• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cuckoldry is incredibly rare among humans

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

New study finds that only 1-2% of men unknowingly raise children who aren't theirs.

Reading the internet, or even perusing the scientific literature, you'd get the idea that people are constantly cheating on their spouses. Indeed, scientists have estimated that anywhere from 10-30 percent of men are unknowingly raising children who are not their own. This situation is referred to as cuckoldry, or scientifically as "extra-pair paternity." Now, however, it appears that our estimates of cuckoldry rates were way off.

A new survey published in Trends in Ecology and Evolution sums up a number of recent studies that show the actual rate of cuckolds in the general population, based on genetic testing and ancestor research, is 1-2 percent. This challenges evolutionary psychologists who have suggested that human women "routinely ‘shop around’ for good genes by engaging in extra-pair copulation to obtain genetic benefits." This idea came in part from studying socially monogamous songbirds, which mate for life but have roughly 1 in 10 babies as a result of "extra pair" matings.

Scientists were so unwilling to believe that human women were different from songbirds that some suggested the discrepancy between expected and actual rates of cuckoldry was a recent development caused by birth control. One study asserted that women who cheat may be getting pregnant less often than they would have historically. But that assumption turned out to be wrong as well. As the study authors write, human extra-pair paternity rates "have stayed near constant at around 1% across several human societies over the past several hundred years."

The researchers call this a "puzzle," because contraceptives would have been far less available centuries ago. Why are there so few cuckolds? The authors speculate that women may be remaining faithful due to "anti-cuckoldry tactics, such as male sexual jealousy, religious practices that regulate female sexuality, and strongly negative reactions towards female adultery." It's also possible that they fear sexually transmitted diseases, spousal abuse, divorce, or "reduced paternal investment by the social partner or his close relatives if the infidelity was discovered."

Ultimately, conclude the researchers, "the (potential) genetic benefits of extra pair children are unlikely to be offset by the (potential) costs of being caught, particularly in such a long-lived species as humans with heavy offspring dependence and massive parental investment." Basically, women aren't cheating because the costs are too great. Or, you know, it could just be that researchers have completely misunderstood the role of extra-marital sex in women's lives.

Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.tree.2016.03.004 [PDF]
=========================================================
I enjoyed my share of one night stands when I traveled for work but have no idea if anyone is walking around today with half my DNA. I believe all of the women I have known sexually were single & intentionally infertile.

What is with you and the cuck threads lately?
I'm quite interested in it. The form where a couple invites a man in to please a guy's S.O. in front of them. Since there are so many Republicans (more so than Democrats for some reason) who are into the practice, like Fallwell, Stone, Manafort, etc. there are plenty of available customers for a liberal "bull" like me :)

As you know, in all seriousness the practice is mostly about pleasing the couple and the fun continues with the couple long after the "bull" leaves <wink>

I'm quite interested in it. The form where a couple invites a man in to please a guy's S.O. in front of them. Since there are so many Republicans (more so than Democrats for some reason) who are into the practice, like Fallwell, Stone, Manafort, etc. there are plenty of available customers for a liberal "bull" like me :)

As you know, in all seriousness the practice is mostly about pleasing the couple and the fun continues with the couple long after the "bull" leaves <wink>

I wouldn't know because the rare occasions where I had found myself in a situation that looked like either that or a group bang, I felt too shy and confused to partake. The cuck thing just feels weird and a little creepy, the group sex thing is confusing.
I like to devote attention to one girl only, or at least that's what I discovered all those years ago.
Obviously as I am nearing sixty-four, no one's been breaking down my door for any such thing for a while 🤣

I'm more than happy to JUST GET LAID with one woman.
If I was single and lucky enough to deserve the attention of more than one, it would still have to be one woman at a time! 🤣

I wouldn't know because the rare occasions where I had found myself in a situation that looked like either that or a group bang, I felt too shy and confused to partake. The cuck thing just feels weird and a little creepy, the group sex thing is confusing.
I like to devote attention to one girl only, or at least that's what I discovered all those years ago.
Obviously as I am nearing sixty-four, no one's been breaking down my door for any such thing for a while 🤣

I'm more than happy to JUST GET LAID with one woman.
If I was single and lucky enough to deserve the attention of more than one, it would still have to be one woman at a time! 🤣
I was asked to do it once by a girlfriends' other boyfriend, but I declined because the boyfriend was a major asshole who didn't deserve the satisfaction.

64 is not old! Besides, you don't have to "bull" for someone in their 20's. I hear the Fallwells are looking for a more mature playmate :)

I was asked to do it once by a girlfriends' other boyfriend, but I declined because the boyfriend was a major asshole who didn't deserve the satisfaction.

64 is not old! Besides, you don't have to "bull" for someone in their 20's. I hear the Fallwells are looking for a more mature playmate :)

Hey don't laugh!! Preacher daughters and preacher wives are sometimes more wild than you can imagine! 🤣
And as you know, apparently preacher's sons are...well...let Dusty explain it to you.

Hey don't laugh!! Preacher daughters and preacher wives are sometimes more wild than you can imagine! 🤣
And as you know, apparently preacher's sons are...well...let Dusty explain it to you.

The song reminds me of the movie, "Pulp Fiction". I think it was the scene when Travolta's character was shooting heroine.

What is with you and the cuck threads lately?

New study finds that only 1-2% of men unknowingly raise children who aren't theirs.

Reading the internet, or even perusing the scientific literature, you'd get the idea that people are constantly cheating on their spouses. Indeed, scientists have estimated that anywhere from 10-30 percent of men are unknowingly raising children who are not their own. This situation is referred to as cuckoldry, or scientifically as "extra-pair paternity." Now, however, it appears that our estimates of cuckoldry rates were way off.

A new survey published in Trends in Ecology and Evolution sums up a number of recent studies that show the actual rate of cuckolds in the general population, based on genetic testing and ancestor research, is 1-2 percent. This challenges evolutionary psychologists who have suggested that human women "routinely ‘shop around’ for good genes by engaging in extra-pair copulation to obtain genetic benefits." This idea came in part from studying socially monogamous songbirds, which mate for life but have roughly 1 in 10 babies as a result of "extra pair" matings.

Scientists were so unwilling to believe that human women were different from songbirds that some suggested the discrepancy between expected and actual rates of cuckoldry was a recent development caused by birth control. One study asserted that women who cheat may be getting pregnant less often than they would have historically. But that assumption turned out to be wrong as well. As the study authors write, human extra-pair paternity rates "have stayed near constant at around 1% across several human societies over the past several hundred years."

The researchers call this a "puzzle," because contraceptives would have been far less available centuries ago. Why are there so few cuckolds? The authors speculate that women may be remaining faithful due to "anti-cuckoldry tactics, such as male sexual jealousy, religious practices that regulate female sexuality, and strongly negative reactions towards female adultery." It's also possible that they fear sexually transmitted diseases, spousal abuse, divorce, or "reduced paternal investment by the social partner or his close relatives if the infidelity was discovered."

Ultimately, conclude the researchers, "the (potential) genetic benefits of extra pair children are unlikely to be offset by the (potential) costs of being caught, particularly in such a long-lived species as humans with heavy offspring dependence and massive parental investment." Basically, women aren't cheating because the costs are too great. Or, you know, it could just be that researchers have completely misunderstood the role of extra-marital sex in women's lives.

I enjoyed my share of one night stands when I traveled for work but have no idea if anyone is walking around today with half my DNA. I believe all of the women I have known sexually were single & intentionally infertile.
Thats not cuckoldry

The song reminds me of the movie, "Pulp Fiction". I think it was the scene when Travolta's character was shooting heroine.

That song was a 45 RPM record on my little record player when it first came out, and I was too young and dumb to understand what ole Dusty was swooning about.
I'll never forget the day a buddy pulled that record out about seven or eight years later and put it on and mumbled something about his older brother dating a "PK" and his tales of derring do in the world of p*ssy.
Suddenly it hit me, she was singing about what a wild man her PK boyfriend was, and I busted up laughing.
The light bulb went on in my brain.
WOW, I was on the way to becoming a man!!!

Actually it was Mia Wallace snorting a rail of blow before she comes out into the living room to meet Vincent Vega.

Ah, you are correct, sir!

Everyone's all hot and bothered about Uma Thurman as a blonde but I think she was much cuter as a brunette but then again I am partial to brunettes and blondes don't generally float my boat all that much.
I admit that there are exceptions, of course.

Everyone's all hot and bothered about Uma Thurman as a blonde but I think she was much cuter as a brunette but then again I am partial to brunettes and blondes don't generally float my boat all that much.
I admit that there are exceptions, of course.
Yep, I prefer redheads but they're as rare as the unicorn.

As you know, in all seriousness the practice is mostly about pleasing the couple and the fun continues with the couple long after the "bull" leaves

Yeah, but it's like me suddenly putting out half a dozen threads on poly or BDSM. You know that someone would ask why I am putting out so many closely related threads.

As for Dem vs. GOP, I would say from experience that holds more true among "public" figures than the rank and file. It seems to be more balanced among the "common folk".

While there are those who would use the practice for unwanted abusive purposes, yeah, it's absolutely wonderful for those who enjoy it. I doubt I could deal with it for an overall lifestyle, not even as the bull. Maybe for a given one shot scene here and there.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

Yeah, but it's like me suddenly putting out half a dozen threads on poly or BDSM. You know that someone would ask why I am putting out so many closely related threads.

As for Dem vs. GOP, I would say from experience that holds more true among "public" figures than the rank and file. It seems to be more balanced among the "common folk".

While there are those who would use the practice for unwanted abusive purposes, yeah, it's absolutely wonderful for those who enjoy it. I doubt I could deal with it for an overall lifestyle, not even as the bull. Maybe for a given one shot scene here and there.

You get to satisfy two people instead of one, while having fun yourself. Seems like a "win win" scenario to me :)

I bet its more like 6-8% but most guys are too scared to ask/demand a test or their woman might leave them.

How many times have you seen a guy hugging a son/daughter that looks NOTHING like him? And everyone around that guy is going "Hrm.... I wonder if he knows...."

It usually happens with those couples that break up for 2 weeks then get back together, screwing everyone they can in that 2 week break I would think.

Thats not cuckoldry
Actually by the historical standards it is. It is not the cuckold fetish, but the articles is speaking of the original use of the word.

Since there are so many Republicans (more so than Democrats for some reason) who are into the practice, like Fallwell, Stone, Manafort, etc.

Did you figure it out yet genius?

Did you figure it out yet genius?

Yes, I've figured it all out.

its rare becuase it is disgusting and vile

Good to read this. This is one of the few areas where the law, IMO, is unnecessarily unfair.

Most jurisdictions, to my knowledge, will make divorced men pay child support for kids that arent their bio kids or adopted kids.

Honest question here.
Do these people get paid to do these odd studies and can I just decide to start a study about some really specific and odd subject and get paid for the next 5 years?

I could do a study on why consoles have lacked decent RTS games for the last 3 decades, that'll keep me occupied for 5 years at least.

Back
Top Bottom