• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Current TV Series You'd Like To Recommend

Star Trek: Discovery due back on Paramount+ Nov. 14.

I'm still going to wait until the new Picard streams in 2022 to sign up for Paramount+ again.

I'm still going to wait until the new Picard streams in 2022 to sign up for Paramount+ again.

From what I have seen, we are dealing
with pale imitations of Star Trek quality.

They need to hire a better class of script writers.

I happened to catch a Gene Roddenbery script on a
Have Gun Will Travel. Wow! Talk about quality script.
On the other hand, even Michelle Yeoh <drool>
can't overcome a bad script.

Moi

Canada-3.png
William Shatner

So many good shows it’s hard to choose. Here’s one that comes to mind.

Versailles

I believe I saw the first episode on CBS plus a few years ago ... I thought it sucked for numerous reasons. Horrible...just horrible.

I'm not much of a TV fan, but lately I've watched three shows with the wife that she likes a lot. Call it my new turned over leaf.

1. Succession: I like this show. I particularly enjoyed Adrian Brody's character: a quirky billionaire investor; in this week's episode. He clearly stole the show.

2. Motherland: BBC...hard to explain. I call it "the show about kids where no kid ever says a word." Now, that is my kind of show.

3. What We Do in the Shadows: A very stupid show on the surface that is perfect for non-thinking comedy relief. It's actually cleverly done, as the puns are numerous and fit well. Also BBC based, I believe.

I used to be a big Star Trek fan.... but then JJ Abrams got his hands on it.... and just like everything else JJ Abrams touches, it died for me. Star Trek, Star Wars, Mission Impossible... all dead. JJ Abrams has wreaked a trail of devastation throughout my childhood memories. Even when he doesn't have anything to do with the projects, they're still never the same after he has infected them.

From what I have seen, we are dealing
with pale imitations of Star Trek quality.

They need to hire a better class of script writers.

I happened to catch a Gene Roddenbery script on a
Have Gun Will Travel. Wow! Talk about quality script.
On the other hand, even Michelle Yeoh <drool>
can't overcome a bad script.

Moi

View attachment 67359677
William Shatner

RDM wrote the best Trek

I just finished the Queens Gambits. Excellent!

The main character is mesmerizing! I just wish I play Chess and knew what was going on.
I play chess and it's next to impossible to tell what's going happening on the chessboard — you're not missing anything in that regard. I noticed that the second time I watched it. The first time I just looked at Anya.

Narcos Mexico Season 3 (2021). Sadly its the final season of one of my favorite TV shows. It chronicles the drug war in Mexico all the way until the rise of El Chapo. I can see why they stopped it since the unrelenting violence was becoming repetitive. I will miss this show though. Rating: 8.5/10

Chapelwaite (2021) TV miniseries starring Adrien Brody. Its based on the Stephen King short story, which is a prequel to Salem's Lot. Not bad at all, but the pace is very, very slow. Similar to the first season of The Terror. Haven't finished it yet, but I think it's worth a watch if youre the patient kind. Rating: 7/10

Foundation S1 (2021). Just started it. I think it's okay so far, but I havent read the book yet, so I dont know if its faithful to it or anything. Gorgeous visuals too.

Narcos Mexico Season 3 (2021). Sadly its the final season of one of my favorite TV shows. It chronicles the drug war in Mexico all the way until the rise of El Chapo. I can see why they stopped it since the unrelenting violence was becoming repetitive. I will miss this show though. Rating: 8.5/10

Chapelwaite (2021) TV miniseries starring Adrien Brody. Its based on the Stephen King short story, which is a prequel to Salem's Lot. Not bad at all, but the pace is very, very slow. Similar to the first season of The Terror. Haven't finished it yet, but I think it's worth a watch if youre the patient kind. Rating: 7/10

Foundation S1 (2021). Just started it. I think it's okay so far, but I havent read the book yet, so I dont know if its faithful to it or anything. Gorgeous visuals too.

