• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban cancels the national anthem before games

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the Daily Mail:

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says he told the team to stop playing the national anthem before their home games this season.

'It was my decision, and I made it in November,' Cuban told The Athletic on Tuesday without elaborating.

A spokesman for the team confirmed the decision to DailyMail.com, but declined further comment. Cuban did not immediately respond to DailyMail.com's email requesting a deeper explanation. Dallas Mavericks stop playing the national anthem before games on owner Mark Cuban's orders | Daily Mail Online

i wonder if it's part of the agreement with the NBA that the "franchises" have to.

i know my company (i founded it in the late 80s) isn't part of a bigger entity nor are we a franchise. we also don't play the national anthem at events.

Good for Cuban, he should have the right to make the change, others should do the same. Perhaps the ex-Racist in Chief shouldn't have made a big stink about players who chose not to stand during the anthem, that was their right. Trump was his usual insulting name calling bully, calling them "Sons of Bitches". What kind of a mood are players in after an attack like that? Now there's just a negative gray cloud over the whole thing thanks to the twice impeached loser. I'm glad if they do away with it, it doesn't need to be in sporting events.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said, "Under the unique circumstances of this season, teams are permitted to run their pregame operations as they see fit."

Cuban was outspoken against critics of NBA players and coaches kneeling during "The Star-Spangled Banner" when the 2019-20 season resumed in the bubble in Florida last summer.

According to The Athletic, "Cuban said in July that he would kneel with players during the anthem. He also tweeted,
'The National Anthem Police in this country are out of control. If you want to complain, complain to your boss and ask why they don't play the National Anthem every day before you start work.'"

Good for Cuban, he should have the right to make the change, others should do the same. Perhaps the ex-Racist in Chief shouldn't have made a big stink about players who chose not to stand during the anthem, that was their right. Trump was his usual insulting name calling bully, calling them "Sons of Bitches". What kind of a mood are players in after an attack like that? Now there's just a negative gray cloud over the whole thing thanks to the twice impeached loser. I'm glad if they do away with it, it doesn't need to be in sporting events.

Thanks for inserting Trump into the discussion in Post #3. :rolleyes:

From the Daily Mail:

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says he told the team to stop playing the national anthem before their home games this season.

'It was my decision, and I made it in November,' Cuban told The Athletic on Tuesday without elaborating.

A spokesman for the team confirmed the decision to DailyMail.com, but declined further comment. Cuban did not immediately respond to DailyMail.com's email requesting a deeper explanation. Dallas Mavericks stop playing the national anthem before games on owner Mark Cuban's orders | Daily Mail Online
not a big deal

From the Daily Mail:

Good. The N/A fetish at sporting events is dumb. Not sure this flies in Texas though.

From the Daily Mail:

Am I supposed to be outraged?

You're welcome, the reality is Trump had a lot to do with it. You can ignore that fact, I know you're a loyal defender of the conman.
Trump was sent by god to expose the hypocrites who run around screaming his name in vain. So, there is that to consider, I guess.

But, are the fans all Blue?

NBA fans trend blue. A lot of the white wing manbabies have fled the league to watch more NASCAR and college football.

You're welcome, the reality is Trump had a lot to do with it. You can ignore that fact, I know you're a loyal defender of the conman.

Oh, give me a break. Can't we discuss anything around here without Trump being inserted into the conversation?

Maybe a better question is whether this former President is going to continue to live rent-free in your head forever. I mean, can you buy a shirt or decide on a restaurant or vacation or garden or mow your yard or pet your dog without thinking about him?

It's a shame, been a fan and have followed Mark's career since he made his pot of gold.

He can go **** himself now.

Never understood the need for America to play the anthem before every single sporting event. Just play it before big games like everyone else. If anything it gives it more meaning.

The Star Spangled Banner is not performed before every single sporting event. Maybe you got that impression from only watching games where it is played.

The Star Spangled Banner is not performed before every single sporting event. Maybe you got that impression from only watching games where it is played.

No I lived in the US for years and it was literally played at every single Redsox, Celtics and Patriots game as well as other minor league events and every MLS game I ever attended. Pretty sure its played before pretty much every professional game in the US.

Why don't sport's teams focus on playing sports instead of dabbling into politics? If I were to watch a base ball game, I'd like to watch the game and not be blasted with cancel culture, identity politics and the wussification of our population.

It's a shame, been a fan and have followed Mark's career since he made his pot of gold.

He can go **** himself now.
Why does it matter?
They used to sing "God Save The King" in movie theatres and there were probably lots of pissed-off conservatives when they stopped but I bet nobody would want it brought back now. It would be the same in the USA 5 years after they stopped singing the anthem at sports events, nobody would want to bring it back.

Why does it matter?
They used to sing "God Save The King" in movie theatres and there were probably lots of pissed-off conservatives when they stopped but I bet nobody would want it brought back now. It would be the same in the USA 5 years after they stopped singing the anthem at sports events, nobody would want to bring it back.

Do they have to play the US anthem before NHL games in Canada?

Why does it matter?
You are aware that the king got his ass handed to him and sent packing, right? I don't think people will be so quick to give up their patriotism. I'm sure there is a group that hope for this, but it's not gonna happen.

You are aware that the king got his ass handed to him and sent packing, right? I don't think people will be so quick to give up their patriotism. I'm sure there is a group that hope for this, but it's not gonna happen.

He's talking about in Canada....

Back
Top Bottom