• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Critics see contradictions in Obama administration's Syria claims

Not sure why your anger is addressed at me nor why you're lecturing me. In any event, our discussion has run its course - take care and have fun.

You have been steadfastly advocating that the US needs to do something. What does Canada need to be doing?

Critics don't see the legality in attacking a country that hasn't attacked us, against the will of the American people and without a UN resolution on secretive "evidence" that president Assad commited the very illogical act of attacking his own people who largely support him and at risk of hostilities spreading throughout the entire region and possibly drawing Russia or China in!!!

Let's think of this in another set of terms for a moment.

1. Jews make up 2% of the USA population. Syria's war will definitely spill into Israel if Al Qaeda gains enough territory that they come into possession of an air force and chemical WMD's. Jews in America have strong ties to Israel and are concerned with what is happening over there.
2. America's Jews are not the only ones that can be affected by this - America's greatest ally is also the only true democracy in the region (before Iraq, and considering that Turkey really is not part of the Middle East but just adjoins it). America has a long history of protecting democracy and trying to stop the spread of communism and despotism.
3. Russia is already arming Assad. We therefore cannot sell arms to Assad unless we want to get in a bidding war and cut our weapons profits down to nothing. If we want to make money in this civil war our only choice is to sell to Assad's enemies. America is capitalism at its best; and walking away from a huge amount of profit goes against the whole reason military corporations exist.

What does Canada need to be doing?

Canada needs to take back Doug Flutie and needs to make more hockey teams close to the USA border. And I am talking AHL and not NHL. I think it's garbage that the NHL is trying to remove goons from the sport. That's like taking rubbing out of NASCAR.

Let's think of this in another set of terms for a moment.

1. Jews make up 2% of the USA population. Syria's war will definitely spill into Israel if Al Qaeda gains enough territory that they come into possession of an air force and chemical WMD's. Jews in America have strong ties to Israel and are concerned with what is happening over there.
2. America's Jews are not the only ones that can be affected by this - America's greatest ally is also the only true democracy in the region (before Iraq, and considering that Turkey really is not part of the Middle East but just adjoins it). America has a long history of protecting democracy and trying to stop the spread of communism and despotism.
3. Russia is already arming Assad. We therefore cannot sell arms to Assad unless we want to get in a bidding war and cut our weapons profits down to nothing. If we want to make money in this civil war our only choice is to sell to Assad's enemies. America is capitalism at its best; and walking away from a huge amount of profit goes against the whole reason military corporations exist.

You keep talking about making money off this Snap. You know that makes my head explode. Is that why your doing it? :)

You have been steadfastly advocating that the US needs to do something. What does Canada need to be doing?

Source for your contention? I've done no such thing, as it relates to Syria - I've clearly said the time for intervention in Syria by the US has long passed. Canada needs do nothing other than assist Syrian refugees both here in Canada and in Syria's neighboring countries, which we have been doing for the better part of two years now at a cost of several hundred million dollars.

Source for your contention? I've done no such thing, as it relates to Syria - I've clearly said the time for intervention in Syria by the US has long passed. Canada needs do nothing other than assist Syrian refugees both here in Canada and in Syria's neighboring countries, which we have been doing for the better part of two years now at a cost of several hundred million dollars.

There you have it. That's all I think the US should be doing at the beginning of it, now and ever.

You keep talking about making money off this Snap. You know that makes my head explode. Is that why your doing it? :)

I am a realist. You have to know that military contractors in USA make hundreds of billions each year and employ millions. What will these people do if there are no more wars? I'm not saying I want wars in general, but I am saying that I also don't want to pay 60% tax rates like Europe just because everyone is on the government teet and nobody can find a job. Why do you think USA is always so fast to get into wars? It cannot be because we love those little yellow people in the rice paddies or the muzzies living in a tent on top of some sand dune. You and I both know we don't really care about those folks. So we have to be in this stuff for profit, no?

Back
Top Bottom