• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

cursed or not...

cherith

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
According to the Bible are Catholics cursed?

Who cares?
As human beings in general and as as Christians inparticular shouldn't everyone care?

If your fellowman is heading in the wrong direction would'nt you want proof so you could correct him in the error of his way?

Wouldn't caring be the...American way?

To care is to show compassion and concern. It's sort of like a weather man caring, so he/she warns others about a hurricane, tornado, etc... before it hits, when it makes landfall, and after it leaves. I guess you could also ask, "Should a weatherman care?"

...maybe you're right, should anyone care?

cherith said:
As human beings in general and as as Christians inparticular shouldn't everyone care?

If your fellowman is heading in the wrong direction would'nt you want proof so you could correct him in the error of his way?

Wouldn't caring be the...American way?

To care is to show compassion and concern. It's sort of like a weather man caring, so he/she warns others about a hurricane, tornado, etc... before it hits, when it makes landfall, and after it leaves. I guess you could also ask, "Should a weatherman care?"

...maybe you're right, should anyone care?

Personally....I really dont care, as I no longer feel compassion for the devoutly Christian. After years of blatant downlooking based on ancient texts of questionable validity, I try to avoid these people as much as possible. One could even say all who take the scriptures literally are in some ways cursed....with self induced ignorance of knowledge.

Personally....I really dont care, as I no longer feel compassion for the devoutly Christian. After years of blatant downlooking based on ancient texts of questionable validity, I try to avoid these people as much as possible. One could even say all who take the scriptures literally are in some ways cursed....with self induced ignorance of knowledge.
I see...so do you feel any compassion for Catholics?

cherith said:
I see...so do you feel any compassion for Catholics?

I was born and raised Catholic, and must say I have never been told I would burn in hell by a Catholic.

"Feeling compassion" for someone is often a cover story used by some evangelists to criticize them. They feel compassion for unwed mothers seeking abortions, or gays, or Jews, or Catholics.
Seems you have more to say on the subject of Catholics, so why don't you come right out and say what YOU think is in the Bible that Catholics should worry about regarding their potential salvation.
Then, we can discuss it better.

I was born and raised Catholic, and must say I have never been told I would burn in hell by a Catholic.
Would such a thing ever happen to a Catholic?

Were there Catholics left behind in the days of Noah that drowned?

Were there Catholics left in Soddom and Gomorrah when it burned?

"Feeling compassion" for someone is often a cover story used by some evangelists to criticize them. They feel compassion for unwed mothers seeking abortions, or gays, or Jews, or Catholics.
Seems you have more to say on the subject of Catholics, so why don't you come right out and say what YOU think is in the Bible that Catholics should worry about regarding their potential salvation.
I see you like to analyze and that's a good thing just try not to jump to conclusions. I don't know a lot about Catholics. I have never studdied Catholics, nor have I ever attended a Catholic church, nor have I ever studied a Catholic Bible. All I know is things I've heard. ...so let me ask you, and a few others some questions about things I am not sure about since you have an open mind, and seem so eager.

1. Do any Catholics call any of the men in their churches, "Father?" If so why?

2. Do any Catholics make confessions about their sins to anyone of the men in their churches? If so why?

cherith said:
2. Do any Catholics make confessions about their sins to anyone of the men in their churches? If so why?

Surely you already know the answers to those questions, unless you have never watched TV. As to why, I am not a catholic either, so I don't know why those traditions exist, or many of the other traditions in many other churches.
What does that have to do with the original question? Get to the point, please.

so why don't you come right out and say what YOU think is in the Bible that Catholics should worry about regarding their potential salvation.
Well similar to the Catholic religion, there was a time when it mirrored Christian customs. If it is true that Catholics go to a man to repent of their sins, there was a time when Christians did the same thing. God sat Moses up to be that man. He built a mobil temple with two rooms in it-the Holy room and the Most Holy room. The Christians repented of their sins to him (Moses) and once a year he offered up the blood of bulls and goats in order for their sins to be forgiven.
...this is a type of repentance for sins that is know as, and that was done when Christians were under "The Law" or in "Bondage" as the Bible referes to it both ways.

Because of the fact that the blood of bulls and goats could not take away sins to where they were remitted and remembered no more, but could only give forgiveness for sins; God sent his Son/Jesus.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Once a man shed blood for our sins (as opposed to a bull and a goat's blood) Moses' veil on his portable temple was ripped away, and we at that time were no longer under the law, but we are now under grace. We longer have to go through the veil of a portable temple, but we can go directly to Jesus in faith and talk to him ourselves. We do not need an arbitrator to repent to, in hopes that the arbitrator will go to the Lord on our behalf.

Jesus said that if we go back to the law of repenting to another man, that we are cursed if we hang ourselves back on the tree that he has already hung on for us. He also warned us that if we keep ourselves under the law rather than grace, that we would have to keep all of the over 400 laws and continue in them all.
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

It's not about a Catholic being better than a Christian nor the other way around. I asking the question "Are Catholics cursed?" according to the words of God in the Bible since they are required to remain under the law based on the rituals of their religion.

1. It could be that Catholics don't repent to a man any more-I don't know.
2. It could be that Catholics are not required by God to obey anything in the Holy Bible-I don't know.
3. It could be that the law v/s grace is no where in the Catholic Bible-I don't know.

One last thing I don't understand is that as a Christian, our Holy Bible forbids us to call any other man on earth, "Father" However, it seems that many Catholics must do that based on the respect of their religion. Our Bible says:

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Like I said before, a Christian is no better than a Catholic, nor is a Catholic any better than a Christian. However, what is better than both is obedience to God, and doing what God/Jesus has said to do above what man tries to tell one to do. I have more to say, but I will await a response.

Last edited:
cherith said:
Well similar to the Catholic religion, there was a time when it mirrored Christian customs. If it is true that Catholics go to a man to repent of their sins, there was a time when Christians did the same thing. God sat Moses up to be that man. He built a mobil temple with two rooms in it-the Holy room and the Most Holy room. The Christians repented of their sins to him (Moses) and once a year he offered up the blood of bulls and goats in order for their sins to be forgiven.
...this is a type of repentance for sins that is know as, and that was done when Christians were under "The Law" or in "Bondage" as the Bible referes to it both ways.

Because of the fact that the blood of bulls and goats could not take away sins to where they were remitted and remembered no more, but could only give forgiveness for sins; God sent his Son/Jesus.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Once a man shed blood for our sins (as opposed to a bull and a goat's blood) Moses' veil on his portable temple was ripped away, and we at that time were no longer under the law, but we are now under grace. We longer have to go through the veil of a portable temple, but we can go directly to Jesus in faith and talk to him ourselves. We do not need an arbitrator to repent to, in hopes that the arbitrator will go to the Lord on our behalf.

Jesus said that if we go back to the law of repenting to another man, that we are cursed if we hang ourselves back on the tree that he has already hung on for us. He also warned us that if we keep ourselves under the law rather than grace, that we would have to keep all of the over 400 laws and continue in them all.
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

It's not about a Catholic being better than a Christian nor the other way around. I asking the question "Are Catholics cursed?" according to the words of God in the Bible since they are required to remain under the law based on the rituals of their religion.

1. It could be that Catholics don't repent to a man any more-I don't know.
2. It could be that Catholics are not required by God to obey anything in the Holy Bible-I don't know.
3. It could be that the law v/s grace is no where in the Catholic Bible-I don't know.

One last thing I don't understand is that as a Christian, our Holy Bible forbids us to call any other man on earth, "Father" However, it seems that many Catholics must do that based on the respect of their religion. Our Bible says:

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Like I said before, a Christian is no better than a Catholic, nor is a Catholic any better than a Christian. However, what is better than both is obedience to God, and doing what God/Jesus has said to do above what man tries to tell one to do. I have more to say, but I will await a response.

OK, now I know where you are coming from. Jesus also said "No man comes unto the father but by me", so it does seem that the Catholic church has come up with a lot of traditions that are not referenced in the Bible. For a very long time, many of the Popes have given the Catholic church a bad reputation, and they admit it. To their credit, Catholic High School history books do not shy away from their mistakes.

