• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Coronavirus infections in the Dakotas are growing faster than anywhere else in the nation, fueling impassioned debates over masks and personal freedom after months in which the two states avoided the worst of the pandemic.

The argument over masks raged this week in Brookings, South Dakota, as the city council considered requiring face coverings in businesses. The city was forced to move its meeting to a local arena to accommodate intense interest, with many citizens speaking against it, before the mask requirement ultimately passed.

Amid the brute force of the pandemic, health experts warn that the infections must be contained before care systems are overwhelmed. North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers.
=================================================================
I always wondered about the people who live n the Dakotas.

I worked in an office with a very religious man who traveled often to the midwest selling agricultural products. I was surprised when he told me the most depressed he had ever been was when he stepped off an airliner in Fargo, ND.

Such ignorance, so sad.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Coronavirus infections in the Dakotas are growing faster than anywhere else in the nation, fueling impassioned debates over masks and personal freedom after months in which the two states avoided the worst of the pandemic.

The argument over masks raged this week in Brookings, South Dakota, as the city council considered requiring face coverings in businesses. The city was forced to move its meeting to a local arena to accommodate intense interest, with many citizens speaking against it, before the mask requirement ultimately passed.

Amid the brute force of the pandemic, health experts warn that the infections must be contained before care systems are overwhelmed. North Dakota and South Dakota lead the country in new cases per capita over the last two weeks, ranking first and second respectively, according to Johns Hopkins University researchers.

I worked in an office with a very religious man who traveled often to the midwest selling agricultural products. I was surprised when he told me the most depressed he had ever been was when he stepped off an airliner in Fargo, ND.

South Dakota has a population of roughly 890K, North Dakota has a population of roughly 770K .. and they are leading the United States in new COVID cases (not deaths) with 1500/1700 new cases and 4/14 deaths respectively? Wow! So news worthy!!

You are massively misrepresenting the truth, since BOTH of the Dakotas

20-09-12 D3 - Red vs Blue States - Cases.jpg

are well BELOW the median for the number of cases (nation wide) and

20-09-12 D1 - Red vs Blue States - Alphabetical.jpg

BELOW the median for "Red States" AND

20-09-12 D2 - Red vs Blue States - Death per Million.jpg

BELOW the median for "Deaths per Million.

[The above form of "Internet Rebuttal" has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

"Cases" are bs.

What counts are hospitalizations and the deaths FROM virus, not WITH virus, the data that is unavailable for a number of reasons. One of them that the hospitals get reimbursed more if they find the virus in the dead body.

Comparing states can be done only when the numbers are adjusted per the number of inhabitants. The purveyors of fear avoid those like a plague. Also the age of the dead.

"Cases" are bs.

What counts are hospitalizations and the deaths FROM virus, not WITH virus, the data that is unavailable for a number of reasons. One of them that the hospitals get reimbursed more if they find the virus in the dead body.

Comparing states can be done only when the numbers are adjusted per the number of inhabitants. The purveyors of fear avoid those like a plague. Also the age of the dead.

Wrong again. The virus will be under control when the case numbers drop dramatically. Until then each new case, even those with little in the way of symptoms, serves to keep the virus alive and kicking and looking for the next person to infect.

Wrong again. The virus will be under control when the case numbers drop dramatically. Until then each new case, even those with little in the way of symptoms, serves to keep the virus alive and kicking and looking for the next person to infect.

Just like the flu, COVID will always be around, and it will continue to normalize just like every other pandemic.

Wrong. If you are a case but you are not in the hospital or dead, it means squat. Sorry, you need a kleenex.

Do you recall being told way back that the shutdown was needed to flatten out the curve? Well, the curve is flat, hospitals laid off people and are begging for patients, but the little Hitlers like de-whatever are still drunk with their power to inflict pain. Look at the death rates in NY. Guess what, nobody is dying. Stubborn people, refusing to go with the leftists' narrative.

Well, a little while ago it was Hawaii

Wrong. If you are a case but you are not in the hospital or dead, it means squat. Sorry, you need a kleenex.

Do you recall being told way back that the shutdown was needed to flatten out the curve? Well, the curve is flat, hospitals laid off people and are begging for patients, but the little Hitlers like de-whatever are still drunk with their power to inflict pain. Look at the death rates in NY. Guess what, nobody is dying. Stubborn people, refusing to go with the leftists' narrative.

No, it just means you're a super spreader....like a Typhoid Mary.

You are massively misrepresenting the truth, since BOTH of the Dakotas

are well BELOW the median for the number of cases (nation wide) and

BELOW the median for "Red States" AND

BELOW the median for "Deaths per Million.

[The above form of "Internet Rebuttal" has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

Penn. is a Red state?(LOL)

Florida is a Purple state

Just like the flu, COVID will always be around, and it will continue to normalize just like every other pandemic.

Except Covid 19 isn't anything like the flu. It's more contagious, more deadly and more insideous because of what it does to the body. It's a vascular disease and has more in common with ebola than it does the flu.

I'm hoping it will be more like the 1918 influenza and go away after two years. But there are more people today...and a lot more idiots...so it will probably last longer.

No, it just means you're a super spreader....like a Typhoid Mary.
So what if nobody runs to the ER or dies?

