• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Criminal Immigrants Reoffend at Higher Rates Than ICE Has Suggested

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
They were among the nation’s top priorities for deportation, criminals who were supposed to be sent back to their home countries. But instead they were released, one by one, in secret across the United States. Federal officials said that many of the criminals posed little threat to the public, but did little to verify whether that was true.

It wasn’t.

A Globe review of 323 criminals released in New England from 2008 to 2012 found that as many as 30 percent committed new offenses, including rape, attempted murder, and child molestation — a rate that is markedly higher than Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have suggested to Congress in the past.

Comments? Thoughts?
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...s-suggested/l0OpCWfTdCuTNLIAfxApAO/story.html

All criminals do, but at least they all obey gun control laws.

Hey a little quick Googling seems to show Casper is right! :doh

Their recidivism rate is 30%, and U.S. citizen's is over 60%?

This seems to be what I'm seeing.

The story didn't assert that immigrant criminals have a higher recidivism rate than non-immigrants.

The story states that ICE's numbers are not correct concerning recidivism amongst immigrant criminals.

This is the 2nd straw man attempt on this thread.

The story didn't assert that immigrant criminals have a higher recidivism rate than non-immigrants.

The story states that ICE's numbers are not correct concerning recidivism amongst immigrant criminals.

This is the 2nd straw man attempt on this thread.
Well, you asked for our thoughts, and that's mine.

So what are your thoughts?

What are you trying to convey by posting this article?

Well, you asked for our thoughts, and that's mine.

So what are your thoughts?

What are you trying to convey by posting this article?

Thanks Chomsky, maybe I misread your intentions, and you're one of the fairest posters here so.

My intentions were just to share the story, as I don't honestly believe that government crime statistics are correct. I know that would make me a wingnutter in some circles, but I think most gov agencies have a vested interest in underreporting crime/crime statistics.

Hey a little quick Googling seems to show Casper is right! :doh

Their recidivism rate is 30%, and U.S. citizen's is over 60%?

This seems to be what I'm seeing.

Why in the world would they let illegals who have been convicted of a crime roam our streets in the first place? Send them home, make sure that their home country knows what they've done, and let them deal with it.

Or, better yet: If their recidivism rate is half that of American criminals, let's trade: Keep one of our bad guys and we'll keep one of yours. I'd be wiling to bet that would discourage our domestic bad guys if the could wind up in a prison in Mexico, Guatemala, or some such place.

Thanks Chomsky, maybe I misread your intentions, and you're one of the fairest posters here so.

My intentions were just to share the story, as I don't honestly believe that government crime statistics are correct. I know that would make me a wingnutter in some circles, but I think most gov agencies have a vested interest in underreporting crime/crime statistics.
Sounds perfectly fair to me.

And I agree.

I'm also blown away to see the recidivism gap too - who woulda' thunk it?

They reoffend at around half the rate that American convicted criminals do. Is that what you were looking for?

That's hard to quantify. bureau of justice measures it by the rate within 5 years of release that a convict is arrested again. there are breakdowns for arrests of violent or non violent crimes and again its just arrests not convictions.
~I don't think we have a study that I'm aware of that compares legal residents to illegals.
But recidivism is high for sure and one thin I noticed is that putting conditions on a criminals release does not seem to help reduce the recidivism rate.
the only thing putting conditions on release helps with is that they tend to not commit crimes in other states but commit them in their home state either way the rate is about the same.

The remark below is regarding arrests of all released criminals for any type of crime ~ http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mschpprts05.pdf
"Within their first year of release, an estimated 43% of prisoners were arrested for a new crime either within the state of release or in another state (see figure). When examining recidivism rates within the state of release only, an estimated 41% of prisoners were arrested within 1 year following release. Within 5 years of their release, 77% of the released prisoners were arrested either within or outside the state of release. However, when examining arrests during the 5-year follow-up period within the state of release only, an estimated 72% of prisoners were arrested. During the follow-up period, 5% of the prisoners had only out-ofstate arrests and were not arrested within the state that released them."

Why in the world would they let illegals who have been convicted of a crime roam our streets in the first place? Send them home, make sure that their home country knows what they've done, and let them deal with it.
Well, to be accurate the article specifies "immigrants", making no note of "legal" or not.

But yeah, I'm with you: You're here as a visitor or in a pre-citizenship phase, and you break the law. I'd send you back if I had the choice, though I might differentiate between petty offenses and more serious or violent crime.

Or, better yet: If their recidivism rate is half that of American criminals, let's trade: Keep one of our bad guys and we'll keep one of yours. I'd be wiling to bet that would discourage our domestic bad guys if the could wind up in a prison in Mexico, Guatemala, or some such place.
Alright, the math may seem to work, but let's not get carried away now! :lamo

Well, to be accurate the article specifies "immigrants", making no note of "legal" or not.

But yeah, I'm with you: You're here as a visitor or in a pre-citizenship phase, and you break the law. I'd send you back if I had the choice, though I might differentiate between petty offenses and more serious or violent crime.

