• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

"Culture of Corruption" continues...

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Yes boys and girls, the Republican "Culture of Corruption" has claimed another victim, Rep. Bob Ney who stepped down from his chairmanship of the House Administration Committee.

Republican Party ties to corruption include DeLay, Abramoff and who knows who else.

Feel free to add to the Republican led "Culture of Corruption" list if I have missed anyone else.

Let's just hope that the Democrats can sieze on this issue and take back America beginning in Nov. 2006

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/15/ney.leadership/index.html

Chairman steps aside during probe

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Bob Ney gave up his chairmanship of the House Administration Committee on Sunday amid an influence-peddling probe that has roiled the Republican Party, but he predicted the investigation would clear his name.

Ney, a six-term Ohio Republican, was under heavy pressure from House Speaker Dennis Hastert to give up his chairmanship after Ney was implicated in the scandal surrounding lobbyist Jack Abramoff, who pleaded guilty to corruption charges January 3...

Last edited:
[Moderator Mode]

Moved to the more appropriate forum...

[Moderator Mode]

Will Ney be indicted? Gawd, I hope so!

Spotlight on Lobbying Swings to Little-Known Congressman

Mr. Ney's legal problems may loom even larger than his political ones because he is in serious jeopardy of being indicted, people directly involved in the legal case have said. As a result, Mr. Ney is working intensely to convince Justice Department prosecutors that he was tricked by Mr. Abramoff into doing favors for the lobbyist's clients.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/17/politics/17ney.html

aps said:
Will Ney be indicted? Gawd, I hope so!

Spotlight on Lobbying Swings to Little-Known Congressman ...

Mr. Ney's legal problems may loom even larger than his political ones because he is in serious jeopardy of being indicted, people directly involved in the legal case have said. As a result, Mr. Ney is working intensely to convince Justice Department prosecutors that he was tricked by Mr. Abramoff into doing favors for the lobbyist's clients. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/17/politics/17ney.html

Tricked? I guess stupid plays better than corrupt.:(

UtahBill said:
Tricked? I guess stupid plays better than corrupt.:(

That's quickly becoming the defense of the day. Defense Du Jour if you will. Everybody from Ken Lay to now this guy. I can hear it now "yeah, I took all that money/trips/gifts... and well, yes I did vote how they asked me to, but, but, but they tricked me into it." The "I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing defense."

Pacridge said:
That's quickly becoming the defense of the day. Defense Du Jour if you will. Everybody from Ken Lay to now this guy. I can hear it now "yeah, I took all that money/trips/gifts... and well, yes I did vote how they asked me to, but, but, but they tricked me into it." The "I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing defense."
Which has been the EXACT excuse used in the passing of the Patriot Act and HR 114 giving the President authority to use military force in Iraq...

"We were duped!"...:roll:

cnredd said:
Which has been the EXACT excuse used in the passing of the Patriot Act and HR 114 giving the President authority to use military force in Iraq...

"We were duped!"...:roll:

There's a difference in those two cases you mention--the democrats (and any person paying attention to this issue) were duped. Somehow, I doubt that Ney was duped, but we shall see if he pulls it off.

aps said:
There's a difference in those two cases you mention--the democrats (and any person paying attention to this issue) were duped. Somehow, I doubt that Ney was duped, but we shall see if he pulls it off.
If they were duped, then Pacridge's last sentence stands firm and you agree...

The "I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing defense."

:shrug:

cnredd said:
If they were duped, then Pacridge's last sentence stands firm and you agree...

The "I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing defense."

:shrug:

Well, there is some truth to it. It sounds like had the members of Congress thoroughly reviewed what was provided to them, they would have asked more questions about Iraq and its capabilities.

aps said:
Well, there is some truth to it. It sounds like had the members of Congress thoroughly reviewed what was provided to them, they would have asked more questions about Iraq and its capabilities.

Well it's a dumba$$ defense. The Dems ought to have reviewed what they were passing before agreeing to pass it.

What the passing of the PA has to do with the current scandal, I don't know.

Pacridge said:
Well it's a dumba$$ defense. The Dems ought to have reviewed what they were passing before agreeing to pass it.

In the same realm as being duped to the lovely defense of "The country was so unified after 911 that I voted against my own beliefs for the PA because I didn't want to look un-patriotic" defense...

Pacridge said:

Pacridge, shall we both run for Congress? We wouldn't be dumba$$es! ;)

aps said:
Pacridge, shall we both run for Congress? We wouldn't be dumba$$es! ;)
Begs the questions, who elected these clowns? And which comes first, the elected official that becomes a dumbass, or the dumbass that becomes an elected official?
Must be something in the Washington, D.C. water.....

Pacridge said:

I don't know what this has to do with The Culture of Corruption but, the PATRIOT act was ramrodded through congress without much debate or simple briefings about its content in 01. As I understand it, the final version was printed in the early hours of the morning and then voted on the next day before noon. The vast majority of those who voted for it later admitted they didn’t read it. They just followed the orders of the party leaders on both sides of the isle.

Except for my man Russ Feingold.
Here is an excerpt from a statement on the PA from October 25, 2001

Of course, there is no doubt that if we lived in a police state, it would be easier to catch terrorists. If we lived in a country that allowed the police to search your home at any time for any reason; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to open your mail, eavesdrop on your phone conversations, or intercept your email communications; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to hold people in jail indefinitely based on what they write or think, or based on mere suspicion that they are up to no good, then the government would no doubt discover and arrest more terrorists.

But that probably would not be a country in which we would want to live. And that would not be a country for which we could, in good conscience, ask our young people to fight and die. In short, that would not be America.

Preserving our freedom is one of the main reasons that we are now engaged in this new war on terrorism. We will lose that war without firing a shot if we sacrifice the liberties of the American people.

snip

I am also very troubled by the broad expansion of government power under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, known as FISA. When Congress passed FISA in 1978 it granted to the executive branch the power to conduct surveillance in foreign intelligence investigations without meeting the rigorous probable cause standard under the Fourth Amendment that is required for criminal investigations. There is a lower threshold for obtaining a wiretap order from the FISA court because the FBI is not investigating a crime, it is investigating foreign intelligence activities. But the law currently requires that intelligence gathering be the primary purpose of the investigation in order for this lower standard to apply.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/feingold.html

Last edited:
This is far more than just a Republican issue. Stop playing partisan drone. I'm sure democrats will be implicated in this when the dust settles as well.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I hope all these corrupt politicians go down in flames.

KidRocks said:
Feel free to add to the Republican led "Culture of Corruption" list if I have missed anyone else.

Let's just hope that the Democrats can sieze on this issue and take back America beginning in Nov. 2006

Hmmmm, just a REPUBLICAN Culture?

Do you know who the latest congressperson to pay a big fine for corruption?

Do you wanna bet, must post a message saying UNCLE to the other, that the next congressperson to either go to jail or plea bargin a federal charge will be a Democrat?

Back
Top Bottom