Your points are well made, BUT, I suggest you worry more about living your own beliefs than attacking the beliefs of others. There are many scriptures in the Bible that can be interpreted in such a way to support or attack almost any belief held by Christians. That is why there are so many different Christian religions, and so much confusion within each one.

Concerning GRACE, some think that it is the "end all and be all" of the plan of salvation, and that works are of no importance. Bear in mind that when we get to the judgment bar, we will not be judged on what be believed, but what we did for, or to, our fellow man. The words of Christ are very straightforward in that respect, when he replaced the law of Moses with the 2 new commandments, saying that all the commandments (not the man made rules) hang on his two new ones. He also told us to "feed my lambs", or take care of my flock. So we are expected to take care of each other, be kind to each other, etc.

I prefer the teachings in a certain order of importance, first the words of Christ as found in the 4 gospels, then the words of original apostles, and lastly Paul. Some Christians I have debated with are very knowledgeable in the words of Paul, but not the words of Christ, which are the foundation, or the basics of Christianity. And if you can't do the basics, the rest is very likely to be a waste of time.

Your points are well made, BUT, I suggest you worry more about living your own beliefs than attacking the beliefs of others.
Your acusation forced me to go back and read what I stated, and I was unable to point out where I attacked anyone. Could you please cut and paste that part? I was under the impression that out of pure ignorance of the Catholic faith that I merely asked questions, and provided scripture. I try to stear clear of attacking. Most people already know of their faults. If you could point out my exact attack of someone, I'd appreciate it.
Concerning GRACE, some think that it is the "end all and be all" of the plan of salvation, and that works are of no importance. Bear in mind that when we get to the judgment bar, we will not be judged on what be believed, but what we did for, or to, our fellow man.
Well, grace gives us the opportunity to partake of the gift of eternal salvation. Moving into the stages of from faith to faith.
Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

We could also view faith as being the parent who has a whole lot of children with different names. If man (meaning male and female) accepts and wants to have anything to do with the parent, they must also accept and take in her children. The parent (faith) has an eldest child known as works; and the rest of them are peace, love, charity, communion, feet washing, self control, etc... I could have used the example of a car with faith being the car, and works being the motor with the other parts under the hood being love, patience, self control, communion, spreading the gospel, etc... A friend of mine just stated that the holy spirit would be the insurance. :lol:

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. In that instance you're right. I think the faith without works verse summed it up pretty good.
I prefer the teachings in a certain order of importance, first the words of Christ as found in the 4 gospels, then the words of original apostles, and lastly Paul. Some Christians I have debated with are very knowledgeable in the words of Paul, but not the words of Christ, which are the foundation, or the basics of Christianity. And if you can't do the basics, the rest is very likely to be a waste of time.
That's interesting, but don't leave out the teachings from the major and minor prophets. Many of them were shown signs, dreams, revelations, and taken into heaven and shown of things to come. The apostles are great as well. Paul was a chosen vessel. Jesus is the light, and he said that he would send a "light to lighten" and that light to lighten that he sent was Paul. I like Paul. He was bold as a heathen and bold as a saint. He is also on of those who was taken into the third heaven.

You stated that some Christians are not as knowledgable in the words of Christ as they are in the words of Paul. Well, that is not a complete disaster. Paul came through speaking and preaching on behalf of Jesus. He was a mouth piece for Jesus to speak through. Remember how Paul persecuted the Christians and locked them up. He was an enemy of Jesus. Jesus merely made his enemy his footstool just...in a good way.

God said, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, "Hear ye Him" That means that we are to hear not only Jesus, but those who speak on behalf of Jesus for righteousness sake just as Paul, Peter, Thomas, etc... all did.
Acts 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

Last edited:
cherith said:

1. Yes, not sure.
2. Yes, because they see the priest as being directly connect to God and see him as an intercesser between them and God, so they go to confession, so the Priest can ask God to forgive tthem of their sins.

I personally dissagree with this practice, because as one who posted previously said before, We are no longer required to uphold the law of the old covanant, because Jesus is God's new covanant. Some may argue that the NT is condradicting the OT because God never goes back on his word, which is very true, but read this:
28Many of the Jews are now enemies of the Good News. But this has been to your benefit, for God has given his gifts to you Gentiles. Yet the Jews are still his chosen people because of his promises to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 29For God's gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. 30Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the Jews refused his mercy, God was merciful to you instead. 31And now, in the same way, the Jews are the rebels, and God's mercy has come to you. But someday they,too, will share in God's mercy.
Romans 11:28-31
Funny, i actually came across this during my quiet time with God last night:smile:

More specifically to the thread topic. I wouldnt say the Catholics are cursed...I would say they are more so misguided. I myself am a non-denominational Christian, and I only follow the bible and not some doctrine or Pope.
A few of the issues I have with is their Divinity they put on Mary, whom is a important person, and I am not saying she isnt, but not even Jesus put her up there as divine. I definatly don't believe in praying to her either, nowhere in the bible does it say that Mary is an innterceeser for Christ.
I also have a issue with the praying to Saints. Yes those people did heroic and gave amazing sacrifice of their lives for the sake of the Gospel...but where in the bible does it say to pray to them so they can pray for us? Or Pray so that their souls can get out of Purgatory?It doesn't.
In fact is says: 'The living at least know that they will die, the dead know nothing...They no longer have apart of anything on earth'-Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
This says...they can't don anything for you, they are dead.

'There is hope only for the living'-Ecclesiastes 9:4
You can't do anything for them now, their life is done. Their time to live for God is done, you can't pray for them to have an easier punishment.
Also, there is no reference to any kind of Purgatory or 'Limbo' in the bible. There is only heaven or Hell...no inbetween...who knows where they got that from?
Now as for the Pope, good guy and all, did good things...but who is to say everything he says is right? The only authority God gave that too is son Jesus. Every human is a sinner, and we are ALL falliable.
Yes they claim that their authority is traced back to the apostle Peter...but it is not a fact.
These are only a few that I list, but Catholics, in my eyes, are not cursed. Just mislead.

cherith said:
I see you like to analyze and that's a good thing just try not to jump to conclusions. I don't know a lot about Catholics. I have never studdied Catholics, nor have I ever attended a Catholic church, nor have I ever studied a Catholic Bible. All I know is things I've heard. ...so let me ask you, and a few others some questions about things I am not sure about since you have an open mind, and seem so eager.

I am pretty sure that some Catholics would take offense at the idea of being cursed because of using the term father in the way that they do.
Like I said, if you don't already know the answer to the questions, you must never watch TV. Surely everyone in the USA knows that they do use the term father, and make confessions to men. Then you trot out the scriptures that say we should not do that. That is a challenge to their beliefs.
The Catholic Bible is the same as ours, plus a few extra books. So if you have studied your Bible, you have studied almost all of theirs.
Sorry, but it just seems to me that you are stirring up an issue just to challenge it.

Also, if you want to know about Catholic interpretation, ask a Catholic Priest. You don't go to a Ford dealership and expect him to extol the virtues of a Chevy. You can bet that the Ford dealer will tell you all the good about his product, and avoid discussing the aspects where the Chevy might be better.

I am pretty sure that some Catholics would take offense at the idea of being cursed because of using the term father in the way that they do.
I'm pretty sure that such a thing would make a Catholic take offense, however that is not the intention. Taking offense would mean being upset with God's Word, and that is not wise. Just because the Christians Holy Bible says that one is cursed if they do such things does not mean that a Catholic will stop doing them. We're merely discussing it. As a Christian, we must believe God and the Word of God-the Holy Bible. It may say that one is cursed, but cursed does not necessarily mean loss of salvation.

Like I said, if you don't already know the answer to the questions, you must never watch TV. Surely everyone in the USA knows that they do use the term father, and make confessions to men. Then you trot out the scriptures that say we should not do that. That is a challenge to their beliefs.
The Catholic Bible is the same as ours, plus a few extra books. So if you have studied your Bible, you have studied almost all of theirs.
Sorry, but it just seems to me that you are stirring up an issue just to challenge it.
No Ma'am/Sir, no one is stirring up anything just merely discussing. I do not have the power to give anyone eternal salvation-I'm only discussing to gain a better understanding. As far as TV goes one can not always believe what they see and hear on TV. The television portrays Catholic females as being sluts who can cook good, but also have extra men on the side. Should I believe that? T.V. is not always the best way of getting to know something. One of the better ways is by simply asking.

