• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cuomo Panicking Over The New York Exodus, Demands Return To Work As Delta Cases Rise

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
He and the left are real pieces of work. Just as Delta cases are rising in New York, he wants businesses to force people back to the office instead of zooming from home, out of state. Seems like just a year ago he was hero to the Fatherland as he poo-pooed virus cases, condemned people to die in nursing homes, and got several feels in with women, not to mention rising crime due to leftist policies of wanting to and actually defunding the police. This man is going down in history.

Cuomo wrong about economic impact

Cuomo is wrong in his assessment, as stated in your link, that “We need that volume [of workers coming back to their offices rather than working remotely] to support the restaurants, the shops, the services.”

This re-introduction of workers into the physical office space, which would primarily occur in the central business district of NYC which is the borough of Manhattan, would simply shift resources (peoples’ spending) into the central district rather than having the resources (peoples’ spending) remain in the outer boroughs.

So people going back to their offices would not increase spending much. Returning to the office would mean that people would have to spend money on mass transit which they don’t do as much now that they are working remotely, and, they would have to spend more on inflated food prices for lunch which is the case in Manhattan.

But people still spend their disposable income; it is just being spread out more now rather than spending a larger chunk of it in Manhattan.

Manhattan shall not be hurt by this slight decentralization. Office buildings can be converted to residential buildings (as many were following 9/11) and these buildings shall become occupied quickly.

If remote-workers start leaving the state however this could negatively impact the state’s GDP. I don’t see an action of mandating remote workers to come back to the office as being a solution to this problem however. The remote option may cause some people to move into NY as well. If so, the influx/exodus ratio would be a wash.

just a heads up to people in this thread. the link in the OP doesn't mention "Exodus".
LOL. Coumo is yammering about the economic impact of 15% of the New York workforce who fled the coupe in order to work on zoom in their home states. Now, with the Delta variant surging, Coumo is telling employers to demand that these people come back to work in the office instead of zooming from their home states. What a Covid hero!

LOL. Coumo is yammering about the economic impact of 15% of the New York workforce who fled the coupe in order to work on zoom in their home states. Now, with the Delta variant surging, Coumo is telling employers to demand that these people come back to work in the office instead of zooming from their home states. What a Covid hero!
He didn't tell employers to demand anything.

Blatantly false.

Gosh, what is the market saying... (This is from July 2nd). Why would real estate be at a record high is people were leaving?

Manhattan real estate prices reached an all-time high in the second quarter, as buyers returned to the city and boosted demand for the largest, most expensive apartments, according to new reports.

The median resale price for Manhattan apartments hit $999,000 in the second quarter — the highest on record, according to a report from Douglas Elliman and Miller Samuel. Average sale prices rose 12% in the quarter, topping $1.9 million.

The price jumps and shrinking inventory suggest the Manhattan real estate rebound continues to gain momentum, as more families look to trade up to larger apartments and buyers look to take advantage of lower prices and low mortgage rates.

“It’s a sign of the frenzy and intensity of the market,” said Jonathan Miller, CEO of real estate appraisal firm Miller Samuel. “It’s rebounding much faster than most participants expected.”

Cuomo is wrong in his assessment, as stated in your link, that “We need that volume [of workers coming back to their offices rather than working remotely] to support the restaurants, the shops, the services.”

This re-introduction of workers into the physical office space, which would primarily occur in the central business district of NYC which is the borough of Manhattan, would simply shift resources (peoples’ spending) into the central district rather than having the resources (peoples’ spending) remain in the outer boroughs.

So people going back to their offices would not increase spending much. Returning to the office would mean that people would have to spend money on mass transit which they don’t do as much now that they are working remotely, and, they would have to spend more on inflated food prices for lunch which is the case in Manhattan.

But people still spend their disposable income; it is just being spread out more now rather than spending a larger chunk of it in Manhattan.

Manhattan shall not be hurt by this slight decentralization. Office buildings can be converted to residential buildings (as many were following 9/11) and these buildings shall become occupied quickly.

If remote-workers start leaving the state however this could negatively impact the state’s GDP. I don’t see an action of mandating remote workers to come back to the office as being a solution to this problem however. The remote option may cause some people to move into NY as well. If so, the influx/exodus ratio would be a wash.
Let's not forget that from a guy who murdered a bunch of people in nursing homes is now, at a time of the surging Delta variant, wanting employers to demand their workers come back into the office instead of zooming - for the good of "Manhattan".

Gosh, what is the market saying... (This is from July 2nd). Why would real estate be at a record high is people were leaving?

Manhattan real estate prices reached an all-time high in the second quarter, as buyers returned to the city and boosted demand for the largest, most expensive apartments, according to new reports.

The median resale price for Manhattan apartments hit $999,000 in the second quarter — the highest on record, according to a report from Douglas Elliman and Miller Samuel. Average sale prices rose 12% in the quarter, topping $1.9 million.

The price jumps and shrinking inventory suggest the Manhattan real estate rebound continues to gain momentum, as more families look to trade up to larger apartments and buyers look to take advantage of lower prices and low mortgage rates.

“It’s a sign of the frenzy and intensity of the market,” said Jonathan Miller, CEO of real estate appraisal firm Miller Samuel. “It’s rebounding much faster than most participants expected.”

What is Coumo saying?

I hope Cuomo gets primaried hard.

well, your link did use the word "Exodus" and many companies are finding that having their workforce do their thing from home is more cost effective.

that's not a NY thing. that's a business thing.

Doesn't mention panicking either.
sometimes i wonder if we argue with a bunch of people that were Soap Opera addicts from the 1970s.

Let's not forget that from a guy who murdered a bunch of people in nursing homes is now, at a time of the surging Delta variant, wanting employers to demand their workers come back into the office instead of zooming - for the good of "Manhattan".

MANHATTAN

You shouldn’t twist other people’s words.
Media does this and we despise them for doing it.

I stated the viewpoint that Cuomo thinks that a boom in Manhattan is needed for NY
to recover.

NURSING HOMES

I don’t know that Cuomo can be blamed for nursing home deaths. Much was unknown
in the early days of Covid.

Trump insisted that we use Hydroxychloroquine to fight Covid-19 only to be told shortly
thereafter that Hydroxychloroquine had no impact upon Covid and furthermore that the
use of Hydroxychloroquine was actually dangerous for some categories of people.

DELTA

I would agree that with Delta making its presence Cuomo and all leaders (left & right)
throughout the US should not be eager to bring populations into more close contact
including sporting events.

I sure hope you have the same criticisms for governors who are allowing Nascar, rodeos,
country music festivals etc. to host events with large crowds in close-contact environments.

IMO, the most important facet of the OP is the reminder that, post-pandemic, it’s going to far easier for people to vote with their feet. Whether they realize it or not, the (excessively) high tax states are in trouble.

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo fears a New York City revival will stall unless private sector employers require workers return to the office, and NYC actively addresses gun violence, homelessness and high taxes."

wow.

2 things:

1. WHAT have we been saying for the past year and a half about stupid leftists policies?
2. We see here the leftist surge to authoritarianism when things don't go their way.. "ok businesses, screw the plebes, lets FORCE them to work here in NY so your favorite City gets more tax money!!"

What Cuomo is bitching about is the fact that buildings are now virtually vacant because businesses learned they could function as efficiently via telework as they could from the physical office they were paying huge prices for Some vacancies are as high as 91%. Offices are empty, taxi's are impacted, subway revenue is impacted, hotels are impacted by meetings being held virtually...and they are running out of people and things to tax.

You’re at least partially wrong about where the money would be spent if people continued to work remotely.

About 125,000 people commute daily (2019 figures) to NYC from Long Island and about another 50,000 from Westchester, Ct, NJ etc. If those people stay home the money is taken completely out of the NYC economy.

I commuted to NYC from LI for over 25 years. I then spent the last 3 years working from home pretty much full time.

My commute was 90 minutes each way often on commuter trains and subways that were packed, noisy, with barely functional environmental systems and often late.

You could not pay me enough to work in the city again and I know lots of people who feel the same. And given rents and the resiliency that comes from a distributed workforce I’m guessing lots of employers will not be eager to send most of their people back into the city either.

Frankly Cuomo and the city can go scratch. My life got immensely better when I stopped commuting.

You’re at least partially wrong about where the money would be spent if people continued to work remotely.

About 125,000 people commute daily (2019 figures) to NYC from Long Island and about another 50,000 from Westchester, Ct, NJ etc. If those people stay home the money is taken completely out of the NYC economy.

I STAND CORRECTED

Although Long Island is part of NY State you still make a good point about
commuters from NJ and CT.

I don’t think that the revenue lost from commuters from other states would
be substantial but your observation is certainly accurate.

Cuomo has been panicking for years; specifically starting in March 2020 when he murdered thousands of nursing home residents and employees for political reasons.

I STAND CORRECTED

Although Long Island is part of NY State you still make a good point about
commuters from NJ and CT.

I don’t think that the revenue lost from commuters from other states would
be substantial but your observation is certainly accurate.
LI is part of the state but it is not part of NYC. LI residents money would stay on LI and not be spent in NYC restaurants which I thought was Cuomo’s issue.

LI is part of the state but it is not part of NYC. LI residents money would stay on LI and not be spent in NYC restaurants which I thought was Cuomo’s issue.

A GOVERNOR’S ISSUE

I’m going on the assumption that Governor Cuomo cares about
the state’s well-being.

If this is the case then he shouldn’t have a particular focus on the
well-being of Manhattan restaurants.

He should be concerned about the state’s GDP.

But in his lack of understanding of economics he believes that
restaurants in Manhattan must do well in order for NYC and,
in turn, NYS to do well.

And yes, indeed, politicians often do not have a good grasp of
economics; their strongpoint is usually law and civics

Back
Top Bottom