• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cutting government funding of religious schools

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Back in the 1960s, several people pushed for the secularization of schools saying that it violated the 1st ammendment even though funding religious schools and secular schools shows no bias towards religion since you're treating both equally. Back when the country was first founded, the forefathers had no problem with religious or secular schools. What makes giving both religious and secular schools funding favoring religion? Also, talking about creationism or intelligent design is seen as biased but evolution and the big bang aren't.

Back in the 1960s, several people pushed for the secularization of schools saying that it violated the 1st ammendment even though funding religious schools and secular schools shows no bias towards religion since you're treating both equally. Back when the country was first founded, the forefathers had no problem with religious or secular schools. What makes giving both religious and secular schools funding favoring religion? Also, talking about creationism or intelligent design is seen as biased but evolution and the big bang aren't.

The neutral state is a myth. Which is why treating truth and falsehood equally is unviable. Secularists must have falsehood enshrined above truth.

People who pay to send children to religious schools are also paying for public schools and neither the government nor the parents ever say "thank you." I've never even gotten a thank-you note from the IRS.

For me the question is, should the taxpayers be funding public schools that are failing year after year?

I just ran across the discussion of the Blaine Amendment. It was proposed for the U.S. Constitution but failed and was adopted in many states. It's an interesting read.

"The term Blaine Amendment refers to either a failed amendment to the U.S. Constitution or actual constitutional provisions in 38 of the 50 state constitutions in the United States that forbid direct government aid to educational institutions that have a religious affiliation. They were designed to prohibit aid to parochial schools, especially those operated by the Catholic Church in locations with large immigrant populations."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine_Amendment

On the other hand the left wingers have no problem with churches getting Federal funds for resettling immigrants, including illegal aliens, so as usual they are frauds and liars with no real principles and objections worth taking seriously. there is no reason at all for Federal and state governments to discriminate in funding against schools based on religion, in fact that would be a violation of the separation clause, at least as a point of law.

I'm an agnostic, and have no problem with many of the intelligent design theories or creationism being taught, as they aren't any more logically absurd than the 'Evolution is Science' hoax is, and in many cases make more sense logically than the current evolution faddists do. In fact both the Big Bang theory and the evolution stuff steals their basic logical premises from the Old Testament anyway, which is hilarious as hell.

I posted this awhile back when I was still a christian and before I began questioning my faith. In the end, I became an agnostic.

On the other hand the left wingers have no problem with churches getting Federal funds for resettling immigrants, including illegal aliens, so as usual they are frauds and liars with no real principles and objections worth taking seriously. there is no reason at all for Federal and state governments to discriminate in funding against schools based on religion, in fact that would be a violation of the separation clause, at least as a point of law.

Religious and secular schools are not equals . There is no societal benefit from teaching children that the universe is magical. That some parents insist on paying to corrupt the intellects of children is god telling them they have too much money.

The 1st Amendment was actually intended to intentionally fund and favor religious and spiritual ideology and actively discriminate against if not outright prohibit secular and atheistic ideology; the only stipulation is that it could not favor a specific religion or sect (e.x. Catholics, Buddhist, etc) over another.

But ideally it could and should actively favor and fund ideologies centered on spirituality and moral objectivism over those centered on secular materialism and moral relativism, which have no place being in public schools at all; there's no need to treat them "equally" when the former is clearly morally and logically superior than the latter.

Atheistic and secularist ideologies deserve no Constitutional rights or protection under the 1st Amendment, and if anything should be considered Constitutional sedition and outright banned in all publicly funded venues. Nothing more than the deviant ideology of rapists and murders, like the Marquis de Sade.

Religious and secular schools are not equals . There is no societal benefit from teaching children that the universe is magical. That some parents insist on paying to corrupt the intellects of children is god telling them they have too much money.

Atheists believe in magic? Christians most certainly do not. Christians do believe in the Supernatural. They understand that GOD designed, created and formulated nature.

Atheists believe in magic? Christians most certainly do not. Christians do believe in the Supernatural. They understand that GOD designed, created and formulated nature.

Dude, you should be embarrassed. Shameless ignorance is the hallmark of faith.

Back
Top Bottom