• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Crist applauds Florida's opening of first oil spill response branch office

Guy Incognito

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Charlie Crist said:
Dear Friends,
I continue to be committed to recovery efforts in the Gulf of Mexico. Last week, I called a Special Session of the Florida Legislature from July 20, 2010 through July 23, 2010, to address a constitutional amendment banning offshore drilling in Florida waters.
This amendment would be put before the people this November. I am confident our legislators will make the choice to protect Florida’s environment and economy from any future disaster like we have seen recently in the Gulf of Mexico.
The connection between Florida’s environment and economy is inextricable. We must do everything we can to ensure a spill of this magnitude cannot happen again.
While visiting with business owners in Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, Apalachicola, St. Petersburg and Miami, I have seen firsthand how they are hurting. That is why I created the Oil Spill Economic Recovery Task Force that met last week for the second time in Pensacola.

http://nsbnews.net/content/284261-c...pening-first-oil-spill-response-branch-office

The Task Force has apparently been around since June but their first report didn't say much. However, they are still researching the situation, and it's not like the oil is going anywhere...

I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

What do you folks think?

Good! We've...maybe...plugged the hole, next is to figure out how to minimize the damage and compensate people who had their livelihoods destroyed by carelessness.

And also figure out who let BP continue to do business in our territory with so many safety violations and can their ass :p

DON'T BAN OFF SHORE DRILLING!!!!!

people's jobs are more important than the environment! Screw the keys, Jim Bob could find work on a rig if they don't ban off shore drilling.

The "enviornment" isn't more important that's funny. Because, you know all those tourists that didn't come to Florida or the Gulf doesn't affect anyone's jobs huh?

DON'T BAN OFF SHORE DRILLING!!!!!

people's jobs are more important than the environment! Screw the keys, Jim Bob could find work on a rig if they don't ban off shore drilling.

You're missing the bigger picture. For one thing, offshort drilling is, blessedly, already banned in Florida, and we're working on a Constitutional Amendment to make sure it stays that way for good. But more to the point, there are vastly more jobs provided by the tourism brought to Florida by pristine beaches. This is not a case where people's jobs and the environment are in conflict.

You're missing the bigger picture. For one thing, offshort drilling is, blessedly, already banned in Florida, and we're working on a Constitutional Amendment to make sure it stays that way for good. But more to the point, there are vastly more jobs provided by the tourism brought to Florida by pristine beaches. This is not a case where people's jobs and the environment are in conflict.

I'm pretty sure that BCR's post was satire.

yeah guys, was just kidding around...Sarcasm doesn't read well though, lol.

Back
Top Bottom