• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

cry me a river

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
Lately I have been hearing a lot of young people whining about student debt. They say they will be on average 50k in debt after they graduate and it is just so unfair. Nobody makes you go to school and if you want to get a job at Walmart right out of HS go right ahead. If you want to learn a trade by starting at the bottom at minimum wage and working your way up, go for it. If you have an idea to start a business of your own and want to work 70 hours a week just scraping by for years until things get going or you lose everything be my guest. When you choose to go to college you choose not to take these other roads. You choose to stay in school and ostensibly have an easier life with a higher income than your counter parts who go right to work. If you don't think it is worth the investment in time and money, don't do it. Nobody owes you an education so quit your damn sniveling will you please. There, I feel better now.:)

Lately I have been hearing a lot of young people whining about student debt. They say they will be on average 50k in debt after they graduate and it is just so unfair. Nobody makes you go to school and if you want to get a job at Walmart right out of HS go right ahead. If you want to learn a trade by starting at the bottom at minimum wage and working your way up, go for it. If you have an idea to start a business of your own and want to work 70 hours a week just scraping by for years until things get going or you lose everything be my guest. When you choose to go to college you choose not to take these other roads. You choose to stay in school and ostensibly have an easier life with a higher income than your counter parts who go right to work. If you don't think it is worth the investment in time and money, don't do it. Nobody owes you an education so quit your damn sniveling will you please. There, I feel better now.:)

You forgot one important option: community college for a couple of years.

There's another option as well - scholarship.

You could actually tackle the problem of high university costs.

You could actually tackle the problem of high university costs.

Hopeless. Costs will come down when demand goes down -- like everything else. As long as there's artificial money being thrown at these universities, they have no incentive to worry about costs.

Hopeless. Costs will come down when demand goes down -- like everything else. As long as there's artificial money being thrown at these universities, they have no incentive to worry about costs.

It is an actual cost issue with he universities and the money they receive. Canada also has a very high demand for post-secondary education but we have much lower costs for university.

You forgot one important option: community college for a couple of years.

AHA! Pure wisdom.

A local community college can save tens of thousands of dollar every year from the bill. And if you live at home, the savings is doubled. Two years of that and you just cut your potential student loan bill in half for a four year degree. And for the vast majority of kids, there is most likely a university within driving distance of home that they can finish those last couple of years at and get a degree just the same.

AHA! Pure wisdom.

A local community college can save tens of thousands of dollar every year from the bill. And if you live at home, the savings is doubled. Two years of that and you just cut your potential student loan bill in half for a four year degree. And for the vast majority of kids, there is most likely a university within driving distance of home that they can finish those last couple of years at and get a degree just the same.

For the helluva it, I looked up one of our local community colleges - the College of DuPage in Wheaton, Illinois. Excellent reputation. For a 19-year-old who's parents make under $60K a year, with two children only one of which is in college, the outright grant $ is about $1900. The cost per year for a full-time student is $5800, including books. That brings the net cost down to $3900. That's completely doable for anyone living at home. A part-time job and summer full-time puts this well within his reach. No, it's not the social experience; but it's an accredited Associate's degree that one may build upon. I'll take that over $12,000 in debt any day of the week.

My kids went to community college for the first 2 years and it saved a lot of money. Then went to a university, and lived at home for the last 2 years. They also both worked during college, made their own car payments and other miscellaneous things, but there is no way they could have gone to college if we had not helped them financially.

Both were good students in high school, but neither received scholarships.

Sure, you can go out and get a job right out of high school, but it's not going to pay much, more than likely.

Yes, you can enter the military, and get a college education that way, but the military is not for everyone.

Generally speaking, kids graduating from college today will be paying off student loans for years and years if they don't have some kind of assistance, whether it's scholarships, military, parents' help, whatever. My kids both have a college education, and both have jobs, but I can guarantee you they are not making huge amounts of income.

Not all college kids or graduates are sniveling. That's kind of large generalization to make.

We won't cry. But pretty soon we'll stop paying for your social security and medicare. You and yours screwed up the economy and pushed us onto this road. Now you'll have to suffer the consequences. Imagine how screwed you'll be when we start being as selfish as you are.

There's also the military option. If you join the reserves for any branch they'll help pay for college. That's what I plan on doing.

