• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Critics slam the White House after Psaki reveals it's consulting with Facebook to 'flag misinformation'

Psaki talking about the need to combat disinformation is a hoot.

Where was she for the last 4-5 years?

That's right. She was helping to spread disinformation while employed by CNN.

No...its called facts. Nobody is being forced here.
They don't need to force. All they need to do is ask with the implication of how much force government can bring to bear to get their way.

Actual definition of chilling free speech: Chilling effect is a term in law and communication that describes a situation where a speech or conduct is suppressed by fear of penalization at the interests of an individual or group. It can affect one's free speech.

Government wants Facebook to act a certain way and suppress the rights of individuals. It doesn't matter whether they are right or wrong. They have a right to be heard, but Facebook can by itself decide to censor their posts, its government doing the asking that is the essential problem because it will have the effect to cause others to not post or speak out in a certain way.

You combat bad speech with good speech and government has a lot of tools that are better suited to this than asking to suppress the rights of citizens.

They don't need to force. All they need to do is ask with the implication of how much force government can bring to bear to get their way.

Actual definition of chilling free speech: Chilling effect is a term in law and communication that describes a situation where a speech or conduct is suppressed by fear of penalization at the interests of an individual or group. It can affect one's free speech.

Government wants Facebook to act a certain way and suppress the rights of individuals. It doesn't matter whether they are right or wrong. They have a right to be heard, but Facebook can by itself decide to censor their posts, its government doing the asking that is the essential problem because it will have the effect to cause others to not post or speak out in a certain way.

You combat bad speech with good speech and government has a lot of tools that are better suited to this than asking to suppress the rights of citizens.
None of this is happening.

Facebook has taken down 18 million posts concerning covid lies. 12 people produce 65% of it on Facebook. The government has every right to bring this to the attention of social media platforms. What Facebook decides to do after that is up to them. Which is very clear is happening from what I've read.

You people are dangerous and getting people killed.

None of this is happening.

Facebook has taken down 18 million posts concerning covid lies. 12 people produce 65% of it on Facebook. The government has every right to bring this to the attention of social media platforms. What Facebook decides to do after that is up to them. Which is very clear is happening from what I've read.

You people are dangerous and getting people killed.

"You people", You need to grasp this very quickly, I am speaking to the legal principle involved here. I am not involved in the action of doing such.

You need to understand that and you need to quit making stupid accusations.

Government is asking Facebook to remove speech. You keep denying they have done so but even Psaki has admitted they have done this. You need to quit denying they did when the government has already admitted such.

You don't have a leg to stand on so you are making personal accusations that you have no basis for whatsoever. Your posts are shit, absolute shit.

"You people", You need to grasp this very quickly, I am speaking to the legal principle involved here. I am not involved in the action of doing such.

You need to understand that and you need to quit making stupid accusations.

Government is asking Facebook to remove speech. You keep denying they have done so but even Psaki has admitted they have done this. You need to quit denying they did when the government has already admitted such.

You don't have a leg to stand on so you are making personal accusations that you have no basis for whatsoever. Your posts are shit, absolute shit.
I haven't denied anything. I've stated asking Facebook isn't illegal.

When you grasp this let me know.

I'm not making stupid anything. I stand by what I said.

I haven't denied anything. I've stated asking Facebook isn't illegal.

When you grasp this let me know.

I'm not making stupid anything. I stand by what I said.
Yes. You are. I'm not the you people you stupidly referred to.

Yes you tried to deny that the government actually asked. Psaki already admitted they did ask. You are trying to deny already accepted facts.

Your posts remain shit, quit trying to lie past your mistakes.

OMG! A post that doesn't have a link to a left wing nut job site! An original thought! Noooo!
No, it's just too much for you to handle, and you've got nothing to counter, that's all.
There is one certifiably false thing in your position. That the US government has inside influence on FB actions. You've said it, yet you've never provided a single bit of evidence for your position. Oh, I get it...you're using the same strategy R's used to claim the 2020 election was rigged.

There is one certifiably false thing in your position. That the US government has inside influence on FB actions. You've said it, yet you've never provided a single bit of evidence for your position. Oh, I get it...you're using the same strategy R's used to claim the 2020 election was rigged.
They don't need inside influence. The regulatory environment of the US gives them all the influence they need. That's why they aren't supposed to ask for things like silencing citizens.

They aren't forcing people to do things. You dont know what the 1st amendment is.

There is no violation here but whats in your brain.

Amendment I​

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

It seems pretty clear that the govt monitoring citizens and private companies talking about medical information and opinions, and asking the press and companies to reduce them in scope (abridge) is a violation of the first amendment. Not to mention the fourth amendment, which prohibits them from searching (ie reading and monitoring) our papers and effects.

Even if they arent violating the literal letter of the law, they are violating the spirit of it. Their job is to secure our right to speak, not act to try and abridge it.

It seems pretty clear that the govt monitoring citizens and private companies talking about medical information and opinions, and asking the press and companies to reduce them in scope (abridge) is a violation of the first amendment. Not to mention the fourth amendment, which prohibits them from searching (ie reading and monitoring) our papers and effects.

Even if they arent violating the literal letter of the law, they are violating the spirit of it. Their job is to secure our right to speak, not act to try and abridge it.
Nobody said government..are you people stupid or something?

I said private business should ask for your Vax cards. Private ****ing business. Learn to read

I see you don't need to supply evidence for your opinions either.

They don't need inside influence. The regulatory environment of the US gives them all the influence they need. That's why they aren't supposed to ask for things like silencing citizens.
And what regulation provides for US Govt intrusion into private business operations in this fashion?

I don't ask for sources on opinions, but I do ask for them on claims. If someone asks I respond. Which position would you like me to source?

I don't ask for sources on opinions, I ask for them for claims. What have I said that you'd like me to source?

I don't ask for sources on opinions, but I do ask for them on claims. If someone asks I respond. Which position would you like me to source?
I'd have to find a valid one. That's going to be difficult.

I'd have to find a valid one. That's going to be difficult.
Probably you're going to want to shoot for wild claims, the valid ones don't really require sources. Why don't you start with the questions I've asked that you choose not to answer...

And what regulation provides for US Govt intrusion into private business operations in this fashion?
LOL, you're kidding right? Section 230 gives them all the leverage they need.

Nobody said government..are you people stupid or something?

I said private business should ask for your Vax cards. Private ****ing business. Learn to read

Lol suspended. Guess the insult tactic didnt go well.

Which the government regulates.
No. The government makes laws, enforces laws, and interprets laws. Regulations generally refer to actions taken by government agencies.

No. The government makes laws, enforces laws, and interprets laws. Regulations generally refer to actions taken by government agencies.
Christ on a cracker... Government agencies are under the executive branch. Its almost like you have no idea how our government actually works.

Perhaps I can help. There are three co-equal branches of government in the United States. There's the Legislative branch is made up of Congress (the House of Representatives and the Senate). Some primary responsibilities of this branch is to creates laws and the national budget as well as oversight of the executive branch. This leads us to the Executive branch which is led by the President who is elected every four years and it is the President's job to appoint advisors and cabinet members to help them run the government agencies that carry out the laws passed by Congress. And finally we have the Judicial branch which consists of the Supreme Court and lower federal courts. It's their responsibility to make sure the laws are constitutional and handles any legal disputes over the laws and their execution.

Regulations can be used to describe facets of law or policies created by authoritative agents. When someone cites a regulation it is typically used to refer to a piece of a law or an enforcement policy of an agency. When someone cites a specific regulation as defined by law they are often referring to the law itself as well as the means by which the executive branch enforces said regulation. These are some really good resources with quick and easily digestible information if you'd like to learn more.

Christ on a cracker... Government agencies are under the executive branch. Its almost like you have no idea how our government actually works.
And what is the duty of the Executive Branch? To enforce laws. What is the criminal penalty for an automaker producing a car that doesn't have seat belts? There is none. The penalty would be the inability to sell the car in America. It's almost like you have no idea how our government works...

No.

You should be open to information from all sources...and then use what reasoning and critical thinking ability you have...if any...and make up your own mind.

Tell me...when Trump is President again, will you accept HIS administration telling social media who needs to be banned? Will you tolerate social media following his orders? I don't think so. Yet this is what you demand of all Americans right now.
Trump will never be president again. He is going to jail.

Back
Top Bottom