• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

cry me a river

No, college education should not be free.

Not while college kids major in bull**** things like Philosophy, Art, Film, and Religion.

You want to waste 4 years of your life? Do it on your own dime.

you are government ?:mrgreen:

art ,philosophy ..wasting your life

some people never understand the concept of aesthetics , meaning ,sense etc..

I'm not going to do into lengthy details but we surely didn't even get a 25% profit on the bailouts.

Bail out these student loans and they wil surely pump billions into the economy.

I choose not to believe your "surely" as it just sounds like an opinion.

Funny, so does your second point.

The OP fails to recognize that all of us are dependent upon the US economy and therefore an educated work force helps us all and an ignorant one unable to compete is something by which we all lose.

State universities used to be extremely cheap from what I was told because the government recognized this was an overall social and economic benefit. However, this has shifted to being another area raided by the super banks and financial institutions, and governments running out of money deciding they'd rather spend it on themselves in ever increasing administrative staff and ever more regulations to justify it.

I choose not to believe your "surely" as it just sounds like an opinion.

Funny, so does your second point.

These loans keep people from spending.

Would you rather they spend their money on paying off government loans or spend that money on the private sector?

These loans keep people from spending.

Would you rather they spend their money on paying off government loans or spend that money on the private sector?

Are you kidding me? Is the money that the gov't spends to subsidze these student loan interest rates "free", or do you suppose that the gov't perhaps must take that money from the private sector economy via taxation? Oh, that's right, the gov't can just borrow or print the money. ;)

Should we bail out people that go into debt to start a business and forgive their debts so they can jump start the economy or is this just for college kids?

We shouldn't be bailing anyone out...unfortunately we've allowed our government to start that trend with banks, investment firms, and big businesses (Chrylser, et. al.).

Not surprsing everyone else thinks there's enough money in the pot for some more bailouts. I wonder who is going to bailout the government when there isn't any more money to run it?

in general, the money we don't spend on education, we pay and then some later ...

in general, the money we don't spend on education, we pay and then some later ...

I agree with you and Medusa, inasmuch as money spent on education is never wasted - in fact it is not 'spent', but invested. The returns are enormous - the march of civilisation has been dependent upon the acquisition and dissemination of information (otherwise known as education) since humankind emerged from the primordial slime.

It is my view that all education, from Kindergarten to Doctorates of Philosophy, should be funded by the state as the right of every citizen. Insufficient funds? Build fewer aircraft carriers and unmanned drones, and spend less money blowing up brown people around the world. Bail out fewer giant financial institutions, and failed mega-corporations. Let your President travel on commercial airlines rather than maintaining Airforce One, and all the panoply of security for his every journey. This applies as much to my society as it does to the USA.

A tertiary educated society is one in which there is less likely to be prejudice, illiteracy, violence and xenophobia. And a society wherein education is seen as a training for life, not merely a means to a higher income, is one in which civilisation is well established. A society in which one may reasonably expect to discuss the works of Gustav Mahler, or the philosophies of Kant, with the man who comes to mend your dishwasher. :)

I agree with you and Medusa, inasmuch as money spent on education is never wasted - in fact it is not 'spent', but invested. The returns are enormous - the march of civilisation has been dependent upon the acquisition and dissemination of information (otherwise known as education) since humankind emerged from the primordial slime.

It is my view that all education, from Kindergarten to Doctorates of Philosophy, should be funded by the state as the right of every citizen. Insufficient funds? Build fewer aircraft carriers and unmanned drones, and spend less money blowing up brown people around the world. Bail out fewer giant financial institutions, and failed mega-corporations. Let your President travel on commercial airlines rather than maintaining Airforce One, and all the panoply of security for his every journey. This applies as much to my society as it does to the USA.

A tertiary educated society is one in which there is less likely to be prejudice, illiteracy, violence and xenophobia. And a society wherein education is seen as a training for life, not merely a means to a higher income, is one in which civilisation is well established. A society in which one may reasonably expect to discuss the works of Gustav Mahler, or the philosophies of Kant, with the man who comes to mend your dishwasher. :)

good post .. educated people are better informed and that scares politicians ...

Back
Top Bottom