• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daily exercise log

That's the thing. I don't want to gain. I just want pretty arms. I don't mind being strong, but I don't want size, just a nice, toned shape.

It's like everything. It seems the "collective wisdom" flips every once in a while.

I hear that a LOT from women who are interested in lifting. Don't worry, you don't really have the hormonal system to 'get big' just by lifting.

Yeah, I suppose I'm not the one to listen to on that. I will say I've noticed the biggest two factors for me, a person not going for toned, are consistency over time with getting workouts in and maintaining low bodyfat%.

May main goals now have to do with addressing a decade of running without doing leg lifts, only upper body...

I'll take that advice! Thank you.

What do you have to address in not doing leg lifts?

I hear that a LOT from women who are interested in lifting. Don't worry, you don't really have the hormonal system to 'get big' just by lifting.

LOL, I keep forgetting that that my hormones won't let that happen. Bulk is just so not my goal.

i thought that logging daily exercise might make for a fun thread. I have done this on another site since 2010 or so, and it helps me to maintain a healthy weight and to hold myself accountable. i might post a little more about my own weight loss story in this thread from time to time. if there's a good response to this, i'll sticky it.

today : took a half hour walk in my hometown. later, i'll be packing up and doing some stair climbing.

It takes me a half an hour just to think about walking through downtown on main street that is a half a mile.

Lifting the wallet, lifting the check book, lifting the credit card but I have only met on gal that was interested in lifting weight....

I'll take that advice! Thank you.

What do you have to address in not doing leg lifts?

My legs got pretty weak as compared to upper over the years. To demonstrate.

Basically, I weigh ~195lbs, fluctuating. My first six sets @ dips have an extra 150lb strapped around my waist. So 345lb combined.

But my deadlifts, now that I resumed? Highest sets are 2 reps @ 275lb, usually do about four of those before working my way down. So 470lb combined. AND, more annoying to me is that back in senior year of high school my deadlift sets started at 365lb...

Seems a bit unbalanced. Keep it up, and I'll look somewhat bulky on top, "chicken legs" on bottom, if I don't already....

I mainly exercise for the mental health/energy/concentration benefits, but I do admit that I like the side-effects of putting a lot of work in all around. I'm no bodybuilder, but I like being able to tell myself "allright, you're XX years old and in better condition than Y% of people twenty years younger, etc." I have various goals along the lines of "ok, once I can do sets at this, I'm not pushing higher, just maintaining". The wife certainly approves. I also want to remain as mobile as possible as I age. (It'd also be a pleasing benefit if one day I end up in an article about "this 80 year old overpowered a burglar and duct-taped him to the wall".....like that article about the 82 year old grandma 'powerlifter' who dealt with an intruder.

The main thing will be maintaining running despite the added stress on my legs. It was more difficult but didn't feel like undue stress to lift then run when I was much younger. But the older I get, the easier it is to injure myself. And that too often turns into a long unintended break.

Anyway, off to shovel soon.

:groan:

Last edited:
Note to self: do not do extended legs workouts two days in a row and then shovel on the third. This becomes uncomfortable.

My legs got pretty weak as compared to upper over the years. To demonstrate.

Basically, I weigh ~195lbs, fluctuating. My first six sets @ dips have an extra 150lb strapped around my waist. So 345lb combined.

But my deadlifts, now that I resumed? Highest sets are 2 reps @ 275lb, usually do about four of those before working my way down. So 470lb combined. AND, more annoying to me is that back in senior year of high school my deadlift sets started at 365lb...

Seems a bit unbalanced. Keep it up, and I'll look somewhat bulky on top, "chicken legs" on bottom, if I don't already....

I mainly exercise for the mental health/energy/concentration benefits, but I do admit that I like the side-effects of putting a lot of work in all around. I'm no bodybuilder, but I like being able to tell myself "allright, you're XX years old and in better condition than Y% of people twenty years younger, etc." I have various goals along the lines of "ok, once I can do sets at this, I'm not pushing higher, just maintaining". The wife certainly approves. I also want to remain as mobile as possible as I age. (It'd also be a pleasing benefit if one day I end up in an article about "this 80 year old overpowered a burglar and duct-taped him to the wall".....like that article about the 82 year old grandma 'powerlifter' who dealt with an intruder.

The main thing will be maintaining running despite the added stress on my legs. It was more difficult but didn't feel like undue stress to lift then run when I was much younger. But the older I get, the easier it is to injure myself. And that too often turns into a long unintended break.

Anyway, off to shovel soon.

:groan:

I got you. Symmetry and balance is an issue.

My biggest motivation is that I don't want to go through what some of my elders have. The lack of mobility scares me. Taking care of now, will help with taking care of later. I also want to be that healthy person of a certain age who can take care of business too. :)

I was going to say something about working out helping with the snow shoveling, but I saw your last post. :D

Yay! I hit 3 miles in 30:07 minutes! Wasn't sure I would get there, but for whatever reason, I managed it.

Still trying to get back on track, but Im sometimes getting a nerve pain that shoots up my leg the night after Ive had my 30 minute run. Ugh.

Yay! I hit 3 miles in 30:07 minutes! Wasn't sure I would get there, but for whatever reason, I managed it.

I just managed to walk 1.65 miles (3570 steps) in 32 minutes, but its 15°F and there is snow on the sidewalks.

My walking app has a goal for me to do 6000 steps a day.

I just managed to walk 1.65 miles (3570 steps) in 32 minutes, but its 15°F and there is snow on the sidewalks.

My walking app has a goal for me to do 6000 steps a day.

Oh my gosh! How difficult was that! Slogging through snow is a work out, but in 15 degrees? You're heart had to be pumping. You deserve extra credit for that!

Oh my gosh! How difficult was that! Slogging through snow is a workout, but in 15 degrees? You're heart had to be pumping. You deserve extra credit for that!

It wasn't deep snow but there was snow covering the sidewalks in many places and there was ice under it so in many places I had to walk like I was wearing 4" heels. My lungs burned from sucking in the cold air. I should be walking more because this has been a relatively mild winter for northern Ohio.

The most depressing part is looking at my pedometer app when it says that only burned 175 calories.

It wasn't deep snow but there was snow covering the sidewalks in many places and there was ice under it so in many places I had to walk like I was wearing 4" heels. My lungs burned from sucking in the cold air. I should be walking more because this has been a relatively mild winter for northern Ohio.

The most depressing part is looking at my pedometer app when it says that only burned 175 calories.

Oh, yes! I figured you would have to walk carefully if the snow wasn't deep. It's work out either way and in such cold air, I think it's harder.

What a bummer. I wish pedometer's gave you extra credit for the extra effort. You surely burned more calories than that. Trying to keep from falling on ice, is a full body effort.

Oh, yes! I figured you would have to walk carefully if the snow wasn't deep. It's work out either way and in such cold air, I think it's harder.

What a bummer. I wish pedometer gave you extra credit for the extra effort. You surely burned more calories than that. Trying to keep from falling on ice, is a full-body effort.

I already feel it in my butt and I will be sore tomorrow so I need to remember to stretch before I go to bed in a few minutes.

There are some people who refuse to shovel their sidewalks. They don't seem to understand that people walk dogs, some of us walk for exercise and the USPS person needs to be able to deliver their junk mail. I have thought about getting a pair of Yaktrax for my shoes but I keep putting it off. Somebody in the neighborhood has them because I saw the imprints that they leave in the snow and ice.

Yaktrax

I already feel it in my butt and I will be sore tomorrow so I need to remember to stretch before I go to bed in a few minutes.

There are some people who refuse to shovel their sidewalks. They don't seem to understand that people walk dogs, some of us walk for exercise and the USPS person needs to be able to deliver their junk mail. I have thought about getting a pair of Yaktrax for my shoes but I keep putting it off. Somebody in the neighborhood has them because I saw the imprints that they leave in the snow and ice.

Yaktrax

Yep, walking on ice is full body effort! I hope you'll get your stretch in and feel good in the morning.

Those are nifty! I don't live where it consistently snows, but when it does, it's a literal pain in the bottom because it eventually melts a bit, then ices over. It would be neat to have something like Yaktrax to be able to walk with greater ease and peace of mind. Thanks!

Yesterday, I took it easy. Just did 2.8 miles in 30 minutes. I couldn't sleep the night before and woke up exhausted.
Today I did a HIIT, because I can't run tomorrow. Did the same distance in 30 minutes, but on my high intensity intervals, I was running 7.4 mph for the minute. Another new personal best. Before today, I could rarely hit 7.0 for the minute.

My weeks typically look like this:

Monday: Mostly a rest day. 200 to 240 push-ups, split into sets of 30. Usually so many standard pushups, so many decline pushups and so on. Deadlift, Squats (not overly heavy since I run so much, usually 50 pound goblet squats - 3 sets of 10).

Tuesday: 5 mile run, 100 pull-ups / chin-ups in sets of 10 to 12.

Wednesday: 5 mile run.

Thursday: Bench heavy, some shoulder work, lots of core / abs work. 100 push-ups. 4 mile run.

Friday: 5 mile run, 80 pull-ups.

Saturday: Barbell Shoulder press, barbell rows, core, dips, rows, core, bench, rows, core, Landmine press, loaded caries. This is my hardest weight lifting workout of the week, done in circuits, no rest between exercises other than maybe walking off the heavy ones.

Sunday: 10 to 13 mile long run.

Been doing this for my whole life. I am 43 and still rocking abs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_145436.jpg
    IMG_20190724_145436.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 33
Yesterday, I wanted to go a bit farther, so I did 3 1/2 miles in 34 minutes. And I lifted for 1/2 hour. Two sets of 15 reps, upper body.

Today I ended up getting 4 miles in. I did the 3 in 31 minutes but I wasn't feeling done, so I did another 1/2 mile walking at 6.0 incline and then the other 1/2 mile at 6.4 mph. Just trying to mix it up. :)

Definitely not going to post the daily log. Finally all caught up to where I was in 2014 before I screwed up both shoulders pretty badly. Progress has naturally been quite pleasing since Jan. 6 (bar for deadlift + weights arrived), top set up ~30lbs with the others comparably increased, more reps, longer total workout.

I have been running less, though. Oh well, I'll find a balance.

I have a nice workout room in my basement complete with a bench ( which I almost only use for leg curls ), a heavy bag, Bas Ruten training CD's, pull-up bar, mats and all the dumbells I'll ever need.

I decided to stop throwing time & $$ down the drain going to "fitness clubs" and invested in these items. NOW the only challenge is getting down there and using it .. which I do regularly.

I find that once you make a habit of it, you don't feel right unless you get some work in... a healthy habit !! .. about TIME for me LOL

As far as keeping a log, I'll do so one of these days when I impress myself with a good workout LOL

I bridge every day though, I don't know why but it just makes me feel better.

Those who don't have the space for such things, can STILL get good work outs using good sets of body weight exercises - there are hundreds of great ones... even in a small area.

But it CAN be a challenge to get yourself to DO them I know LOL . . . make it a habit, a GOOD habit.. if I can anyone can : )

Last edited:
I hate sounding like a broken record, so I haven't posted in a while, though I have been running daily, lifting not so consistently.

I got a new Fitbit. My last one died a few years ago. The design wasn't meant for everyday over more than a year. That was evident when the case cracked and pulled apart.

I saw an ad for a Versa 2 and bought it. I've had it 7 days now. It makes a big difference in my enthusiasm level. Which I'm not proud of because it's more or less like a rat hitting the feeder bar. LOL But it's much more convenient than writing in a journal. Plus I can track my sleep.

versa2.jpg

I do feel more inspired to improve my running time and distance. I had a couple 4 mile runs this week and I'm keeping below, at or near my goal of 3 miles in 30 minutes.

Today did a standard, easy quick routine & will do other single exercises the rest of the day off & on

Ran 25 minutes, one round on heavy bag to Bas Rutens All round fighting CD and 65 standard push-ups in a row - last 5 were tough, I usually can only do 50 or 60 but pushed five more

Later will do some abs - V-ups, Russian twists with weight, some Turkish get-ups & pull-ups & other whatever else seems good at the time

i thought that logging daily exercise might make for a fun thread. I have done this on another site since 2010 or so, and it helps me to maintain a healthy weight and to hold myself accountable. i might post a little more about my own weight loss story in this thread from time to time. if there's a good response to this, i'll sticky it.

today : took a half hour walk in my hometown. later, i'll be packing up and doing some stair climbing.
I have been doing approximately five miles/three times a week on a stationary bike since the New Year. I have the bike positioned so I can exercise while watching television. Last night, I had a burst of energy and did ten miles. I sit on my butt in an office all day, so an exercise routine is important for me to be healthy. When the weather is nice, my husband and I sometimes do ten to twenty miles stretches.

I have been doing approximately five miles/three times a week on a stationary bike since the New Year. I have the bike positioned so I can exercise while watching television. Last night, I had a burst of energy and did ten miles. I sit on my butt in an office all day, so an exercise routine is important for me to be healthy. When the weather is nice, my husband and I sometimes do ten to twenty miles stretches.

Exercise is like crack. The more you do it, the more you want it.

Ran for the first time in over a month. (Foot pain had me limping. No idea what I did).

Foot was pinging the whole time and has been aching since, but I managed it. Whatever it is, it'll heal. My foot needs to stop bitching.

Back
Top Bottom