• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Crime and punishment.

Fabiusbile

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hello.
In the description of this topic, I will try to be as completely impartial as possible, because the purpose of the topic is different... although I honestly admit that it is difficult to be impartial here.
And so.
I want to show you and tell you about one event taking place in the Russian reality, but with a question to the Americans - how would you have it happen? For in the Russian social networks, a very heated discussion broke out.
The culprit of the topic, Viktor Mokhov. A maniac from Ryazan. I will leave a link to Wikipedia with a full description of his crimes.
In short... this person, in 2000, abducted two underage girls, 14 and 17, and for more than 3 years forcibly held them in a specially dug and prepared bunker underground. It is clear that this crime is motivated by a sexual nature. During these three years, the eldest of the girls twice gave birth to boys, whom Mokhov threw in residential apartment buildings.
By the way, the children are alive, were adopted by citizens of Spain and the United States, everything happened before the ban by the Russian authorities to adopt children to foreigners. But unfortunately, or even fortunately, the further fate of the boys is unknown. The state guardianship authorities of Ryazan refuse to provide information to journalists about who exactly put the children to sleep. I suppose neither the current parents nor the boys themselves know who the father of these children is.
But back to the crime.
I do not want to describe the horrors of Mokhov's crimes, because it is unpleasant for me. The content of these girls was certainly terrible, he gassed them in case of insubordination, deprived them of water and food, etc.
In 2003, Mokhov's captives were released.
Mokhov was sentenced to 16 years and 10 months in prison. And on March 3, 2021, this citizen was released.
This quite strongly aroused the Russian public, as well as a lot of people wondered about the punishment.
When Mokhov was sent to prison, few people paid attention to the term of imprisonment, the crime was very resonant for Russia and many were sure that he would most likely be dealt with by convicts in prison. In Russia, rapists are generally despised in prisons, and even such... they never lived to be released before. However, the administration of the institutions protected him quite strongly, no one was responsible for his death, and Mokhov was very often transported from prison to prison, since there are many of them in Russia, where his identity was hidden from the convicts.
However, Day X came and Mokhov was released alive and relatively healthy. A lot of people in Russia now accuse the Russian judicial system of being too lenient in the sentence in the Mokhov case and that, for example, in the United States, this citizen for similar crimes would never have been released after receiving a multiple of more than 17 years.
I want to ask those who understand American criminal law - how many years of imprisonment would Mokhov receive in the United States

It certainly depends on a lot of factors but 17 years in prison would probably be a similar outcome in the US

Back
Top Bottom