• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cuba Is Intervening in Syria to Help Russia

Sandokan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Cuba Is Intervening in Syria to Help Russia. It’s Not the First Time Havana’s Assisted Moscow.

Cuba Is Intervening in Syria to Help Russia. It?s Not the First Time Havana?s Assisted Moscow. - The Daily Beast

James Bloodworth

10/16/15

Reports that Cuban forces are now fighting in Syria follow a long history of the Castro brothers working closely with their patrons in Moscow.

Not for the first time Cuban forces are doing Russia’s dirty work, this time in Syria. On Wednesday it was reported that a U.S. official had confirmed to Fox News that Cuban paramilitary and Special Forces units were on the ground in Syria. Reportedly transported to the region in Russian planes, the Cubans are rumoured to be experts at operating Russian tanks.

For President Obama, who has staked his legacy on rapprochement with America’s adversaries, the entrance of Cuba into the bloody Syrian civil is one more embarrassment. Russia, Iran, and Cuba—three regimes Obama has sought to bring in from the cold—are now helping to prop up the regime of Bashar al-Assad, ruler of a fourth regime he also tried in vain to court early on in his presidency. Obama has been holding his hand out in a gesture of goodwill to America’s adversaries only for them to blow him a raspberry back in his face—while standing atop a pile of Syrian corpses.
Click link above for full article.
The Obama administration ignored the smuggling of weapons by the Castroit regime to North Korea in 2013, and the smuggling of Chinese weapons through Colombia in February 2015. Instead, it removed the Castroit regime from the state-sponsors of terrorism. Raul Castro reciprocate to the new policy of Obama administration, by sending troops to Syria to aide Assad.

[FONT=&]The Obama administration ignored the smuggling of weapons by the Castroit regime to North Korea in 2013, and the smuggling of Chinese weapons through Colombia in February 2015. Instead, it removed the Castroit regime from the state-sponsors of terrorism. Raul Castro reciprocate to the new policy of Obama administration, by sending troops to Syria to aide Assad.[/FONT]

That harks back to their activities in South America and Africa in the depths of the Cold War. It is interesting to see how quickly the international security situation is slipping into the chaotic parameters of a multiopolar game.

Last edited:
[FONT=&]The Obama administration ignored the smuggling of weapons by the Castroit regime to North Korea in 2013, and the smuggling of Chinese weapons through Colombia in February 2015. Instead, it removed the Castroit regime from the state-sponsors of terrorism. Raul Castro reciprocate to the new policy of Obama administration, by sending troops to Syria to aide Assad.[/FONT]

:lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo

What is Cuba doing in Syria that the USA hasn't been doing there and all over this planet for a long time?

Fill us in.

Come back when you have some real news.

:lol:

What will USA do about it? Sanctions?

IF USA supports the anti-Assad rebels then isnt USA at war with Russia?

Russia is now saying that they will build a "unified military base". Apparently it will have a port.

Is USA still the leader of the world? It doesnt seem like it?

France FM came out today in support of Russia bombing CIA-backed rebels. US allies are flaking. Australia said they will not bomb Assad only ISIS. Australia wants no beef with Russia. It doesnt seem like US is still leader of world.

Cuba government has not confirmed that Cuban troops are in Syria yet. This may be rumours. The rumours about the Chinese in Syria turned out to be nonsense. America seems paranoid. I wonder if a nation like Indonesia will join the fight. Or Venezuela maybe. Who else could join the Russian coalition? What is a unified military base anyway? And what happens if China or Russia build military base in Cuba or Venezuela and start sending war ships through shipping lanes like USA does to China in Asia Pacific?

What does Marco Rubio say about all of this anyway?

If WW3 does start in Middle East or Asia Pacific will any US allies support USA against Russia and China and friends? I doubt it.

edit- Cuba is very popular with leftists. If this is true then it will be bad for USA.

And do CIA-backed rebels really have a chance against Russia and Iran and Cuba? Maybe they would be better used in Yemen to try to get rid of the Houthi.

What if Russia defeats ISIS in Syria? It will make USA and Australia look like idiots and liars.

Last edited:
What is Cuba doing in Syria that the USA hasn't been doing there and all over this planet for a long time?

Fill us in.

The point that I got out of it, was that the US is bending over backwards to reestablish relations with Cuba and the Castro regime, while at the same time, Castro's government is supporting and supplying an enemy of the US.

That is worth talking about. For instance, why would we want to act as though we were good friends with a country that has troops in the field that could potentially find themselves on the opposite side of a field of combat from US troops? Why are we establishing trade and full diplomatic relations (which does a hell of a lot more for Cuba than it does for the US) with a country that has a history (recent history) of supplying arms and aid to enemies of the US and is now placing troops in the field in support of a government to which we are currently in the field against?

The point that I got out of it, was that the US is bending over backwards to reestablish relations with Cuba and the Castro regime, while at the same time, Castro's government is supporting and supplying an enemy of the US.
Who is that? Russia? An enemy of the US? Or Assad?

I'm sceptical that this story is true; I'll wait to hear it from a reputable source. In the meantime, surely anyone who is fighting ISIS and Al-Nusra (Al Qaeda) should be seen as the US's ally, shouldn't they?

Who is that? Russia? An enemy of the US? Or Assad?
Assad.

I'm sceptical that this story is true; I'll wait to hear it from a reputable source. In the meantime, surely anyone who is fighting ISIS and Al-Nusra (Al Qaeda) should be seen as the US's ally, shouldn't they?
I don't hold with the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" mantra. An enemy is an enemy, even when at times there may be mutually beneficial purposes that arise.

Assad.

I don't hold with the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" mantra. An enemy is an enemy, even when at times there may be mutually beneficial purposes that arise.

What a shame that most of Western foreign policy in the Middle East has been predicated on the principle that 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'. Think of the pandering to Saddam Hussain, the support of the Mujaheddin/Taleban in Afghanistan during the Eighties, current policies towards the Saudis and the Al-Sisi régime in Egypt and the very recent support being offered to Al-Qaeda/Al-Nusra front in Syria.

I applaud your sentiment, but recognise that it's pretty irrelevant in the current ME situation.

Sounds ludicrous to me. What kind of "troops" do the Cubans have? They are broke. Their air force is still flying Mig 21s I think.

This sounds like another desperate propaganda ploy by the US. Russia has done in 2 weeks what the US could not do in a year, and there is a very good reason for that.

Sounds ludicrous to me. What kind of "troops" do the Cubans have? They are broke. Their air force is still flying Mig 21s I think.

This sounds like another desperate propaganda ploy by the US. Russia has done in 2 weeks what the US could not do in a year, and there is a very good reason for that.
During 2015, the Castroit regime ties with Assad and Putin kept growing. Throughout the year, Russian spy ships that monitor U.S. defense networks, have been welcome in the island. In April the Russian Defense Minister said: “We intend to continue cooperation in supplying the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces with modern weapons and military hardware.” In May, Officials of the Syrian regime travel to Havana and met with Raul Castro. Also in May 2015, Raul Castro travel to Moscow and met with Putin, and a senior member of the State Duma Security said that, “As Russia restores military-industrial cooperation with Cuba, it may soon reopen the Lourdes signal intelligence center near Havana.”

As can be seen, the Castroit regime military present in Syria, should not be a surprise for the administration, it cannot argue it was asleep at the wheel.

During 2015, the Castroit regime ties with Assad and Putin kept growing. Throughout the year, Russian spy ships that monitor U.S. defense networks, have been welcome in the island. In April the Russian Defense Minister said: “We intend to continue cooperation in supplying the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces with modern weapons and military hardware.” In May, Officials of the Syrian regime travel to Havana and met with Raul Castro. Also in May 2015, Raul Castro travel to Moscow and met with Putin, and a senior member of the State Duma Security said that, “As Russia restores military-industrial cooperation with Cuba, it may soon reopen the Lourdes signal intelligence center near Havana.”

As can be seen, the Castroit regime military present in Syria, should not be a surprise for the administration, it cannot argue it was asleep at the wheel.

There are no Cuban troops in Syria, driving Russian tanks or otherwise.

Do you believe everything you see on Faux News?

Syria is so screwed up right now everyone might as well jump into the pot. Hell...the US armed rebels that then turned over their arms to Al Qaeda. Theres at least 6 different factions fighting at any given time.

What a ****ing mess.

Fill us in.

A) the US does not support Assad.
B) the US hasn't dropped one bomb in Syria.

That is worth talking about. For instance, why would we want to act as though we were good friends with a country that has troops in the field
that could potentially find themselves on the opposite side of a field of combat from US troops?
Why are we establishing trade and full diplomatic relations (which does a hell of a lot more for Cuba than it does for the US) with a country that has a history (recent history) of supplying arms and aid to enemies of the US and is now placing troops in the field in support of a government to which we are currently in the field against?

The USA has no troops on the ground in Syria so how is that going to happen?

Fill us in.

When it comes to false reporting about Cuba on Faux News, Sandokan probably wrote it.

It really is a No **** Sherlock moment isn't it when people act surprised that a country that has been under an effective embargo by another country for 40 or so years turns out to have been making friends elsewhere in order to survive. Who'd've thunk it.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly:

1) Russia buys its navy from France

2) Russia can barely take and hold a small piece of north eastern Ukraine

3) Russia has one overseas military base

4) Russia needs help from Cuba to hold that one base

why do we even acknowledge this California-sized economy as a superpower?

Cuba, really.

Few Americans know that Fidel Castro was ready to nuke the United States, and that Khrushchev took away the nuclear missiles since he knew he would do it. Castro hatred against the United States is so deep, that he did not give a damn that such action sealed the annihilation of the Cuban people and a large part of humanity.

On November 1962 the FBI arrested three Castroit agents in New York and seized a cache of explosives and incendiary devices. Their plot was to bomb Grand Central Station, Macy’s, Gimbels and Bloomingdale’s department stores in New York during the holiday shopping rush, which would had provoked a holocaust bigger that 9/11. Frightening what the regime had in storage for the American people. Many U.S. citizens would change their support of the Obama Policy with regard to the Castroit regime if they were aware of the facts.

Raul Castro II has demanded the return of Guantanamo Base. Already Russia is using Cuba bays as a base for its military spy ships. The regime receive economic assistance from Russia, which already has write off 90% of the debt, and if Putin as for a naval base in Guantanamo, Raul Castro II will agree to it.

According to a Pravda article in Jan 30, 3015, “Naval base in Cuba would be Russia’s best response to US hawks”, is already in the working. Russian Ambassador Alexander Yakovenko said: “I believe that Russia’s best response to US hawks and its allies would be to open a Russian naval base in Cuba.” If Guantanamo is returned to the Castroit regime it will be the best choice to establish its naval base. Link: Naval base in Cuba would be Russia's best response to US hawks - English pravda.ru

Back
Top Bottom