I get the feeling that the spirit in you wants a challenge, a debate, etc... Sorry, that is not what this is about.

Last edited:
cherith said:
I'm pretty sure that such a thing would make a Catholic take offense, however that is not the intention. Taking offense would mean being upset with God's Word, and that is not wise.
No Ma'am/Sir, no one is stirring up anything just merely discussing. As far as TV goes one can not always believe what they say and hear on TV. The television portrays Catholic females as being sluts who can cook good, but also have extra men on the side.
I get the feeling that the spirit in you wants a challenge, a debate, etc... Sorry, that is not what this is about.

If you are sure that a Catholic will take offense, why are you asking? Taking offense with God's word? or some protestants picking and choosing his scriptures selectively? Sluts who can cook? I watch a lot of TV, have for a long time (I am almost 60) and I don't get that from TV, but like I said, ANYONE who has watched even a little TV already knows the answers to the questions. And, like I said, if you want an explanation from the Catholic point of view, it is best to ask a priest.

I don't need a challenge, and if I did, I would select someone with a less obvious agenda. I was raised a Baptist in East Texas. I know when a Baptist is throwing out bait and looking to hook a Catholic fish to play.:2wave:

Alright, so now lets hear from a catholic. I do take great offense at the idea that catholics are cursed...and you are basing this on a totally erroneous premise. The use of the word Father is not an appellation comparing the priest to God in any way. There are Brothers, Sisters, Mothers, and Fathers and the titles only refer to the family position within the church. We in no way look at the priest as being an extension of God, though we do respect our priests deeply because these are men who have sacrificed their lives in the pursuit of spiritual connection with God.

On the second point...confession of sins to other members of the Church is actually a very biblical and New Testament order:

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16

We look to our priests to confess our sins because these men are seen as being the most spiritually strengthened and least likely to be weakened by contact with the sins of others. These learned men also give counsel and guidance on repentance and pray as righteous men for our intercession. There is nothing in our catechism that states a priest is the only way to recieve forgiveness, but it is an institution to confess to the priests as their job is to minister to the flock.

Perhaps it would be better for you to learn the tenets of a religion before making these unruly assumptions and naming a large portion of the world's population "cursed". Any catholic worth his salt would be willing to explain these basic principles to you...seek one out and ask.

jallman said:
Perhaps it would be better for you to learn the tenets of a religion before making these unruly assumptions and naming a large portion of the world's population "cursed". Any catholic worth his salt would be willing to explain these basic principles to you...seek one out and ask.

Well played, sir. I was going to go get a Catholic neighbor but you took care of it with aplomb, whatever aplomb is. ;)

UtahBill said:
Well played, sir. I was going to go get a Catholic neighbor but you took care of it with aplomb, whatever aplomb is. ;)

Thank you, sir. Anytime, just send me a message. It was my intention for a long time to pursue the priesthood. However, other circumstances made me rethink that choice and instead I studied the doctrine of the Church rather intensively from a secular angle.

Alright, so now lets hear from a catholic. I do take great offense at the idea that catholics are cursed...and you are basing this on a totally erroneous premise. The use of the word Father is not an appellation comparing the priest to God in any way. There are Brothers, Sisters, Mothers, and Fathers and the titles only refer to the family position within the church. We in no way look at the priest as being an extension of God, though we do respect our priests deeply because these are men who have sacrificed their lives in the pursuit of spiritual connection with God.
Thank you... very much for your honest explanation. If you feel that you're being attacked as far as your religion goes, that was not the intention. I asked a simple question about something I was not sure about. Now if you went to another country and a foreigner asked you the same question, "Are Catholics cursed?" you would not feel that anyone was attacking you. Why do you feel attacked if an American asks you a question about your religion? I am a Christian, and there is no question I would not mind answering from anyone about Christianity, and I would not feel attacked. If one has faith in what they believe in how can they feel attacked if asked about it?
On the second point...confession of sins to other members of the Church is actually a very biblical and New Testament order:

Quote:
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16

We look to our priests to confess our sins because these men are seen as being the most spiritually strengthened and least likely to be weakened by contact with the sins of others. These learned men also give counsel and guidance on repentance and pray as righteous men for our intercession. There is nothing in our catechism that states a priest is the only way to recieve forgiveness, but it is an institution to confess to the priests as their job is to minister to the flock.
That's a very good verse you added. However, the difference is confession and forgiveness. Based on that verse, we as Christians may:

1. Confess a sin to the entire congregation of the church
2. Or to another person; however,
3. We nor the church will ever attempt to offer forgiveness for the confessed sin. Also,
4. We immediately tell the person who has confessed a sin to repent to God in Jesus' name in order for them to remember where their complete forgiveness comes from.
Isn't it true that Catholics on the other hand confess their sins to the priest and receive forgiveness of the exact same sin(s) from the priest? Maybe you're. Maybe it's nothing wrong with it as long as the priest tells that person, "Now go and repent to God." As long as the priest does not do that-he is acthing as God or in place of God.
Once again I appreciate you taking out the time to explain all of this to me. It was very helpful. I see you're comfortable with the accusations of me making "unruly assumptions despite that fact that questions were asked from the very beginning, but if you're comfortable your judgement against me may stand. God bless you.

cherith said:
"Now go and repent to God." As long as the priest does not do that-he is acthing as God or in place of God. Once again I appreciate you taking out the time to explain all of this to me. It was very helpful. I see you're comfortable with the accusations of me making "unruly assumptions despite that fact that questions were asked from the very beginning, but if you're comfortable your judgement against me may stand. God bless you.
In the NT, when Jesus forgave, he usually said "Go, and sin no more". That makes me believe that forgiveness requires true repentance, which for a particular sin means you don't do that sin anymore, and preferably not any sin, but we are only human and weak. Short version, if you go out and do it again, you have not truly repented, and just might not be forgiven of the first time you did it.

Sort of like being told go back to square one and start over, cause you keep getting it wrong, and you have to keep at it until you get it right!

Also, isn't there some difference between sin, and transgression? Someone told me that you can transgress the law in ignorance of the law, but to sin you must know the law beforehand.

cherith said:
Thank you... very much for your honest explanation. If you feel that you're being attacked as far as your religion goes, that was not the intention. I asked a simple question about something I was not sure about. Now if you went to another country and a foreigner asked you the same question, "Are Catholics cursed?" you would not feel that anyone was attacking you. Why do you feel attacked if an American asks you a question about your religion? I am a Christian, and there is no question I would not mind answering from anyone about Christianity, and I would not feel attacked. If one has faith in what they believe in how can they feel attacked if asked about it? That's a very good verse you added. However, the difference is confession and forgiveness. Based on that verse, we as Christians may:

1. Confess a sin to the entire congregation of the church
2. Or to another person; however,
3. We nor the church will ever attempt to offer forgiveness for the confessed sin. Also,
4. We immediately tell the person who has confessed a sin to repent to God in Jesus' name in order for them to remember where their complete forgiveness comes from.
Isn't it true that Catholics on the other hand confess their sins to the priest and receive forgiveness of the exact same sin(s) from the priest? Maybe you're. Maybe it's nothing wrong with it as long as the priest tells that person, "Now go and repent to God." As long as the priest does not do that-he is acthing as God or in place of God. Once again I appreciate you taking out the time to explain all of this to me. It was very helpful. I see you're comfortable with the accusations of me making "unruly assumptions despite that fact that questions were asked from the very beginning, but if you're comfortable your judgement against me may stand. God bless you.

There is no real judgement of you...and if someone other than an american had posed the same question and followed up with the same remarks, then I would feel the same sense of attack. Oh, and just to clarify, the priest does not confer forgiveness upon us, he merely acts as couselor and teaches us how to exercise our repentance piously.

Back
Top Bottom