• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dads! Do you teach your sons about birth control?

Do you teach your sons about birth control?

• Total voters

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Do you talk to them about the consequences of unprotected sex? Discuss the ramifications of an 18-year child support order on their lives? Tell them that some women (girls) will mislead them about the protection they themselves are using? Explain to them how their lives will be irrevocably changed if they get a girl pregnant? Really walk them through the consequences? Discuss protection with them? Give them condoms? How far do you go to protect your son from the burden of an unwanted pregnancy?

Poll up in a minute.

Up for an hour. Not one response.

I think I just found the problem.

I'm not a Dad, but I 100% agree that the responsibility needs to be shared between all parties involved.... :thumbs:

Do you talk to them about the consequences of unprotected sex? Discuss the ramifications of an 18-year child support order on their lives? Tell them that some women (girls) will mislead them about the protection they themselves are using? Explain to them how their lives will be irrevocably changed if they get a girl pregnant? Really walk them through the consequences? Discuss protection with them? Give them condoms? How far do you go to protect your son from the burden of an unwanted pregnancy?

Poll up in a minute.

No question about it, I will when they're old enough. My mother got pregnant with me in HS, so I felt the effects, avoided getting a girl pregnant before marriage and will teach my kids to avoid it as well.

Poll up in a minute.

No sons of my own, but I make it a point to discuss such issues with all of the young ones (both male and female) in my extended family.

Poll up in a minute.
If it takes a whole minute to get your poll up, talk to your doctor, they make a pill for that now.

I was on another forum talking about rifles, and YouTube learning how to tie a couple different knots for work. Excuuuuuusssss me!

My boys are 12 and 9, and no I haven't lectured them about safe sex. In fact I probably never will have "the talk" with them because imo that's the worst possible way to do it. Instead I pay attention to what's going on in their lives (as best I can, anyway, given the situation) and speak into their lives as appropriate.

Had a daughter. Had those talks with her.

Poll up in a minute.

3 boys - yep. . . and not even in a 'sit down, son, let's talk' sense - but just a constant, random, casual topic brought up every time the opportunity presents itself (IE: we're watching tv, the kids mention 'when I grow up and have kids' or 'I want a girlfriend')

I figured that a steady stream of knowledge over their lifetime will amount to brainwashing . . . lol . . . only the reasonable kids who likely wouldn't get into that trouble to begin with sit down and listen to that 'birds and the bees' talk the once or twice it comes up.

My parents were 'every now and then we'll talk about it - sort of' . . . when I was 17 and sexually active, I didn't think about the possibility of getting pregnant. Neither did my boyfriend who became father to two of my kids.

I'm not taking that approach. I'm not pretending to be nervous (which I am) or stupid (which I'm not) and assume my kids will listen to me only because I want them to. They will not listen to me - because I'm mom . . . they will listen to that inner caution that keeps them out of trouble, though, and that is built on experiences and everything else.

Most parents talk about the dangers of not going to college, or not buckling their seat belt, more than they talk about pregnancy and how to avoid it. That's the opposite of how it should be.

I was on another forum talking about rifles, and YouTube learning how to tie a couple different knots for work. Excuuuuuusssss me!

My boys are 12 and 9, and no I haven't lectured them about safe sex. In fact I probably never will have "the talk" with them because imo that's the worst possible way to do it. Instead I pay attention to what's going on in their lives (as best I can, anyway, given the situation) and speak into their lives as appropriate.

Then I was right. You are part of the problem.

I'm not a Dad, but I 100% agree that the responsibility needs to be shared between all parties involved.... :thumbs:

I'm not a dad either, but I didn't wait for the schools to provide sex ed.

I think Aunt Spiker has it right, it's a lifetime conversation that involves much more than the sex talk and warnings about pregnancy.

No need to be an ass.

Didn't know I was. What would you think of a mother who didn't talk to her daughter about sex? Maybe you wouldn't care.

But part of being a parent is keeping your kids out of harm's way. I can think of few things more life-altering harmful than a boy getting a girl pregnant who then decides to keep the baby. His life is forever changed. All his hopes, your hopes for him -- all gone in a puff of smoke.

I'm not a dad either, but I didn't wait for the schools to provide sex ed.

One nephew I didn't have much contact with while he was growing up, and I doubt his Dad had that discussion.

My other nephew, also my Godson, is at that age where he will start asking questions, and I know my brother will do his best.... and I will do my best also.... I want so much for him, but early fatherhood isn't part of it.

My parents never imagined I was the one to get knocked up between us three girls . . and I did.

I was sexually active by the age of 7 - first had sex when I was 9 . . . and never really stopped messing around with boys, ever, it just eventually caught up to me. When I was 5 and caught masturbating - that should have been a dead giveaway which put them on high alert. My father's a minister and I guess that put them in some state of 'our children are all moral and just' or something.

In my view: there's no such thing as 'signs' . . . I was 12 when my parents had the first birds-and-the-bees talk and, already, I wasn't a virgin. I already shared a sex life with someone (heh - several someones) and had friends tell me all I didn't know.

Didn't know I was. What would you think of a mother who didn't talk to her daughter about sex? Maybe you wouldn't care.

But part of being a parent is keeping your kids out of harm's way. I can think of few things more life-altering harmful than a boy getting a girl pregnant who then decides to keep the baby. His life is forever changed. All his hopes, your hopes for him -- all gone in a puff of smoke.
All I get is a ****ing phone call maybe 3 times a week. I haven't seen my children since last Christmas due to the X and her legal games. Maybe it's time for you to step down from your soap box and shut your ****ing mouth.

All I get is a ****ing phone call maybe 3 times a week. I haven't seen my children since last Christmas due to the X and her legal games. Maybe it's time for you to step down from your soap box and shut your ****ing mouth.

WTH is wrong with you???? Why didn't you just say you didn't have custody and rarely saw them?? Why the dishonest answer?? This isn't a soap box post. Do you not find the FACT that hardly any male has stepped into this thread and said, "Yes, I plan to have that talk with my son," telling?? I sure do.

I'm sorry you don't have custody of your kids, Jerry. Sorry you rarely see them. Chill, for heaven's sake.

My parents never imagined I was the one to get knocked up between us three girls . . and I did.

I was sexually active by the age of 7 - first had sex when I was 9 . . . and never really stopped messing around with boys, ever, it just eventually caught up to me. When I was 5 and caught masturbating - that should have been a dead giveaway which put them on high alert. My father's a minister and I guess that put them in some state of 'our children are all moral and just' or something.

In my view: there's no such thing as 'signs' . . . I was 12 when my parents had the first birds-and-the-bees talk and, already, I wasn't a virgin. I already shared a sex life with someone (heh - several someones) and had friends tell me all I didn't know.
I don't know what you mean by "signs".

I was contrasting 1 lecture against an ongoing open line of communication. I proffer the open communication to the stereotypical "talk".

As for your being sexually active at 7, I can't relate, I was thinking about Voltron and Thundercats at 7. Had my first kiss at 12, sex at 17, divorced at 28 and have abstained since. We're from different worlds.

WTH is wrong with you?
Would you like the answer alphabetically or chronologically?

Why didn't you just say you didn't have custody and rarely saw them?
Did I not....

You jumped to your own conclusion before asking what 'the situation' was. You made ASSumptions, thus you were being an ass.

Why the dishonest answer?
Why are you lying about me being dishonest?

This isn't a soap box post. Do you not find the FACT that hardly any male has stepped into this thread and said, "Yes, I plan to have that talk with my son," telling?? I sure do.
You made this thread on a Sunday morning right after mass usually begins. A majority chunk of DP's members are white CHRISTIAN males, Americans, likely still in church, or with family at lunch, which you very well know is a common weekly tradition after church. Other people either have already had 'the talk' and thus won't have it again, or are like me and proffer to deal with the topic in a different way than a single 'talk', or just don't want to talk about it, or don't even ever visit this part of the forum.

I find nothing unusual about sluggish results to a poll made on Sunday morning.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by "signs".

I was contrasting 1 lecture against an ongoing open line of communication. I proffer the open communication to the stereotypical "talk".

As for your being sexually active at 7, I can't relate, I was thinking about Voltron and Thundercats at 7. Had my first kiss at 12, sex at 17, divorced at 28 and have abstained since. We're from different worlds.

Yes - we are different. My parents were both virgins until they married at the age of 22/25. You never know how your kids are going to be in contrast to you, which makes it very difficult sometimes.

You mentioned 'signs' - I assume you mean showing an interest in girls / dating / adult themes? . . . I just responded with food for thought: sometimes there are no 'signs' to be seen.

I was just giving you some food for thought. You never know.

Would you like the answer alphabetically or chronologically?

Did I not....

You jumped to your own conclusion before asking what 'the situation' was. You made ASSumptions, thus you were being an ass.

Why are you lying about me being dishonest?

Nope. They either have already had 'the talk' and thus won't have it again, or aren't even at home right now since a majority chunk of DP's members are which CHRISTIAN males likely still in church, are like me and proffer to deal with the topic in a different way than a single 'talk', or just don't want to talk about it.

First you tell me to shut my ****ing mouth. Then you tell me I'm an ass. I like your style.

You mentioned 'signs' - I assume you mean showing an interest in girls / dating / adult themes? . . . I just responded with food for thought: sometimes there are no 'signs' to be seen.
Bro I didn't say anything about 'signs'. In fact, no one did. I don't know where you want to go with the idea of 'signs'. I'm sorry but I have nothing to offer that line of thought.

You were originally quoting my post #7, and in that post I was focusing on how the topic is dealt with, a single lecture or an ongoing channel of open communication. I proffer the ongoing communication to a single 'talk'. That's all I was saying.

Last edited:
First you tell me to shut my ****ing mouth. Then you tell me I'm an ass. I like your style.
I said you were being an ass in post #12. I told you to shut your ****ing mouth in post #17. Do you see how you aren't able to keep events and facts in order? That is the problem.

Last edited:
Do Americans have this in sex ed. class or no?

Back
Top Bottom