I agree with you about Narcos. It’s one of my favorite series of all time.

Reactions: PoS
I follow diffeerent anime series. , each anime is infused with information about Japanese culture; from commonly used phrases and colloquialisms, popular traditions, holidays and myths and folk law- there’s a little something from a magnificent culture blended into each story. I am fond of japanese culture too. Used to watch fresh ongoings on gogoanime

I didn't even finish Season 1 of Discovery. I usually watch anything Star Trek, even if it is bad, but I couldn't get into it. What they did to the Klingons, just awful. Its supposed to be a PREQUEL to TOS with all that more advanced tech?

Just couldn't. What I've seen (clips, trailers) of the seasons since hasn't convinced me to give it another try.

I didn't even finish Season 1 of Discovery. I usually watch anything Star Trek, even if it is bad, but I couldn't get into it. What they did to the Klingons, just awful. Its supposed to be a PREQUEL to TOS with all that more advanced tech?

Just couldn't. What I've seen (clips, trailers) of the seasons since hasn't convinced me to give it another try.
ST has changed the Klingons so many times over the decades...they changed for almost every series and then are even different in the movies. 🤷 I just roll with it. I like the version in Next Gen because they went into so many of their rituals.

I've found the 3 seasons of Discovery pretty strange sometimes but hey...I'm open to sci fi stuff and like most of it. I didnt get into the red menace/time travel stuff but it was season 3 so you wouldnt have seen it.

I will be checking out season 4.

Lately....

Wheel of Time
Live action Cowboy Bepop (entertaining but flawed)
Arcane (animated but really good)

Slightly older
For all Mankind
Invincible
The Boys

Coming soon...
new season of The Expanse!!

La Brea sounded interesting but it sucked.
Foundation was ... okay. Could have been better.
Invasion.... kinda sucked.

Lately....

Wheel of Time
Live action Cowboy Bepop (entertaining but flawed)
Arcane (animated but really good)

Slightly older
For all Mankind
Invincible
The Boys

Coming soon...
new season of The Expanse!!

La Brea sounded interesting but it sucked.
Foundation was ... okay. Could have been better.
Invasion.... kinda sucked.
New Expanse? I'm in the middle of the last/current season now...I kept putting it off.

It would be great to jump from one right into the new one!

Where did you find For All Mankind? I only saw it on Apple and that's one service I dont subscribe to.

New Expanse? I'm in the middle of the last/current season now...I kept putting it off.

It would be great to jump from one right into the new one!

Where did you find For All Mankind? I only saw it on Apple and that's one service I dont subscribe to.

Actually I subscribed to Apple just to watch that, and intended to drop Apple afterward. FAM is good.

Unfortunately they sucked me in with Foundation and Invasion, neither of which were all that great.

Normally I try to ignore book/show differences, but Foundation is very very different from the books in some ways that are hard to ignore.
Invasion... well its really a set of personal melodramas with just a pinch of aliens, mostly fluff.

Watching Dope Sick at the moment. Really good.

Finished the first episodes of:

Altered Carbon: Very similar to Blade Runner in style, but I guess that was intentional. Not a fan of the lead actor, but the plot is somewhat engaging so far so I'll keep watching.

Babylon Berlin- German TV show (the Germans are catching up with good quality stuff on TV these days) about Berlin in the last years of the Wiemar Republic. I was a big fan of the first 3 seasons of Boardwalk Empire so it's pretty interesting. 2 Seasons are already out so this should keep me going until Man in the High Castle Season 3 comes out.

Hanna - absolutely. Season 3 is just out.

Its pure spongecake but Girls5eva on Peacock is a lot of laughs..... "I get paid...by the goose".

Watching Dope Sick at the moment. Really good.
Just started watching it now. Anything with Micheal Keaton in it is always worth it.

Actually I subscribed to Apple just to watch that, and intended to drop Apple afterward. FAM is good.

Unfortunately they sucked me in with Foundation and Invasion, neither of which were all that great.

Normally I try to ignore book/show differences, but Foundation is very very different from the books in some ways that are hard to ignore.
Invasion... well its really a set of personal melodramas with just a pinch of aliens, mostly fluff.

I thought For All Mankind had a good premise, but it was pretty shoddily made. Too much soap opera, and the science was bad.

Foundation I have mixed feelings about it. Most of it was a generic soap opera, which I didnt care much for. The parts with the Emperor Cleon however was intriguing, and Lee Pace is a very good actor, so that made it worthwhile. I just skipped the rest of the other parts.

I've also started watching Squid Game and about halfway done. So far so good. It's in Korean and the premise is intriguing.

Have you tried Yellowstone?

The opening scene was horrific and to be honest, I hate almost every character. They're all awful. It is a lot of politics tho. Very disappointing.

The nastiness of EVERYONE on this show is appalling.
Unrelenting brutality and no sense of humor.
It's fairly popular, though, so what do I know.
I maybe could have compared it to the "Sopranos"........ in a "family business" sort of way.
But even the mafia guys had a sense of humor and I know they had way better food.
I'm hoping all the main Yellowstone characters will kill each other at a family gathering.

3. What We Do in the Shadows: A very stupid show on the surface that is perfect for non-thinking comedy relief. It's actually cleverly done, as the puns are numerous and fit well. Also BBC based, I believe.
I thought it was pretty funny early on, but I haven't watched it for awhile and don't miss it.
So I guess I don't love it........when is "Better Call Saul" coming back anyway?

........when is "Better Call Saul" coming back anyway?
Early next year, I think.

OK, I finished Squid Game. I figured out who the head man was before the big reveal but I missed out on the big Kahuna. All in all, not bad. Final rating: 7.5/10

And no sooner did I finish it when another Korean TV show popped up on my Netflix queue: Hellbound (2021). Its like a live action manga. This time select individuals are visited upon by a spirit, and are foretold that they will die and be sent to hell at a specified time. When the time comes they are assaulted and seemingly burned alive by ghostly demons that resemble a cross between the Hulk and a genie. Meanwhile a mysterious cult sort might have something to do with it. Rating 8/10

Hawkeye (2021). I think this has my vote as the best Marvel superhero TV show so far. Its more down to earth, and although some of the humor falls flat. Hawkeye and Kate Bishop are very engaging characters and have good chemistry together. Plus a few nice surprises popped up too. Enjoyable. Rating: 8.5/10

Gomorra Season 5 (2021). I thought the series ended after the 4th season so Im very glad they came out with a final season. If you wanna know what its about- its an Italian mob show in Naples. A huge hit in Italy, more people watched it than GoT. The whole thing is really well made, but my problem is its bleak nihilistic themes. 99% of the characters die each season, and only one has survived throughout so far. Nevertheless, if you like gangster shows, this is one of the best. Rating: 8.5/10

Vigil (2021) British miniseries about a murder committed onboard a Royal Navy ballistic missile sub. Its sort of a cross between Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, and Agatha Christie. Ive never served but it looked like the sets for the sub were too big to be realistic, but its well paced and crackles along quite well. Rating: 6/10

Mayor of Kingstown (2021) Jeremy Renner stars as a sort of fixer in a prison town where drug dealers and corrupt cops rule. I was interested in watching this because its written by Taylor Sheridan, who wrote Sicario. It's predictably gritty and all that, but the characters arent very sympathetic, so Im wavering on whether to finish binge watching the first season or not. Rating: 5.5/10

Final episode of season 1 of Yellowjackets is tonight. Started off with interesting possibilities but last episode was overthetop silly. Definitely has AHS vibe with an opening of each episode sequence just like AHS.

Could've been very good series with better writing and less weirdness.

Back
Top Bottom