These discussions would be a lot more productive if the posters declared what POV they represent. If it's the survival of the species - which means Darvin, the guy leftistas love when attacking religions - or, at the other end of the spectrum - your own behind.

From the survival of the species perspective, that virus is a gift from God himself and a reminder that abusing your body with crappy food, booze, cigarettes, and drugs is a very bad idea that tends to shorten life.

But everybody already knows it, so who gives a damn.

BTW, that was pure Darwin, so jump to his throat, not mine.

Do you understand that each new case prolongs the time that the virus will be around. Each new case is a risk of infection to someone else. It doesn't matter to the virus if you live or die, just that it spreads to new hosts. That's why stupid people going around getting the virus because they think it doesn't matter are simply helping it to spread.

As to the next untruth, the death rates in NY happened before. Have you looked at the current rates......yep, low. Want to know why? Because they learned how to get with the program, wear masks and stay socially distant even while reopening the economy.

If you're looking for little Hitlers, you are looking in the wrong place.

And while you're looking, try to get a bit of education on how virology works. You'd make more sense if you knew. At this point you are simply an embarrassment to those who actually know how it works.

Perhaps. I hope that is true, but for now, no one knows. There are reports that people are getting the virus a second time after recovering. Studies are still going on about that. Hopefully a vaccine will help. I hope that's true too but I'm not going to make any predictions based on hopes and wishes.

At this time however we only know that some countries have pushed the virus down to a level that they can track individual cases and deal with breakouts as small contained events. The did it by wearing masks, maintaining social distance and the did it so well that their economies are recovering while ours is dying. Seems like we have a choice to make as to which way we want to go.

These discussions would be a lot more productive if the posters declared what POV they represent. If it's the survival of the species - which means Darvin, the guy leftistas love when attacking religions - or, at the other end of the spectrum - your own behind.

From the survival of the species perspective, that virus is a gift from God himself and a reminder that abusing your body with crappy food, booze, cigarettes, and drugs is a very bad idea that tends to shorten life.

But people are running to the ER and dying...and so will you if you get it bad enough. And even if you survive, you could have long term implications such as brain, lung, liver and/or heart damage. It's not worth the risk.

Where I stand on the issue is ...I believe in the science and I want to survive and reduce the risk of getting it by any feasible measure. Survival of the smartest. So I dunno, does that make me a Darwinist? If so, I'm fine with that.

why. Your throat is exposed as well. Stupid is stupid man and you can't duck that.

"Cases" are bs.

Quite right! There hasn't actually been a single case of anyone dying from COVID-19 while their heart was still beating and that means that all of those so-called "COVID-19 deaths" were actually due to heart failure.

Not only that, but there hasn't actually been a single case of anyone dying from a MVA while their heart was still beating and that means that all of those so-called "MVA deaths" were actually due to heart failure.

Not only that, but there hasn't actually been a single case of anyone dying from a gunshot wound while their heart was still beating and that means that all of those so-called "gunshot deaths" were actually due to heart failure.

In fact there hasn't actually been a single case of anyone dying from a terrorist attack while their heart was still beating and that means that all of those so-called "terrorist attack deaths" were actually due to heart failure.

[The above has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules.

These hillbilly areas could have avoided this plague altogether with simple mask use, social distancing and no gatherings.

Trumpism is so sad.

Well, a little while ago it was Hawaii

Hawai'i will just have to try harder - won't it?

20-09-12 D3 - Red vs Blue States - Cases.jpg

And those "Red States" will just have to try harder if they want to cash in on the gravy train over that so-called "COVID-19" - right?

20-09-12 D1 - Red vs Blue States - Alphabetical.jpg
20-09-11 D1a - Red vs Blue States - SUMMARY.JPG

Penn. is a Red state?(LOL)

Florida is a Purple state

The determination of which states are "Red" and which states are "Blue" is made by Vaughn's Summaries and are based on the 2016 election results. I'm more than willing to consider any intelligent and logical argument as to whether a specific state should be considered either a "Red" or a "Blue" state, but let's do that by PM - OK?

Your comment doesn't qualify under the "intelligent and logical argument" criterion.

Actually it is the exact opposite of Darwin's theory since it is not "the fit that survive" but rather it is those that survive that are "fit to perpetrate the species".

To illustrate, in the UK between 1914 and 1919, a male between the ages of 17 and 45 with TB was more likely to survive than a male between the ages of 17 and 45 without TB. Since that person was more likely to survive, they were more likely to breed and ensure the continuation of the species. Therefore that person was more "fit".

Red state morons.

Perhaps. I hope that is true, but for now, no one knows. There are reports that people are getting the virus a second time after recovering. Studies are still going on about that. Hopefully a vaccine will help. I hope that's true too but I'm not going to make any predictions based on hopes and wishes.

At this time however we only know that some countries have pushed the virus down to a level that they can track individual cases and deal with breakouts as small contained events. The did it by wearing masks, maintaining social distance and the did it so well that their economies are recovering while ours is dying. Seems like we have a choice to make as to which way we want to go.

COVID-19 belongs to the same classification of diseases as does "the common cold". That means that infection produces only "transitory immunity".

I rather suspect that finding a vaccine that will totally cure/prevent COVID-19 is on the same order of probability as finding a vaccine that will totally cure/prevent "the common cold".

However, over generations, "the common cold" no longer kills.

Back
Top Bottom