• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

D.U.I.ers to get special license plates

This has been happening in Minnesota for quite some time now:

2. Minnesota Study. For several years, a Minnesota law allowed judges to confiscate the license plates of third-time DUI offenders, but relatively few of them used this method for controlling the driving of these offenders (Ross, Simon, & Cleary, 1995). Consequently, in 1991, the law was changed to provide for administrative confiscation of the license plates at the time of arrest. Rodgers (1994) evaluated this law and found that it reduced recidivism over a 2-year period by 50% when comparing third-time DUI violators whose plates were confiscated with similarly eligible offenders who did not lose their plates.
The new license plates are identified by the letter code beginning with WX, WY or WZ usually (anteceded by a 4 digit number). (See page 37). The police (peace) officers are then allowed to do a "rolling check" to verify if the driver of the car's description matches the owner of the plates and if it doesn't, that gives the officer authority to stop the driver. (See page 44).

Considering the gravity of DUI and DWI, I don't see the problem with tightening the reins on the folks that can't seem to abide by these safety measures.

It looks like Ohio and Iowa have similar laws.

How about CMOL for child molester, or RAP for rapist, or DA for dumb a$$......oh I have a good one, how about SFP for stupid *****ing politician. Now that's a guy I would like to follow home, yank out of the car, and beat senseless with a baseball bat, after I rip his toe nails off with some rusty pliers of course.:roll:

shuamort said:
This has been happening in Minnesota for quite some time now:

The new license plates are identified by the letter code beginning with WX, WY or WZ usually (anteceded by a 4 digit number). (See page 37). The police (peace) officers are then allowed to do a "rolling check" to verify if the driver of the car's description matches the owner of the plates and if it doesn't, that gives the officer authority to stop the driver. (See page 44).

Considering the gravity of DUI and DWI, I don't see the problem with tightening the reins on the folks that can't seem to abide by these safety measures.

It looks like Ohio and Iowa have similar laws.

I think this is a fantastic idea. A high school kid was just killed by a drunk driver as he was sitting at a traffic light.

I find the whole DUI/DWI laws to be getting pretty close to overkill. Now dont get me wrong, I do not condone drinking and driving. But the laws in Alaska have gotten so bad that a guy I know came out of a bar...called a cab and waited in his car for the cab to arrive. The cop saw him get into his car...mind you he got into the passenger seat (because that heat vent worked best), reached over and started his car for the heat (it is Alaska for pete's sake). The cop drug him out of his car and gave him a DUI as the cab pulled up looking for him. Thats just ridiculous. Plus, compared to any other traffic offense the punishment is way over balanced. You can commit vehicular negligence and cause bodily harm just shy of permanent disfigurement and not get fined as heavily as a DUI that is just at the limit...a limit of .08 now in a lot of states. Thats one beer or one mixed drink or one glass of wine...just one. Now how many of you can say you have never driven after having a glass of wine with dinner?

jallman said:
I find the whole DUI/DWI laws to be getting pretty close to overkill. Now dont get me wrong, I do not condone drinking and driving. But the laws in Alaska have gotten so bad that a guy I know came out of a bar...called a cab and waited in his car for the cab to arrive. The cop saw him get into his car...mind you he got into the passenger seat (because that heat vent worked best), reached over and started his car for the heat (it is Alaska for pete's sake). The cop drug him out of his car and gave him a DUI as the cab pulled up looking for him. Thats just ridiculous. Plus, compared to any other traffic offense the punishment is way over balanced. You can commit vehicular negligence and cause bodily harm just shy of permanent disfigurement and not get fined as heavily as a DUI that is just at the limit...a limit of .08 now in a lot of states. Thats one beer or one mixed drink or one glass of wine...just one. Now how many of you can say you have never driven after having a glass of wine with dinner?

Good points jallman. I myself have 2 D.U.I.s, and all the people that are for this corrupt law, should try walking a mile in someone els's shoes. I don't want to get pulled over and searched just because I have some blemishes on my record. It violates your privacy safeguards. Not to mention, I hardly drink now. If this law is enacted all around the US, then Prsident Bush should get a special license plate on his Presidential limo, for he is a fellow drunkard!:lol:

What happens when the husband, wife, son or daughter of the drunk driver drives the car and gets attacked?

Back
Top Bottom