• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dads! Do you teach your sons about birth control?

Do you teach your sons about birth control?

• Total voters
What about moms? :mrgreen:

Well, ya' know? I started this thread because of another thread. (How often does THAT happen?) So often I've heard men say, "It's a woman's responsibility. SHE'S the one that's going to get pregnant." But, in reality, it's the GUY who hands all of his power over to a woman when he has unprotected sex. If I had a son, I would just DIE if he, at 18, got some 17-year-old pregnant. All of his hopes, my hopes for him, his dreams . . . everything in the garbage. Child support for the next 18 years . . . baby's mama drama . . . working under the table to avoid child support . . . (happens all the time) . . . what a nightmare for a GUY. And, of course, a guy has absolutely no control over the outcome -- to carry to term or NOT.

That's why I started to thread. To remind fathers (and moms) that they need to have a heart-to-heart real sex talk with their sons.

:rofl That's hilarious. Was he still laughing after your talk. My son always looked at me as if he was horrified. Lol!

That's the way my daughter always was. Soooo resistant to "the talk," and I mean the really important one. Finally, I just left supplies....

Well, ya' know? I started this thread because of another thread. (How often does THAT happen?) So often I've heard men say, "It's a woman's responsibility. SHE'S the one that's going to get pregnant." But, in reality, it's the GUY who hands all of his power over to a woman when he has unprotected sex. If I had a son, I would just DIE if he, at 18, got some 17-year-old pregnant. All of his hopes, my hopes for him, his dreams . . . everything in the garbage. Child support for the next 18 years . . . baby's mama drama . . . working under the table to avoid child support . . . (happens all the time) . . . what a nightmare for a GUY. And, of course, a guy has absolutely no control over the outcome -- to carry to term or NOT.

That's why I started to thread. To remind fathers (and moms) that they need to have a heart-to-heart real sex talk with their sons.

Oh, yes. Becoming a father changes a boy's entire life. I will say, though, that I've met many young men who accepted responsibility and that life-change and turned out to be wonderful fathers.

It is a very good and important point to make. :) It might be a little embarrassing, but it's worth the trouble! I actually think my son was more embarrassed than I was. Lol!

That's the way my daughter always was. Soooo resistant to "the talk," and I mean the really important one. Finally, I just left supplies....

Well, he wasn't really resistant, he was just a little embarrassed I think.

jerry. you are one of my favorite forum members. i can always expect a straight forward response from you
so, please accept this in the positive way that it is intended
you scare me
the way you lashed out in this thread causes me to wonder if you have someone to talk to. where you can spill your guts, express your anger, and point out the ****ty hand you have recently been dealt in life
find somebody who will sit down with you and listen to what you have to say. someone who will listen to you vent. someone who will let you get much of the anger out of your system so that you can go forward and quit living life looking in the rear view mirror
and if you don't do it for you, then do it for your kids; so they will have a healthy father in their future, someone not consumed by wrongs which are beyond your control to correct
truly sorry you are going thru this, Jerry
I appreciate the thought, but talking hasn't solved anything over the years, so I don't see how more talking would solve anything in the future.

And besides, if I open up to the VA or whoever at this point it'll only lead to my permits being suspended, my X using it against me in court, and I'll get flagged in the Army which is never a good thing. I'm ****ed no matter what I do.

Last edited:
I don't have kids yet, but when I do I absolutely intend to educate any sons I may have on sex and protecting themselves from the risks associated with it.

Do you talk to them about the consequences of unprotected sex? Discuss the ramifications of an 18-year child support order on their lives? Tell them that some women (girls) will mislead them about the protection they themselves are using? Explain to them how their lives will be irrevocably changed if they get a girl pregnant? Really walk them through the consequences? Discuss protection with them? Give them condoms? How far do you go to protect your son from the burden of an unwanted pregnancy?

Poll up in a minute.

As odd as it sounds I had to teach my lover about it. His parents never said such things to him. Safe sex, contraception and even procreation. He knew the basics but only just. He is gay, but he was curious about my post relationships.

Our boy gets that education from me as well. He is gay so he is a little off put by discussing such things with me but i imagine all teenagers are.

yer luver was in danger of becoming preggers? :confused:

Do you talk to them about the consequences of unprotected sex? Discuss the ramifications of an 18-year child support order on their lives? Tell them that some women (girls) will mislead them about the protection they themselves are using? Explain to them how their lives will be irrevocably changed if they get a girl pregnant? Really walk them through the consequences? Discuss protection with them? Give them condoms? How far do you go to protect your son from the burden of an unwanted pregnancy?

Poll up in a minute.

sure, both pre and post birth!!:mrgreen:

Poll up in a minute.

I told them to get as much p**** as you possibly can while you are young and single but ALWAYS use protection.

My dad always told me to wrap my willy before I get silly or don't come home if you become a father. That's one way to put it.

Poll up in a minute.

I am not a dad, but you can bet your backside that I had that talk with my sons. I told them that if they ended up getting a gal pregnant, they would be getting a job to support their baby, and yes, I told them that girls should not be trusted with birth control. Although I was very smart about birth control myself, I don't trust other girls to be. The unintended teen pregnancy rate is enough to confirm that.

Well, and even super-rich celebs can be super-dumb. Simon Cowell fell for the oldest trick in the book.

No, of course not, but it just surprised me how little he knew, he was 19 when I met him. I can't believe his parents didn't say a word to him about it.

That is sadly common. Americans are so uptight about sexuality that rather than have a conversation with our kids to help prepare them we slip pamphlets in their underwear drawer or leave it to health ed class in school cross our fingers and close our eyes. My kids and I talked about it, uncomfortable but necessary.

I told them to get as much p**** as you possibly can while you are young and single but ALWAYS use protection.

And the beat goes on....

Very depressing to me that a man would tell his son to get as much poon as he can. That's part of the larger problem, you know.

That is sadly common. Americans are so uptight about sexuality that rather than have a conversation with our kids to help prepare them we slip pamphlets in their underwear drawer or leave it to health ed class in school cross our fingers and close our eyes. My kids and I talked about it, uncomfortable but necessary.

It's sad indeed, but the strangest thing was that it w as part of their religion.

And the beat goes on....

Very depressing to me that a man would tell his son to get as much poon as he can. That's part of the larger problem, you know.

I think he's TRYING to be funny. :lol: Trying being the key word.

And the beat goes on....

I was young once and that's what I did. I thought I was being very responsible telling them to use protection and just facing reality knowing that their primary objective at that age was to have as much sex as possible. I don't understand your comment at all.

I was young once and that's what I did. I thought I was being very responsible telling them to use protection and just facing reality knowing that their primary objective at that age was to have as much sex as possible. I don't understand your comment at all.

I don't think that's every boy's goal. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom