• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cummings puts Trump on notice for wave of investigations

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
As expected, accountability is coming back to government.

Cummings puts Trump on notice for wave of investigations
Democrats still have two weeks until they take control of the House, but a top Democratic investigator is already putting President Donald Trump on notice.

Incoming House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings on Wednesday sent more than 50 letters to multiple agencies and departments as well as the Trump Organization and Trump’s personal attorneys requesting documents on a series of scandals that have plagued the White House.

The Maryland Democrat is asking for more information on the administration’s handling of hurricanes Irma and Maria, Trump’s controversial family separation policy at the border, the White House decision to revoke the security clearances of high ranking former officials who became Trump critics, and more.
The requests also touch on misconduct allegations surrounding former EPA administrator Scott Pruitt; the use of government jets by Cabinet members for non-official travel; and the use of non-government emails for official business, which could ensnare Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Democrats also want to examine Trump’s financial ties, including payment by foreign governments or foreign government entities to the Trump Organization. Democrats are eager to explore whether the president has used his office to enrich himself personally.

Cool. They'll be too busy to raise taxes.

I agree accountability is cool, as is Congress taking its duty to oversee the Executive branch seriously.

Elijah Cummings investigating anyone about corruption is throwing stones at glass houses.

The next two.years will be interesting to see how low our country will go.

I agree accountability is cool, as is Congress taking its duty to oversee the Executive branch seriously.

Nothing in that article is about overseeing the executive branch seriously. It's about looking for something to **** with Trump over.

But the overarching "duty" of Congress is to legislate...for the good of the country. They don't seem to be all that interested in doing that. They'd rather **** with Trump.

Bring on the gridlock!!

Two years of unchecked executive power, will finally get oversight.

What's Trump up to...like 6 or 7 ongoing investigations, with at least a few already criminal investigations?
And now Democrats take over in January to go back and follow-up on all the stuff the failed Republican Majority hid and avoided for two years? And every single thing that isn't covered in a criminal/ongoing invesgiiation, they can look into. Maybe get some of these people to clear the air under oath, rather than to let them ramble on about their conspiracy theories...sounds fun.

I kind of feel sorry for them...I can't imagine their workload, in addition to their other duties. I wonder how big their staff will be compared to other years.

Nothing in that article is about overseeing the executive branch seriously. It's about looking for something to **** with Trump over.

I know you feel that way, but I don't agree.

But the overarching "duty" of Congress is to legislate...for the good of the country. They don't seem to be all that interested in doing that. They'd rather **** with Trump.

Yes, that's true, but Congress has more than one role, and pointing out the major role doesn't diminish the importance of others, one of them being oversight of the Executive branch. I know you'd prefer that Trump not face the same 'oversight' that we got with Clinton and Obama, non-stop hearings, investigations, etc. but you don't always get what you want.

And it's interesting that you're already condemning the Democrats for not legislating for the good of the country when they won't take office as the majority for about another month. Congressional leadership in the Democratic party has repeatedly emphasized that being something other than anti-Trump is in fact critical for the party and the country. We will see when it happens.

Ankle biters. As transparently political as it is a time burner. Given its seemingly unprecedented shot-gunning at every agency and business imaginable, it begs for a video in the spirit of "Girls Gone Wild", "House Dems Gone Wild".

Guess you weren't alive during the Clinton or Obama years.... :roll:

I know you feel that way, but I don't agree.

Yes, that's true, but Congress has more than one role, and pointing out the major role doesn't diminish the importance of others, one of them being oversight of the Executive branch. I know you'd prefer that Trump not face the same 'oversight' that we got with Clinton and Obama, non-stop hearings, investigations, etc. but you don't always get what you want.

And it's interesting that you're already condemning the Democrats for not legislating for the good of the country when they won't take office as the majority for about another month. Congressional leadership in the Democratic party has repeatedly emphasized that being something other than anti-Trump is in fact critical for the party and the country. We will see when it happens.

I welcome their efforts to prove me wrong about them. (but I won't hold my breath)

Ankle biters. As transparently political as it is a time burner. Given its seemingly unprecedented shot-gunning at every agency and business imaginable, it begs for a video in the spirit of "Girls Gone Wild", "House Dems Gone Wild".

Huh. That's some delicious sounding delusional covfefe you've been munching on.

For two years the GOP house did no oversight of Trump whatsoever. It even ran interference for his corruption.

Those days are over, and all you can do is wheeze and sputter in manufactured outrage.

NO, it isn't. What's coming back is spite, revenge, hate, and uber-partisan bull****.

Nah, more like some modicum of justice for the people of Puerto Rico, the children who've died or been traumatized in U.S. custody, the families in Flint, the taxpayers who've been defrauded, the Constitutional principles that've been disregarded, etc. Good government is making a comeback.

Nah, more like some modicum of justice for the people of Puerto Rico, the children who've died or been traumatized in U.S. custody, the families in Flint, the taxpayers who've been defrauded, the Constitutional principles that've been disregarded, etc. Good government is making a comeback.
LOL, you sing the loony left cataclysm like an alter boy. "Good government" and "Democrat" should never appear in the same sentence that doesn't contain a negative.

Like you and any of your liberal cronies on here really cared about accountability 2-3 years ago.

Sickening at best.

I imagine a lot of folks in Trump World are feeling sick right now.

Nah, more like some modicum of justice for the people of Puerto Rico

I agree. The local officials there need to be investigated and if necessary, arrested for corruption and negligence.

the children who've died or been traumatized in U.S. custody
More "But what about the CHILDREN!!!" :roll:
Blame their parents for bringing them here illegally.

, the families in Flint
That was Trump's fault?

the taxpayers who've been defrauded
Still waiting on the Congress critters paying us back for using a taxpayer-funded "hush fund" for their "hands on" extracurricular activities.

the Constitutional principles that've been disregarded
Still waiting on Obama getting reamed for disregarding the constitution with his "pen and phone".

Like you and any of your liberal cronies on here really cared about accountability 2-3 years ago.

Sickening at best.

Well, BUTWHATABOUTOBAMA doesn't actually address the merits of accountability. Why do you think it's a bad thing? Did you think it was wrong for the GOP to hold Obama accountable?

I thought the GOP beat a lot of dead horses into a bloody pulp during those years, but having a Congress watching the Executive branch is IMO a good thing. If nothing else the fear of having records demanded and made public in hearings acts as a deterrent for corrupt behavior I'd think, sort of like police....

I wonder if Congress's upcoming investigations of Trump will be as fruitful as previous investigations of Clinton.

Anyone have any guesses?

I imagine a lot of folks in Trump World are feeling sick right now.

I don't know about that. After 2 yrs of Mueller with his gang of liberal lawyers couldn't find anything on Trump and Mueller is not going to quit until he gets something. I sure don't see Elijah Cummings getting anywhere.

I don't know about that. After 2 yrs of Mueller with his gang of liberal lawyers couldn't find anything on Trump and Mueller is not going to quit until he gets something. I sure don't see Elijah Cummings getting anywhere.

You think Congress's investigations of Trump will be like Congress's investigations of Benghazi?

You think Congress's investigations of Trump will be like Congress's investigations of Benghazi?

Well with Trump we don't have 4 of our own that were left behind to be killed. Trump didn't go into Libya and bomb the **** out of it and then leave. You tell me.

Well with Trump we don't have 4 of our own that were left behind to be killed. Trump didn't go into Libya and bomb the **** out of it and then leave. You tell me.

What were the results of the Benghazi investigations again?
After 4 yrs of Congress with their gang of whatevers couldn't find anything on Wicked Killary.

In that way, perhaps Congress's investigation of Trump will be like Congress's investigation of Krooked Killary.

I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom