• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cultural heritage.

Fabiusbile

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hello.
I am curious to know the opinion of people about such a phenomenon as cultural values, heritage, which have quite a material form and are exhibited in museums.
It's no secret that the largest museums in the world, like the Louvre, the Hermitage, the British Museum, have a huge share of their exhibits (which are owned by them), frankly speaking, do not originate from these countries... Well, there were no Egyptian pharaohs near St. Petersburg.
Of course, people always speak out in defense of museums that many exhibits, if they had not been exported from third countries, could simply have been lost to humanity, destroyed during riots, would have ended up in private collections or broken into pieces, in the case of jewelry. And this is often true.
However, time is changing, countries are changing and I periodically hear stories about what countries are... let's call them the progenitors of cultural heritage, the holders of these values ask museums to return them to their historical homeland.
For example, I know how many years there have been negotiations between Greece and Russia on the return of some exhibits from the time of Alexander the Great.

I'm curious to know how people of the Western world relate to such a phenomenon as the return of cultural values. Is it necessary to do this or should it be rejected, by the right of the strong or fearing that the artifacts of antiquity will be lost.

Hello.
I am curious to know the opinion of people about such a phenomenon as cultural values, heritage, which have quite a material form and are exhibited in museums.
It's no secret that the largest museums in the world, like the Louvre, the Hermitage, the British Museum, have a huge share of their exhibits (which are owned by them), frankly speaking, do not originate from these countries... Well, there were no Egyptian pharaohs near St. Petersburg.
Of course, people always speak out in defense of museums that many exhibits, if they had not been exported from third countries, could simply have been lost to humanity, destroyed during riots, would have ended up in private collections or broken into pieces, in the case of jewelry. And this is often true.
However, time is changing, countries are changing and I periodically hear stories about what countries are... let's call them the progenitors of cultural heritage, the holders of these values ask museums to return them to their historical homeland.
For example, I know how many years there have been negotiations between Greece and Russia on the return of some exhibits from the time of Alexander the Great.

I'm curious to know how people of the Western world relate to such a phenomenon as the return of cultural values. Is it necessary to do this or should it be rejected, by the right of the strong or fearing that the artifacts of antiquity will be lost.
1. I have read the excuse that it is better to have an art object in a London museum, for example, than in country X because more tourists are likely to see the object in London and appreciate the brilliance of the people in country X who made it many years ago. Few tourists, it is said, would ever travel to country X.

2. This is 2022. Everything is changing (to say the least!!!). Therefore: YES, return those objects to their rightful owners!!!

Hello.

It's like that joke about why the pyramids are in Egypt.

The reality so that Western Civilization actually preserved what many societies would have destroyed or discarded, lost in internal conflicts...or simply didnt give a **** about. People that bitch about artifacts England has preserved would likely have lost them or destroyed them in their development...or lack thereof.

The world exists because of conquest. Borders across the globe exist due to challenge, battle, and conquest. Its simply reality. Its time for people to grow up. Indians in the US can express outrage over their conquest by European settlers, but while doing so ignore their own history of conquest on this continent which involved murder, slavery rape, cannibalism, etc. Along the way, they werent keeping teepees and Quonset huts full of ancient artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom