• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cutting the cable cord.

I assume Roku just makes it easier to access stuff, but that you still have to pay separate for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc.

What comes free with it, that I can't otherwise get streaming?

I assume Roku just makes it easier to access stuff, but that you still have to pay separate for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc.

Correct. It's just a device that allows streaming. There are apps available that you can load to stream a bunch of stuff on top of the biggies (Netflix, etc.).

We went with the Roku Streaming Stick.

The new Roku's are great, 4K streaming, fast menus, nearly all of the channels are crap, but you only need Netflx and Amazon, and Pandora, Tunein and Iheart radio, and if you have cable, you can load all the apps for many channels and get a lot of content on demand. Also, Roku has its own channel that has a pretty good variety of movies, but there are commercials.

Last edited:

Your best bet is to find a friend with Amazon Prime, and get their login for Amazon streaming, and then pay for Netflix and gift them with your password, etc. I share Netflix with my GF and my sister, she gives me Amazon streaming, and we share HBO streaming (which is awesome because they have all of their series available)

The new Roku's are great, 4K streaming, fast menus, nearly all of the channels are crap, but you only need Netflx and Amazon, and Pandora, Tunein and Iheart radio, and if you have cable, you can load all the apps for many channels and get a lot of content on demand. Also, Roku has its own channel that has a pretty good variety of movies, but there are commercials.

I didn't get the Plus as I don't have a 4K tv and probably won't have one for awhile. We intend to cut the cord soon because **** COX.

I didn't get the Plus as I don't have a 4K tv and probably won't have one for awhile. We intend to cut the cord soon because **** COX.

I don't have 4K yet, but the cost was minimal and I will have a 4K eventually.

I hate cox, but Ihave to have their internet, as I work at home. Century Link is putting fiber in my neighborhood, but no word on when it will be for sale.

Correct. It's just a device that allows streaming. There are apps available that you can load to stream a bunch of stuff on top of the biggies (Netflix, etc.).

So what does it give me that my current smart TV's and computers don't?

So what does it give me that my current smart TV's and computers don't?

Nothing, but I don't have a smart TV and I needed a device to stream on my TV. The Roku Streaming Stick is just $39.

Back
Top Bottom