• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban cancels the national anthem before games

No I lived in the US for years and it was literally played at every single Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots game as well as other minor league events and every MLS game I ever attended. Pretty sure it's played before pretty much every professional game in the US.

So you only heard it before professional team sport games. The MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL are the four American professional sports leagues that have millions of fans. "Every single sporting event" would include many individual sports, non-competitive sport events, local nonprofit teams, etc.

So you only heard it before professional team sport games. The MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL are the four American professional sports leagues that have millions of fans. "Every single sporting event" would include many individual sports, non-competitive sport events, local nonprofit teams, etc.

I mean they played it before every 5k I did as well. But yes if you want to nit pick I'm talking about the thousands of professional games. I did also hear it and every minor league game I attended as well. Its overkill imo and even crazier that the NBA are literally now going to force teams to play it.

Well, than he should worry about Canada...

His point went over your head I guess.

Yes, that's it...disagreement means incomprehension....

Good lord...:rolleyes:

You are aware that the king got his ass handed to him and sent packing, right?

Well I mean its pretty clear you didn't understand his point given the fact you started referring to the American revolution lol.

He's also right. You wouldn't miss it after 5 years just like you didn't miss it before you started making it a huge thing before every game.

You are aware that the king got his ass handed to him and sent packing, right? I don't think people will be so quick to give up their patriotism. I'm sure there is a group that hope for this, but it's not gonna happen.
Jesus. Movie theatres. What time period do you think I'm talking about?
The point is, like I said, if singing the anthem at sports events stopped tomorrow conservatives would all be up on her hind legs but 5 years from.now nobody would want it brought back. If it wasn't happening now nobody would say, "Hey, what a great idea! Everybody stand and sing before the tip-off or the kick-off or the puck drop!"

Do they have to play the US anthem before NHL games in Canada?
They do as a courtesy if the other team is from an American city. Not if both teams are Canadian.

When the billionaires of professional sports decided to buy off the domestic terrorist organization BLM my only hope is that all professional sports teams that did so are financially ruined.

You are aware that the king got his ass handed to him and sent packing, right?

Well I mean its pretty clear you didn't understand his point given the fact you started referring to the American revolution lol.

He's also right. You wouldn't miss it after 5 years just like you didn't miss it before you started making it a huge thing before every game.

Oh this is getting hilarious.....OK to spell it out for you....the one who has shown the true lack of comprehension.

Were we talking about the American anthem at an American sporting event.

The Canadian brought up how things were in Canada

Canada is a federal constitutional monarchy, with the Queen as the head of state.

America is not.

America sent the King packing,

Therefore when he said "God save the King" was played in movie theaters and then stopped and 5 years later no one gave a rat's ass, and said it will happen here, what you seemed to have missed is that while Canada is still part of the commonwealth, most Canadians don't view themselves as a subject to the King/Queen. So God save the King doesn't evoke any sort of patriotism as would say perhaps, "Oh Canada".

Here in America, most Americans, although I'll admit there are more and more dumb asses who don't want to, still view themselves as citizens of this country. They love this country. They love the flag and they love the Constitution on which this government was formed. A country that defeated the King and sent his ass packing -- unlike in Canada -- and the patriotism that is felt when the SSB is sung is still strong. Unlike in Canada as regards to "God Save the King" who don't hold any affection for the Queen or their place in the commonwealth.

There, all spelled out so even an injit can grasp it...

Oh this is getting hilarious.....OK to spell it out for you....the one who has shown the true lack of comprehension.

Were we talking about the American anthem at an American sporting event.

The Canadian brought up how things were in Canada

Canada is a federal constitutional monarchy, with the Queen as the head of state.

America is not.

America sent the King packing,

Therefore when he said "God save the King" was played in movie theaters and then stopped and 5 years later no one gave a rat's ass, and said it will happen here, what you seemed to have missed is that while Canada is still part of the commonwealth, most Canadians don't view themselves as a subject to the King/Queen. So God save the King doesn't evoke any sort of patriotism as would say perhaps, "Oh Canada".