Alright, the math may seem to work, but let's not get carried away now! :lamo

Carried away would be suggesting we outsource our criminals to, say, El Salvador for example. Let them keep them locked up, and we'll pay them half or so what it would cost us. That way, El Salvador gets some hard currency, we save some money, and the bad guys don't want to go back to prison any time soon. It's a win- win.

That's getting carried away, but come to think of it....

Prison in El Salvador:

10423132ed4eeff71044dfdceeb33577

It could be unconstitutional, though.

It does almost no good to "send them home", they come right back in the first chance they get. Remember the Kate Steinle shooting? It bolstered support for Trump. Steinle was the young woman who was shot in the back by illegal immigrant Francisco Sanchez, while walking with her father in a tourist area of San Francisco.

Sanchez had been deported 5 times previously to Mexico, and was on probation in Texas, which failed to deport him after releasing him. Sanchez had 7 felony convictions in the US before he killed Steinle.

Deporting people to Mexico isn't effective.

It does almost no good to "send them home", they come right back in the first chance they get. Remember the Kate Steinle shooting? It bolstered support for Trump. Steinle was the young woman who was shot in the back by illegal immigrant Francisco Sanchez, while walking with her father in a tourist area of San Francisco.

Sanchez had been deported 5 times previously to Mexico, and was on probation in Texas, which failed to deport him after releasing him. Sanchez had 7 felony convictions in the US before he killed Steinle.

Deporting people to Mexico isn't effective.

We also have plenty of Good Americans in Prisons for exactly the same things, all you are proving is that bad men come from all backgrounds.

We also have plenty of Good Americans in Prisons for exactly the same things, all you are proving is that bad men come from all backgrounds.

I don't get you. Good Americans are in prison for what?

What a lame cop out excuse of an answer.
Chew on this.....the difference is that US citizens are subject to US law and held to a higher degree of responsibility. it may not be right, but it is what it is.
They can't hide behind a border after shooting your sister in the back.

ILLEGAL immigrants, since they are not US citizens, are often deported back to their own country rather than facing prosecution.
Which is a joke on our legal system and puts LEGAL US citizens at risk.

You make is sound as though ILLEGALS have the RIGHT to come here and commit crimes against US citizens with impunity and without recourse.

What a lame cop out excuse of an answer.
Chew on this.....the difference is that US citizens are subject to US law and held to a higher degree of responsibility. it may not be right, but it is what it is.
They can't hide behind a border after shooting your sister in the back.

ILLEGAL immigrants, since they are not US citizens, are often deported back to their own country rather than facing prosecution.
Which is a joke on our legal system and puts LEGAL US citizens at risk.

You make is sound as though ILLEGALS have the RIGHT to come here and commit crimes against US citizens with impunity and without recourse.

BS, the law is the law and applies to anyone in a court of law.
If they are serious crimes they are normally prosecuted.
No, I never said any such thing it just sounds like that in your head.

The "good" is Satire, ignore it and maybe you will get it.

Oh, OK. You may have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.

I wasn't saying that Mexicans are bad, or that they are more likely to be criminals.

I was illustrating how easy it is for a Mexican National with a lengthy criminal history to reenter the United States after being deported. Francisco Sanchez was deported 5 times, and should have been deported a 6th time.

Yet after all of that, he snuck back into the country. Now he is a burden to taxpayers, who will spend $47,000 a year to keep him locked up for the rest of his life.

Oh, OK. You may have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.

I wasn't saying that Mexicans are bad, or that they are more likely to be criminals.

I was illustrating how easy it is for a Mexican National with a lengthy criminal history to reenter the United States after being deported. Francisco Sanchez was deported 5 times, and should have been deported a 6th time.

Yet after all of that, he snuck back into the country. Now he is a burden to taxpayers, who will spend $47,000 a year to keep him locked up for the rest of his life.
So what you are saying is that:
It is fairly easy to get into the USA
and
Criminals have no regard for the law.
Ok, not breaking news, but neither addresses the problem, solutions?
How about these,
Strengthen the Border Patrol
Put repeat offenders in jail, a couple of months then deportation and the time doubles every time they get caught.
Fine and if that does not work arrest and imprison those that hire illegals.
Do not allow the children of illegals that are also illegals to attend our school system
Cut off all Welfare or other assistance programs to anyone not here Legally.
I believe those measures alone would cut the illegal traffic dramatically, no jobs, assistance and possible jail time tend to remove the incentives to come here. That or annex Mexico, clean up their crime problem, educate their people and build a 100 mile wall on the southern border (that would be feasible), we gain new States and all the resources Mexico offers. Oh there would be a short little war that would last a few weeks at most after that most Mexicans would be fine with it.
Anyway those are a few possible solutions, something people forget about when bi*ching about a problem, because without solutions are we are doing is bi*tching.

Sounds perfectly fair to me.

And I agree.

I'm also blown away to see the recidivism gap too - who woulda' thunk it?

Remember now they are only counting the ones that are getting caught.

Back
Top Bottom