• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Crossfit

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Have you heard of it?

Couple guys on my hockey team decided to give it a try, and I jumped in on it. It's smoke ya. :thumbs:

Not specifically, but from what I've heard about it, the P90X and Insanity I've been doing seem to be loosely modeled on it.

I've seen the px90, this is actually a gym and you kinda compete against each other as you go through the workouts.

I've seen the px90, this is actually a gym and you kinda compete against each other as you go through the workouts.

Ah yeah... the whole "competing" thing, not my deal. ;) I prefer to just workout. hehe

I thought you just meant the working out.

Ah yeah... the whole "competing" thing, not my deal. ;) I prefer to just workout. hehe

I thought you just meant the working out.

It's not so much "competing" as you would think. It's mostly against the clock, folks are real supportive. It's a neat environment actually.

Have you heard of it?

Couple guys on my hockey team decided to give it a try, and I jumped in on it. It's smoke ya. :thumbs:

I worked out of a crossfit gym last year. The main thing about Crossfit is there no way in hell I could ever push myself that hard if I was working out at home.
There isn't a latte machine or juice machine in Crossfit. This is for those who want to go 110%.
Everyone I have met there was very supportive of you and your pogress.

You must be on a semi-serious hockey team if members are in Crossfit. Most rec teams are good guys but most likely you would see them at the pizza parlor rather than a serious gym.
I love hockey. I still have a personal connection to a NHL player who is currently a team captain. It is amazing the punishment the body takes in the NHL. Most fans don't have a realization of their sacrifices.

You guys should have watched the Crossfit Games on ESPN, sponsored by Reebok.
Crossfit mantra is basically being fit in everything, not necessarily specializing. Another Crossfit mantra, faster than a weightlifter, and stronger than a sprinter. They basically redefined fitness. Anyone that wants to just be fit in general should at least look at their site. Or just to look at how punishing it really is.

I love hockey. I still have a personal connection to a NHL player who is currently a team captain. It is amazing the punishment the body takes in the NHL. Most fans don't have a realization of their sacrifices.

Most people don't understand the sacrifices of ANY serious competitive professional or semi-professional athlete.

Crossfit mantra is basically being fit in everything, not necessarily specializing. Another Crossfit mantra, faster than a weightlifter, and stronger than a sprinter. They basically redefined fitness. Anyone that wants to just be fit in general should at least look at their site. Or just to look at how punishing it really is.

I really like the bolded part. I slowly moving to all free weight work and already do a lot of cardio/running/sprinting. I catch some good hearted flack from the guys in my gym over the amount of cardio I do but I don't really care. The more I look at the principals of crossfit training the more I think it's where I need to be. My goal is stronger and faster. I'm not interested in being a distance runner, power lifter, or bodybuilder. I hit the 1.5 to 2 mile mark on a regular basis as part of my training, but I also break those runs up sometimes and do sprints. I also lift regularly and at an intense pace. Explosive, athletic strength and speed and endurance. That's what I want.

I watched those games on ESPN. It was a nice blend of power and stamina based exercises. That being said, the complete disregard for proper/safe lifting or exercise techniques bothers me a little bit. It's a good way to incur injuries. Still, they were/are tremendous athletes and its a great idea to constantly challenge different muscle energy systems and cardiovascular endurance. For the amateur, it should be done in a safer and more controlled manner.

Back
Top Bottom