• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cyclic Issues.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There are, it seems, some 'issues'* which are never resolved but rise and fall in public awareness again and again. One presently out of vogue is the US national debt. [Yes, I know the Republicans are presently making much of the cost of President Joseph Biden's proposed infrastructure package, but it's that and not the debt itself that they're focused upon.]

A common comment is that we're placing a financial burden on our children and grandchildren. I'm sure you've heard it expressed more than once. Curiously, though, none of these people appear willing to man [Ed.: and woman] up and demand that we tax ourselves to free our children and grandchildren from paying the price of our excesses.

And so it goes.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

* I differentiate between issues and problems. We solve problems but complain about issues.

Spending is the ISSUE

Has been for 40 + years, and it is just getting worse

As the federal government grows, it's tentacles claw out more and more need for more and more money every year

And our debt service (high now) will become unmanageable as inflation and rates go up

And Janet Yellen doesnt have any tricks left in her bag to deploy

Spending is the ISSUE

Has been for 40 + years, and it is just getting worse

As the federal government grows, it's tentacles claw out more and more need for more and more money every year

And our debt service (high now) will become unmanageable as inflation and rates go up

And Janet Yellen doesnt have any tricks left in her bag to deploy
All Fiat currencies eventually fail or are devalued. Nixon doomed us to this fate when he abandoned the Gold standard. The more Fiat we print. The more prices will rise. We have been very fortunate, as the dollar is the default global currency. But once dollar hegemony ends..... We're gunna suffer devaluation or hyperinflation.

Gross public debt as a percentage of GDP:
Australia - 47%
Canada - 90%
European Union - 87%
France - 99%
Germany - 64%
Japan - 224%
South Korea - 43%
Singapore - 115%
Spain - 97%
Sweden - 39%
United Kingdom - 87%
United States - 82%

I guess I'd be worried if I were Japan. Elsewhere? Not saying it's a good thing, but I'd certainly expect the right wing to engage in hyped-up fear-mongering and austerity preaching (never higher taxes of course, as the OP notes) over essentially a non-issue.

All Fiat currencies eventually fail or are devalued. Nixon doomed us to this fate when he abandoned the Gold standard. The more Fiat we print. The more prices will rise. We have been very fortunate, as the dollar is the default global currency. But once dollar hegemony ends..... We're gunna suffer devaluation or hyperinflation.

Hi!

Here's a list of all the countries that are on the gold standard at present:

Hi!

Here's a list of all the countries that are on the gold standard at present:

And each and every one of them has suffered, or will suffer devaluation or hyperinflation eventually.

Curiously, though, none of these people appear willing to man [Ed.: and woman] up and demand that we tax ourselves to free our children and grandchildren from paying the price of our excesses.

Since Reagan, the rich have changed the system to redistribute more than $50 trillion to themselves in addition to the normal amount. Start there.

Back
Top Bottom