• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

Guy Incognito

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
From the Miami Herald

``The rightness of this is so clear, especially dealing with what we've experienced in the past 80 days or so in the Gulf of Mexico,'' Crist said. ``I just don't think I'd be doing my duty as your governor if I didn't call this session and at least try, and I'm hoping that we'll be successful and we'll see.''
Republicans reacted with criticism or silence, and Democrats praised Crist's move as overdue.

I for one am thrilled about this. One thing Florida definitely does not need is a repeat of this oil spill. Of course, Florida already bans offshore drilling, but a constitutional amendment is probably the best way to preserve the lesson from this tragedy and protect Florida's beaches from a future of short sighted oil-drilling.

Of course, this is being turned into a Republican talking point, to be used as a bludgeon against Crist in his upcoming Senate race against tea party hack Marco Rubio. What else is new. But I don't think it will work, the people of Florida know what is in their best interest and Crist really is looking out for the state here.

Last edited:
If more shallow drilling were allowed, this deep water and ultra deep water problem wouldn't be so prominent...

Anyone know what the ballot rules are in Florida?

From the Miami Herald

I for one am thrilled about this. One thing Florida definitely does not need is a repeat of this oil spill. Of course, Florida already bans offshore drilling, but a constitutional amendment is probably the best way to preserve the lesson from this tragedy and protect Florida's beaches from a future of short sighted oil-drilling.

Of course, this is being turned into a Republican talking point, to be used as a bludgeon against Crist in his upcoming Senate race against tea party hack Marco Rubio. What else is new. But I don't think it will work, the people of Florida know what is in their best interest and Crist really is looking out for the state here.

Another lefty wants people to be unemployed and poor. Who is surprised? Going to get your oil from China? Put drilling on the ballot will likely backfire on you.

Another lefty wants people to be unemployed and poor. Who is surprised? Going to get your oil from China? Put drilling on the ballot will likely backfire on you.

Won't the oil spills also have an impact on certain industries that will lead to people becoming unemployed and unable to work?

Won't the oil spills also have an impact on certain industries that will lead to people becoming unemployed and unable to work?

If they hadn't been forced into deep water and ultra deep water by envirofreaks, we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place...

Bull****, this is a one in thousands incident even a scientist could pull a trend out of it.

If more shallow drilling were allowed, this deep water and ultra deep water problem wouldn't be so prominent...

Anyone know what the ballot rules are in Florida?

There are only ~30 rigs affected by the moratorium. The rest are still in operation.

Bull****, this is a one in thousands incident even a scientist could pull a trend out of it.

Let's not talk theories or trends, let's talk reality. How much economic impact on jobs will the oil spill have and what will it do for jobs and industries such as industrial fishing, tourism, etc. By dealing in half truths and generalities, your concern for workers job opportunities seems insincere at best. You are concerned about jobs, right?

If they hadn't been forced into deep water and ultra deep water by envirofreaks, we wouldn't be having this problem in the first place...

No one forced anyone to drill anywhere.

From the Miami Herald

Actually, I don't know that Crist wants to ban drilling, but he at least wants to give Florida voters a say in what happens. I'm not a fan of governance by constitutional amendment, but in this case, it's the only way to give voters a direct vote on the issue. Half of our House has already sold out to big oil, in spite of the deepwater horizon disaster. ****ERS.

I'm guessing you don't realize that a hefty percentage of our economy in Florida is reliant upon tourism. Deepwater Horizon is having a major impact on the panhandle already, and could affect the rest of Florida, as well, particularly the west coast. You want to drill? Do it in your own damn state, NOT MINE.

i don't want tar balls on my beaches. period.

I'm guessing you don't realize that a hefty percentage of our economy in Florida is reliant upon tourism. Deepwater Horizon is having a major impact on the panhandle already, and could affect the rest of Florida, as well, particularly the west coast. You want to drill? Do it in your own damn state, NOT MINE.

i've heard from a lot of sources that the chances are virtually none that the oil will migrate here. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

i've heard from a lot of sources that the chances are virtually none that the oil will migrate here. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's not quite here yet, though I've heard that Pensacola is having major issues. You know who has good coverage? Mother Jones | Smart, Fearless Journalism.

I'm dreading when it reaches Panama City, Destin, and Cape San Blas...some of the most beautiful sugar sand beaches on earth, and still wild and lovely.

We tried to buy some oysters this weekend, and apparently, they're cleaning out Appalachicola bay in advance of the oil since it will be closed soon. They're shipping all the Appalachicola oysters to NOLA, because they have a huge demand and are having difficulty finding them now, so they're paying a premium. Bastards.

Last edited:
Does the idea of Florida voters having a say on this issue bother you, Mr. V?

:blink:

How do you make such a leap from me questioning TennesseRain's silly comment about "No forced anyone to drill anywhere" to trying to claim I have a problem with voters having a say about anything.

Personally, I think such a moratorium would be dumb. Plenty of foriegn countries are looking to drill in and around Floridia in the Gulf (around Cuba for example, out in international waters). So such a ban would do little to protect the state from "an oil spill".

You've got a serious problem with attempting to cast other people into views you think they should have, and you need to stop that crap.

:blink:

How do you make such a leap from me questioning TennesseRain's silly comment about "No forced anyone to drill anywhere" to trying to claim I have a problem with voters having a say about anything.

IT was actually a simple question. It seemed...out of character for you.

From the Miami Herald

Yes lets do away with even more jobs! Great idea!

It's not quite here yet, though I've heard that Pensacola is having major issues. You know who has good coverage? Mother Jones | Smart, Fearless Journalism.

I'm dreading when it reaches Panama City, Destin, and Cape San Blas...some of the most beautiful sugar sand beaches on earth, and still wild and lovely.

We tried to buy some oysters this weekend, and apparently, they're cleaning out Appalachicola bay in advance of the oil since it will be closed soon. They're shipping all the Appalachicola oysters to NOLA, because they have a huge demand and are having difficulty finding them now, so they're paying a premium. Bastards.

damn. just damn.

Back
Top Bottom