For the helluva it, I looked up one of our local community colleges - the College of DuPage in Wheaton, Illinois. Excellent reputation. For a 19-year-old who's parents make under $60K a year, with two children only one of which is in college, the outright grant $ is about $1900. The cost per year for a full-time student is $5800, including books. That brings the net cost down to $3900. That's completely doable for anyone living at home. A part-time job and summer full-time puts this well within his reach. No, it's not the social experience; but it's an accredited Associate's degree that one may build upon. I'll take that over $12,000 in debt any day of the week.

glad to see those numbers Maggie. When I taught high school, I would often ask seniors where they wanted to go to college. The vast majority of kids wanted to go to some school where they could live there away from home. When I pushed a bit and asked if there was a more local school which offered the same degree, almost always the answer was YES. But they wanted to get away from the family and wanted to do all the things they had seen in moves and had heard about.

Sadly, that is often the motivation behind a kid picking a college.

Signing for big bucks now and hopefully paying later when you have that imagined six figure income is just too good for some to pass up.

glad to see those numbers Maggie. When I taught high school, I would often ask seniors where they wanted to go to college. The vast majority of kids wanted to go to some school where they could live there away from home. When I pushed a bit and asked if there was a more local school which offered the same degree, almost always the answer was YES. But they wanted to get away from the family and wanted to do all the things they had seen in moves and had heard about.

Signing for big bucks now and hopefully paying later when you have that imagined six figure income is just too good for some to pass up.

It's shameful here in England..most people go to Uni and then find..

Graduates face toughest job market since depths of recession - Telegraph

We bailed out banks with hundreds of billions of dollars with very little return.

If we bail out folks with large student loans they will be spending a lot more money and stimulating economic growth and more jobs.

I understand the moral dilemma of foregiving people for loans to go to provate schools and major in stupid things like Theatre, Music, Art, Religion, and Philisophy. But that doesn't change the fact that foregiving these loans could jumpstart all sorts of massive spending in this country, which is good for all of us.

If we can bail out banks for little to no return, we can bail out students for a HUGE return.

It has little to do with demand and everything to do with the fact that the government has been handing out free money in the form of student loans so the universities have just raised their prices. If the government had a clue, they'd just put a hard cap on how much they will pay per year and let the universities deal with it. Their prices will have to come down when most people couldn't afford to go otherwise.

But no, the government isn't that bright.

We bailed out banks with hundreds of billions of dollars with very little return.

If we bail out folks with large student loans they will be spending a lot more money and stimulating economic growth and more jobs.

I understand the moral dilemma of foregiving people for loans to go to provate schools and major in stupid things like Theatre, Music, Art, Religion, and Philisophy. But that doesn't change the fact that foregiving these loans could jumpstart all sorts of massive spending in this country, which is good for all of us.

If we can bail out banks for little to no return, we can bail out students for a HUGE return.

Proof there was little or no return, please.

We spend a lot of money on a lot of stuff, if we spend money on something is not a good reason to spend on something else.

There's another option as well - scholarship.

I had the Life Scholarship, Army Tuition Assistance, and the GI Bill covering significant portions of my college education. I'm still 20 grand in debt, with further interest accruing every day.

I'm sorry, but that is simply an absurdly steep price to pay for a worthless piece of overhyped paper that has done exactly diddly squat in the way of helping me to attain gainful employment.

While I might very well be a fool for spending so much on such a comparative waste of time, I think I have at least some right to be peeved at the fact that my entire generation was basically scammed by the media and the educational system into believing that a college education was some sort of "magic bullet" that ensured success in adult life. We were blatantly lied to.

Last edited:
Proof there was little or no return, please.

We spend a lot of money on a lot of stuff, if we spend money on something is not a good reason to spend on something else.

I'm not going to do into lengthy details but we surely didn't even get a 25% profit on the bailouts.

Bail out these student loans and they wil surely pump billions into the economy.

Should we bail out people that go into debt to start a business and forgive their debts so they can jump start the economy or is this just for college kids?

In Illinois, we call them TIF districts, and they rob schools and taxing agencies of funds necessary to break even.

Well personally I want to leave one thing I learned from exchange is staying in this country sucks; I want to go other places though for university I would have to go to Toronto as the closet option which is over two hours away. The best I can do though is go to the Canadian version of Harvard in Nova Scotia, it's the same price to as going to Toronto minus the travel but I think it's worth it for the experience.

Big talk coming from someone whose generation grew up with insanely cheap and subsidized college tuition.

sawyer l believe education is a right and the university education should be free

sawyer l believe education is a right and the university education should be free

No, college education should not be free.

Not while college kids major in bull**** things like Philosophy, Art, Film, and Religion.

You want to waste 4 years of your life? Do it on your own dime.

Back
Top Bottom