Here in America, most Americans, although I'll admit there are more and more dumb asses who don't want to, still view themselves as citizens of this country. They love this country. They love the flag and they love the Constitution on which this government was formed. A country that defeated the King and sent his ass packing -- unlike in Canada -- and the patriotism that is felt when the SSB is sung is still strong. Unlike in Canada as regards to "God Save the King" who don't hold any affection for the Queen or their place in the commonwealth.

There, all spelled out so even an injit can grasp it...

You should have maybe articulated that better because Grand Mal also read it the same way as I did. Maybe start there before you call people "injit".

Also I don't believe for one second that American Patriotism is as shallow as one song. As Grandmal pointed out conservative Canadians would have pushed back at first in regard to GTSQ not being sung but people move on and it would be the same in the US.

Oh, give me a break. Can't we discuss anything around here without Trump being inserted into the conversation?

Maybe a better question is whether this former President is going to continue to live rent-free in your head forever. I mean, can you buy a shirt or decide on a restaurant or vacation or garden or mow your yard or pet your dog without thinking about him?
You give me a break Nota, you don't have to get into such a snit. You do this any time anyone in any thread says anything truthful about your hero. The anthem would not be an issue Nota, if your Donnie didn't make a big stink about players not standing and calling them Sons Of Bitches.....what part of that don't you understand?

The bastard is in everybody's head Nota, because for four years, and up until the present day, he has been a public drama queen who just insulted, threatened and played during his whole term. His latest scheme was inciting the deadly Trump Party White Supremacist Terrorist attack on our Capitol, because the scumbag wasn't man enough to admit he lost the election.

Listen Nota, he has taken over your complete head and mind. It is clear to all here, the way you get overly emotional in defending him whenever possible. You, like his loyal supporters, defend and deny, ignoring the truth and the reality. Pathetic, really. Maybe it's time for you to look in the mirror and put yourself in check.

Don't try to insult or diminish me either Nota, by telling me I can't buy a shirt or mow the lawn without thinking of him, really? You are the typical Trump supporter, and like Trump, you wear your emotions on your sleeve. Your number one priority is being loyal to him, regardless of how corrupt, unpatriotic and dangerous he is. You probably think the insurrection on January 6th was a hoax too. Hey, we're all watching the 2nd impeachment hearing of this sleazebag, hard not to think about your conman. Maybe if they put his ass in prison, he'll shut the hell up and stay out of the spotlight.

He disrespected our country, violated his oath, threatened our citizens and national security, and you fervently defend him....amazing. Sounds like you're the one who needs a vacation.

Last edited:
Good for Cuban, he should have the right to make the change, others should do the same. Perhaps the ex-Racist in Chief shouldn't have made a big stink about players who chose not to stand during the anthem, that was their right. Trump was his usual insulting name calling bully, calling them "Sons of Bitches". What kind of a mood are players in after an attack like that? Now there's just a negative gray cloud over the whole thing thanks to the twice impeached loser. I'm glad if they do away with it, it doesn't need to be in sporting events.

Maybe they can start playing the Chinese national anthem.

You give me a break Nota, you don't have to get into such a snit. You do this any time anyone in any thread says anything truthful about your hero. The anthem would not be an issue Nota, if your Donnie didn't make a big stink about players not standing and calling them Sons Of Bitches.....what part of that don't you understand?

The bastard is in everybody's head Nota, because for four years, and up until the present day, he has been a public drama queen who just insulted, threatened and played during his whole term. His latest scheme was inciting the deadly Trump Party White Supremacist Terrorist attack on our Capitol, because the scumbag wasn't man enough to admit he lost the election.

Listen Nota, he has taken over your complete head and mind. It is clear to all here, the way you get overly emotional in defending him whenever possible. You, like his loyal supporters, defend and deny, ignoring the truth and the reality. Pathetic, really. Maybe it's time for you to look in the mirror and put yourself in check.

Don't try to insult or diminish me either Nota, by telling me to buy a shirt or mow the lawn. You are the typical Trump supporter, and like Trump, you wear your emotions on your sleeve. Your number one priority is being loyal to him, regardless of how corrupt, unpatriotic and dangerous he is. You probably think the insurrection on January 6th was a hoax too. Hey, we're all watching the 2nd impeachment hearing of this sleazebag, hard not to think about your conman. Maybe if they put his ass in prison, he'll shut the hell up and stay out of the spotlight.

He disrespected our country, violated his oath, threatened our citizens and national security, and you fervently defend him....amazing. Sounds like you're the one who needs a vacation.
Trump accomplished more in four years that helped America than any other president did in eight. THIS is why they hate Trump. He was the most competent skilled leader we've ever had. He did things others only talked about.

Trump accomplished more in four years that helped America than any other president did in eight. THIS is why they hate Trump. He was the most competent skilled leader we've ever had. He did things others only talked about.
You live in a fantasy world, talk to those in your bubble, be happy.

Yes, he accomplished being impeached twice and voted out of office in one term.

Yes, he accomplished being impeached twice and voted out of office in one term.
The impeachments were nothing more than partisan charades, and he was never voted out of office. You're 0 for 5 so far, mate, counting your other post.

You should have maybe articulated that better because Grand Mal also read it the same way as I did. Maybe start there before you call people "injit".

Also I don't believe for one second that American Patriotism is as shallow as one song. As Grandmal pointed out conservative Canadians would have pushed back at first in regard to GTSQ not being sung but people move on and it would be the same in the US.
You should have maybe thought about what I wrote and its meaning or asked for clarification before responding in the fashion you did. I never called anyone an injit, I said that an injit could understand what I had spelled out.

The song itself has deeper meaning for some then others, take for instance myself, my family was at Jamestown, I'm a Son of the Revolution, my family has fought in every major war from Revolution through Vietnam (myself serving but no war transpiring during my tenure) my 8th Great Grandfather was at Fort McHenry at the Battle of Baltimore. So I have a direct and distinct connection. There are millions like me. The anthem is sung with heartfelt emotion and pride not just something to hum along to.

Perhaps you've not seen the fallout from the NFL's decision? Viewership hasn't been so low.

Patriotism is being purposefully attacked by the left. So don't imagine that patriotism isn't so shallow for some, as they accuse even those who dip their toe into it of being a "right-wing extremist".

** And now I'm just gonna brag, for the song GSTQ/K too has more meaning for me than probably most of the people in England now too. (Obviously more than a bunch of damned Canadians... You see my lineage is such that we've fought as a Colonel of Calvary for William and Mary's Glorious Revolution, we were Sheriffs of London, we sat on the privy council of Henry V and we buried King Harold after the Norman Conquest...

My history runs deep, the problem with most people today is they no nothing of their history, their people, their culture, their ancestor's and their place in it. So they make up shit to bitch about because they think it gives them meaning.. They couldn't be more clueless.

Last edited:
Never understood the need for America to play the anthem before every single sporting event. Just play it before big games like everyone else. If anything it gives it more meaning.

Dont you all play anthems before every soccer game in the UK? Whats with the holding kids hands? I imagine it all started as a way to create nationalism in bigger global games and then spread to all games. I dont see why people think its wrong though except that some people decided everything about America was wrong and to be targeted.

The national anthem has NOTHING to do with athletic competition.

When I become emperor, I'm going to replace the national anthem with the opening theme music from Sanford and Son.

Why does it matter?
They used to sing "God Save The King" in movie theatres and there were probably lots of pissed-off conservatives when they stopped but I bet nobody would want it brought back now. It would be the same in the USA 5 years after they stopped singing the anthem at sports events, nobody would want to bring it back.

I'm old enough to remember the N/A being played in UK theatres/cinemas. It was a hangover from wartime, I think, but it was at the end of the show, half-drowned out by people leaving to catch the last bus or whatever. It died out in the late 1960's or so. It's still played before international sporting events, and between the home nations.

Can we have that Boots Randolph sax thing from Benny Hill at hockey games?

Billy Connolly had a routine around updating the anthem because it's so slow and boring, Britain was being lapped during the Olympic entrance parade!
Other countries hated it when we won, because raising the flag at the medal ceremony took hours!

Billy Connolly had a routine around updating the anthem because it's so slow and boring, Britain was being lapped during the Olympic entrance parade!
Other countries hated it when we won, because raising the flag at the medal ceremony took hours!
I used to like when an Australian won the gold and they'd play "Waltzing Matilda". It was the best national anthem but I think they've changed it since.
La Marseillaise isn't bad. Maybe we need a best anthems thread.

Back
Top Bottom