• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cuban Democracy

Org

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

Democracy in Cuba

I wouldn't consider Cuba a democracy. If you can't stick your hand up and say "yes, I'll run for (insert appropriate legislative chamber here)" and not have to be a candidate of a particular party, that's not democratic.

I wouldn't consider Cuba a democracy. If you can't stick your hand up and say "yes, I'll run for (insert appropriate legislative chamber here)" and not have to be a candidate of a particular party, that's not democratic.

That's not a 100% accurate assessment. Cuba has elections to their legislative body, called the National Assembly. To run the government when it's not in session, the NA elects the Council of State, which the president is head of.

It's true that you can't decide to run, because you have to be nominated by at a gathering of your municipality, but you also don't have to be a member of the Communist Party. To be clear, all political parties, with the exception of the CP, have been outlawed. However, almost half of the NA's members are not part of the CP

So, it's not a true democracy then but a faux democracy, where the Cuban government tries to give the impression that the Communist Party isn't the omnipresent force in politics and that it tolerates "outsiders". If Raul was serious about reforms, he'd reform the Cuban political system to allow other parties to be allowed to run for the National Assembly, or even the Presidency, like Cubans used to do.

Until then, I'll still continue to regard Cuba as a non-democracy.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…