• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DACA For The Wall?

DACA For The Wall?

• Total voters
Years ago when Obama and the rest of the Democrats wanted a wall I was against it.Now that Trump is President I want the wall.

Years ago when Obama and the rest of the Democrats wanted a wall I was against it.Now that Trump is President I want the wall.

Obama and the rest of the Democrats were never in favor of a wall in the manner Trump was talking. Then again, years ago, there actually was a border problem, but it has been substantially mitigated by actions of years ago and since.

No one has put forth a compelling, fact-based, unemotional argument as to why this wall is needed. Case in point, see below.

The compelling argument against it: very expensive and problem substantially mitigated such that wall is no longer needed.

DACA means everyone here illegally, anyone related to anyone here illegally, anyone married to anyone here illegally, and anyone related to anyone married to anyone here illegally - with no way to confirm any of it.

With DACA as Democrats present it, there is no border and with no border there is no need for a wall - and eventually no purpose for a US government. A country no longer needs a government if it is ceasing being a country. No border. No country.

Ah, so we need a wall to the north as well, eh?

Moreover, you will never get a wall without, at least, DACA. You better weigh your options as it appears you want this wall but won't give up anything for it. Something for nothin' --- we all have those fantasies.

Last edited:
Trump had his chance and blew it. Now he should go pound sand until 2020.

just wondering what both sides think

If this was the first time an amnesty would be given or I didn't know how the last amnesty for enforcement deal screwed us or I didn't know about the Bush Fence that was never completed then I could vote for a compromise for that. However I know better. The pro-illegal scum and open border scum in office would yank the funding for the wall as soon as all those illegals got their amnesty. Or they would downgrade the wall into one of those crappy fences that you can see on youtube that show people climbing into the county illegally. And even we got the wall they would start issuing visas like candy to citizens of Central and South American countries in order to undermine the wall.

Full comprehensive immigration reform with the wall and DACA a PART of that package. Let's get this issue done and put to bed for 20 years.

Deport them to where..... many DACA people were brought here at age 1-5, not by their choice They have no skills, including language, to survive in another country. I am curious where your basic sense of humanity may be that you could even utter such a thing.

How about we just deal with all aspects of immigration at once.

That part I find impossible to believe.. I seriously doubt the parents and the rest of their family gave up their native language the second they came into country illegally and just started speaking English. If anything English would be the 2nd language to those illegals who were allegedly brought here as little kids, not their primary language.Thanks to the pro-illegals in office a lot of stuff is bi-lingual so that people who come here don't have to learn English. So it is lie to say these so called dreamers don't know their native language. I am surprise more people don't call out pro-illegals when they try to spew the lie that these so called daca kids don't know Spanish.

Last edited:
YES, absolutely. DACA for the WALL.

That would be very fair to both sides.

President Obama's DACA policy was very humane. Sending those children back to a country of which they know nothing would be very cruel.

And letting people walk into our country willy-nilly is so insulting to those people who wait patiently to enter legally.

There was a time when this may have been possible but thanks to Trump that time has passed and the window of opportunity is now shut.

There was a time when this may have been possible but thanks to Trump that time has passed and the window of opportunity is now shut.

But it is Trump who is floating the idea and Democrats resisting.

Democrats don't need no ******ing wall as long as Trump is in office. First get rid of Trump and then let the democrats talk about democrat-only plans for open borders security.

This requires to remove your locks from your house too

Trump promised to sign a "bill of love" 366 days ago, on camera, that included DACA. He ended up not doing it.

You are correct.

To answer the OP, sure, trade DACA for the wall.

Trump was too generous he doubled the amount of DACA recipients that were originally included but insisted
the wall, ending the diversity lottery & sections of chain migration be among the conditions. The Democrats
then balked & the plan became history. That's the facts summed up. Why did the Dems balk it's simple:

A memo, co-authored by former Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri, was sent
around to allies calling on Democrats to “refuse to offer any votes for Republican spending bills
that do not offer a fix for Dreamers and instead appropriate funds to deport them.”
“If Democrats don’t try to do everything in their power to defend Dreamers, that will
jeopardize Democrats’ electoral chances in 2018 and beyond,” reads the memo. “In short,
the next few weeks will tell us a lot about the Democratic Party and its long-term electoral prospects.”

If illegals voted Republicans, Democrat governors would beg ICE to come to California, and New York State.
Concede the point!

Nope. I'm against the wall and don't particularly care about DACA. Time to make Trump eat his words about the wall.

Trump has overextended himself far beyond what his own party will support, never mind the Democrats.

I'll bet if he tried real hard he could come up with a reason, but DACA ain't it, and actual compromise goes against his nature anyway.

There is no reason not to let him hang himself after he brought his own rope.

Graham can shove it. He's become a Trump toady. I hope he's miserable right now. HIs brain is buried in John McCain's coffin.
Agreed. My opinion of Graham often vacillates, but usually I like him. But now I find I've been liking him less.

I know you want everything to be about Trump, but it isn't.

The Republicans promised a DACA vote and then they reneged, so Democrats have no reason to believe them now.

They made the mess and now they own it.

Wait, wait....the democrats want to open the government without funds for the wall, a wall that the leaders of the democratic party just a few years ago supported, and now negotiate later on possible funding for some kind of barricade. Does anyone really think democrats will negotiate later on this issue as long as Trump is in office? If so I have some ocean beach front property in Arizona to sell if you are interested.:2wave:

That was the deal everyone agreed on in June. Trump even expanded the number of DACA resolutions that the Democrats asked for. However, in the end the deal had to be shot down because agreeing to a border deal might have been seen as a win for Trump and, without regard to whether a deal is good for the American people or not, if it so much as might be good for Trump it can't be allowed to happen.
Luther, the sticking point was Miller (via Trump) adding in his additional "pillars", after the general agreement in principle was forged, where the added pillars became poison pills. I have every confidence the Dems would have ratified a straight-up DACA for (full) Wall deal.

Unfortunately for Trump, that train left the station when the House flipped. Now all he's likely to get is a court fight.

No.

Pro-DACA, Anti-Wall.

I don't need to agree to a pointless wall in order to do something that actually makes sense.
Yeah, but sometimes you've got to accept the political realities of accomplishing the greater good. Legislating is the epitome of the art of compromise.

Luther, the sticking point was Miller (via Trump) adding in his additional "pillars", after the general agreement in principle was forged, where the added pillars became poison pills. I have every confidence the Dems would have ratified a straight-up DACA for (full) Wall deal.

Unfortunately for Trump, that train left the station when the House flipped. Now all he's likely to get is a court fight.

The other "pillars" were stopping the visa lottery and limiting who could be sponsored to immediate family not including ancestors. The idea was to open up more visas for applicants from specific nations and to inhibit chain migration. Both of those "pillars" are good things and important to controlling the availability of visas.

DACA means everyone here illegally, anyone related to anyone here illegally, anyone married to anyone here illegally, and anyone related to anyone married to anyone here illegally - with no way to confirm any of it.

With DACA as Democrats present it, there is no border and with no border there is no need for a wall - and eventually no purpose for a US government. A country no longer needs a government if it is ceasing being a country. No border. No country.
Yes, because that is the entitlement of U.S. citizens. Any less, would establish a multi-tiered citizenry, which I (personally) find abhorrent.

The alternative would be to stop the DACA process at permanent residency, which might a debate worth having (I am con).

As to your comment above of "no way to confirm it", I'm at a loss here. My experience is the INS citizenship process is fairly rigorous, requiring a great deal of proper documentation, and personal interviews which are filled with tricky "catch point" questions. However, I have no familiarity with the refugee process, if that's what you're referring to.

Yeah, but sometimes you've got to accept the political realities of accomplishing the greater good. Legislating is the epitome of the art of compromise.

I am not going to support something beyond "wall". I would like to see a better detailed plan of the wall or barrier or whatever it is today, a full agreement from the border landowners to take the land, and more emphasis on internal immigration reform.

DACA for a wall is so February of last year. Things have changed since then

Now, I would only support money for a wall in exchange for protecting Dreamers and those who have temporary protected status, as well as for asylum seekers
Trump & Miller should have taken the earlier deal, back then. That train left the station when the Dems took the House. It's a different calculus, now.

It is truly stunning that the Democratic Party is willing to shut down the federal government against Americans on behalf of citizens of another country.

Back
Top Bottom