• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Critics blast new Obama regs for fracking on federal lands

Obama is doing everything in his power to make the USA a 3rd world power.

Critics blast new Obama regs for fracking on federal lands | Fox News

A new regulation announced Friday by the Obama administration -- requiring fracking companies who drill on federal lands to disclose what chemicals they use in the controversial process -- was blasted as "yet another attack on American jobs" by GOP lawmakers, who said the mandate could slow the U.S. energy boom.

How dare they ask that the companies disclose what chemicals they are using? Why, it's insane over regulation! What if arsenic or perhaps mercury were to be found to be the most effective chemicals to use? Why, they'd probably be banned! Just imagine if mercury had been banned during the gold mining era! Why, it would still be safe to eat fish taken from the mining areas.

Oh no! Companies have to release what chemicals they are using, and blasting into our water supply!? The outrage!

Clearly knowing what chemicals could leech into the groundwater is yet another step on the road to third-world serfdom.

I love how the headline reads "critics." Turns out those "critics" are ... GOP lawmakers. Shocking.

How dare they ask that the companies disclose what chemicals they are using? Why, it's insane over regulation! What if arsenic or perhaps mercury were to be found to be the most effective chemicals to use? Why, they'd probably be banned! Just imagine if mercury had been banned during the gold mining era! Why, it would still be safe to eat fish taken from the mining areas.

It is even more shocking: they only have to release what chemicals they are using if it is federally(ie, our land) owned land. Damn the people wanting to know what chemicals companies are putting into our land! Damn them I say!!!

Last edited:
It is even more shocking: they only have to release what chemicals they are using if it is federally(ie, our land) owned land. Damn the people wanting to know what chemicals companies are putting into our land! Damn them I say!!!

I see the problem. Conservatives are against these regulations because they don't believe in publicly owned land.

Clearly knowing what chemicals could leech into the groundwater is yet another step on the road to third-world serfdom.

I love how the headline reads "critics." Turns out those "critics" are ... GOP lawmakers. Shocking.

Why would you need to know that. If something toxic leaks in and kills you and your family, you can just sue.

How the hell is this a scandal? And why does this even have critics?

The regs are a start. Still wish fracking everywhere was covered by the Clean Water Act. Wasn't it Cheney who arranged that "little" exemption?

Given that both sides are unhappy, the regs are probably a good compromise for the moment.

I agree we should know what chemicals they are using everywhere not just on federal lands.

I think in 10 or 20 years we'll look back on fracking, horrified that we allowed it. Of course, I've been wrong before.

God dammit! This violates my freedom to drink liquid mercury and arsenic! What's next, being forced to breathe clean air?

Obama is doing everything in his power to make the USA a 3rd world power.

Critics blast new Obama regs for fracking on federal lands | Fox News

Really? Apparently, you're tying regulations on oil production to our first-world status. Soooo...has oil production gone down significantly or up significantly during the Obama administration?

AND if you're living in a place where a business is pumping chemicals into the ground that might find its way into your children's drinking water, do you think that you as a parent have a right to know what chemicals that business is pumping into the ground? Or do you think that businesses have a right to do whatever they want, no matter who is adversely affected?

The regs are a start. Still wish fracking everywhere was covered by the Clean Water Act. Wasn't it Cheney who arranged that "little" exemption?

Given that both sides are unhappy, the regs are probably a good compromise for the moment.

I agree we should know what chemicals they are using everywhere not just on federal lands.

I think in 10 or 20 years we'll look back on fracking, horrified that we allowed it. Of course, I've been wrong before.

we've been fracking since the 40's... though in recent times, it's become much more prevalent.
and I highly doubt we'll be horrified.

that said, requiring chemical disclosure is fine... no real harm can come from it beyond compliance costs.

Really? Apparently, you're tying regulations on oil production to our first-world status. Soooo...has oil production gone down significantly or up significantly during the Obama administration?

AND if you're living in a place where a business is pumping chemicals into the ground that might find its way into your children's drinking water, do you think that you as a parent have a right to know what chemicals that business is pumping into the ground? Or do you think that businesses have a right to do whatever they want, no matter who is adversely affected?

the water that is being pumped into those wells is NOT at risk of finding it's way into your , or your childrens, drinking water.
the risk of water contamination comes from surface spillages and well blowouts... both of which are exceedingly rare.

though, to be fair, the EPA is keeping it's eye on a couple of shallow wells to see if the dense liquid used in fracking will somehow migrate upwards....

the water that is being pumped into those wells is NOT at risk of finding it's way into your , or your childrens, drinking water.
the risk of water contamination comes from surface spillages and well blowouts... both of which are exceedingly rare.

though, to be fair, the EPA is keeping it's eye on a couple of shallow wells to see if the dense liquid used in fracking will somehow migrate upwards....

If you'll check, what's being used for fracking is NOT just "water" - far from it. Have you tried to find whether there are any instances of fracking chemicals making its way into the local drinking water?

If you'll check, what's being used for fracking is NOT just "water" - far from it. Have you tried to find whether there are any instances of fracking chemicals making its way into the local drinking water?

it water with addition chemicals.... and yes, I've looked into the drinking water contamination issue as well....though I stick to actual reporting on the issue corroborated with the reports from reputable firms ( such as the National Academy of Sciences), and I intentionally steer clear of political hack sites who are pushing a specific agenda..

water contamination issues should surely be entertained and dealt with... but as of now, it's not a problem that pertains to the fracking chemicals.... the examples of water contamination we have seen thus far are from methane and other hydrocarbon gases, not fracking chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom