy

Dan Rather and his daughter Robin were fund raisers for the democratic party.
How can he not be biased?

Rather is left. O'Rielly is right. Frankin is left. Limbaugh is right. Seems the right can't admit their guy is a righty and the left can't confess their guy is a lefty. Does claiming your guy is totally objective somehow lend weight to your political posturing. Well, most of us are not that stupid but if you claim your guy is objective than I guess your just a dumb ass.

Back
Top Bottom