• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CRT and the end game of a cultural revolution

I cannot understand your sentence. Can you restate a different way?
I can try.
You said the pronoun "that" referred to an action. ("...overtly dismiss everything that's said because a comic is in the room.")

But the action was prefaced by "he didn't...". When you ask us to "Imagine that" I read that as asking us to imagine what "He" did or didn't do. The operative word being "he" not the action "overtly dismiss".

I can try.
You said the pronoun "that" referred to an action. ("...overtly dismiss everything that's said because a comic is in the room.")

But the action was prefaced by "he didn't...". When you ask us to "Imagine that" I read that as asking us to imagine what "He" did or didn't do. The operative word being "he" not the action "overtly dismiss".

Yes "that" is an action as it's part of "that's said" which describes an action of speaking.

Here's the exchange between myself and Aunt Antifa in sequential order:

Yes, he doesn't overtly dismiss everything that's said because a comic is in the room. Imagine that.

I stated "imagine that" not him. Pronouns are difficult aren't they?

My friend in this case is a him. In my back and forth nonsensical sparring with Aunt Antifa, my reference to him is my friend.

The portion of "imagine that" is describing imagining (another action) "Underestimated's friend" who is "he" and "him" who does not dismiss everything said in a room because a comic (Joe Rogan also a he/him) is in the room. Given the context, I'm not seeing the source of the confusion.

Yes "that" is an action as it's part of "that's said" which describes an action of speaking.

Here's the exchange between myself and Aunt Antifa in sequential order:

My friend in this case is a him. In my back and forth nonsensical sparring with Aunt Antifa, my reference to him is my friend.

The portion of "imagine that" is describing imagining (another action) "Underestimated's friend" who is "he" and "him" who does not dismiss everything said in a room because a comic (Joe Rogan also a he/him) is in the room. Given the context, I'm not seeing the source of the confusion.
This probably won't help but when you say 'imagine that' after saying "he doesn't dismiss" I'm inclined to assign the pronoun "that" to the who that dismissed and not the what that was dismissed.

This probably won't help but when you say 'imagine that' after saying "he doesn't dismiss" I'm inclined to assign the pronoun "that" to the who that dismissed and not the what that was dismissed.
"Imagine that" is an idiom, or "an expression in the usage of a language that is peculiar to itself either in having a meaning that cannot be derived from the conjoined meanings of its elements (such as up in the air for "undecided") or in its grammatically atypical use of words (such as give way)" Reference: Merrian Webster.

The idiom definition: "An expression of surprise, astonishment, or disbelief, especially regarding some recent revelation." Reference: Free Dictionary

In general I try not to use idioms so I can understand why you're wrongly assigning "that" an action to the dismissal.

"Imagine that" is an idiom, or "an expression in the usage of a language that is peculiar to itself either in having a meaning that cannot be derived from the conjoined meanings of its elements (such as up in the air for "undecided") or in its grammatically atypical use of words (such as give way)" Reference: Merrian Webster.

The idiom definition: "An expression of surprise, astonishment, or disbelief, especially regarding some recent revelation." Reference: Free Dictionary

In general I try not to use idioms so I can understand why you're wrongly assigning "that" an action to the dismissal.
I appreciate your patience in explaining. I must confess to a more simple understanding of pronouns but I'm always willing to learn.

Thanks.

no. and if you are not saying that , I would really like to hear how you would affect STEM that would not hurt the benefits of it.

I would have more diversity among those that develop STEM programs, decide admissions and hiring than is now. It would have to do with content, but not necessarily. More program oriented than content. I mean, it's not like I think creationism should be incl or that AGW is a hoax. Maybe if there were more minorities in deciding program focus there would be more S than M. I don't know. That's why for diversity. With a team approach, diversity does better.

Back
Top Bottom