• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Create your list of which weapons should be banned and which should be allowed

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Let's set the bad guys aside and just focus on the regular ole American citizen who likes to target shoot, hunt, etc. Make a list of which weapons these people (again, not the bad dudes) should not have the right to own and which weapons they should have the right to own.

Let's set the bad guys aside and just focus on the regular ole American citizen who likes to target shoot, hunt, etc. Make a list of which weapons these people (again, not the bad dudes) should not have the right to own and which weapons they should have the right to own.

All small arms including full auto that the police and military have access to should be allowed for civilian ownership.

All small arms including full auto that the police and military have access to should be allowed for civilian ownership.

Okay, I'm Canadian so I don't have a dog in the hunt. I'm also a gun owner, a hunter. But I seriously wonder why you would want a full-auto weapon. It's got to cost thousands, and the ammunition bill for an afternoon at the range would probably buy me beer for the month.
Don't get me wrong- I'm all for Americans owning machine guns. I live far enough from the border that the noise won't bother me and strays won't affect me and if it comes to pass I'll buy stock in ammunition manufacturers. I just wonder why.

Okay, I'm Canadian so I don't have a dog in the hunt. I'm also a gun owner, a hunter. But I seriously wonder why you would want a full-auto weapon. It's got to cost thousands, and the ammunition bill for an afternoon at the range would probably buy me beer for the month.
Don't get me wrong- I'm all for Americans owning machine guns. I live far enough from the border that the noise won't bother me and strays won't affect me and if it comes to pass I'll buy stock in ammunition manufacturers. I just wonder why.

I think the better argument in a free society is "why not"

Versus why.

But I'm of the mindset that other peoples reasons don't matter to me as long as they do not affect me.

If they were legal I might own one just because they're cool, but I have no practical reason

I think the better argument in a free society is "why not"

Versus why.

But I'm of the mindset that other peoples reasons don't matter to me as long as they do not affect me.

If they were legal I might own one just because they're cool, but I have no practical reason

I agree, I was being flippant. If I was American I'd say the constitutional 2nd ammendment says that citizens are entitled to own those weapons. I'd also say the 10 Commandments were carved in stone.
As a Canadian, I regret that we have a constitution. Such as it is. My rights used to be protected by British Common Law, which has evolved over centuries as society has changed, and it is still working well where it's allowed to.
The US is a different society, though. If I lived in Seattle or Cincinnati or New Orleans I'd arm myself as I saw fit and who knows, even if I didn't want to buy a full-auto weapon, I might want that window kept open.
More likely is that I'd move myself and my familyto a place where I didn't feel the necessity.

I keep it simple. At a minimum, any weapon that civilian police officers are authorized to use, the general public should be authorized to have.

I would say, if a ban on a type of weapon would pass strict scrutiny, and if it were acceptable to ban it for the police (including federal law enforcement), then it would be OK to ban it for civilians as well.

Lets see

any firearm: that means a hand held weapon that discharges an inert projectile by means of explosive powder.

any edged weapon-swords, switchblades, sabers

any impact weapon-nunchaku especially

any firearm used by any civilian police department in the USA or similar designed are clearly protected

so is the individual infantry weapon

Not allowed to own

stuff that is banned for civilian law enforcement

Surface to air missiles, grenades, land mines, anti tank rockets, mortars etc

stuff that is not an individual weapon designed for individual use against individual targets

chemical warfare weapons

Nuclear, or biological weapons

We should ban bacon, due to its lethality.

My list of weapons people should not be allowed to own.
1) Nukes
2) Chemical weapons
3) Biological weapons

My list of firearms that should be prohibited:
1)

There is room for licensure and restrictions on explosive ordnance or other destructive devices that create a blast radius, or otherwise uncontrollable kill zone like noxious chemicals.

I believe that the right to keep and bear arms is a universal human right, not limited to American citizens except by tyrannical governments.

I believe this human right extends to all personal weapons, including but not limited to all handguns; all rifles; all muscle-powered projectile weapons; all knives and swords and other melee weapons; and all single-target less-lethal weaponry.

I think fully automatic weapons-- machine pistols, submachine guns, assault rifles, and light and heavy machine guns-- should be legal for citizens, ideally, but I do not consider licensing or even outright bans of these weapons to be meaningful infringements of the right to keep and bear arms. Frankly, they are not very useful for civilians whether their purposes are lawful or otherwise.

I believe that explosives more powerful than commercial fireworks should require a license. All forms of anti-personnel explosive devices, all artillery, and all explosive ordnance should be restricted to lawful militia training and strictly controlled, but I believe that State-sponsored and well-regulated militia groups should have access to them in case of need.

I believe that all nuclear, biological, and lethal chemical weapons should be prohibited even from State use and that governments that maintain stockpiles of these weapons should be sanctioned by the international community.

Not all police are allowed full auto weapons....usually reserved for certain members of SWAT...ONLY!

I keep it simple. At a minimum, any weapon that civilian police officers are authorized to use, the general public should be authorized to have.

Ditto!

I agree, full auto weapons cost a lot to feed, kind of like a horse. As a Rangemaster, I've had lots of fun over the years shooting them, from Thompson's to MP5Ks and many in between. There have been days when I've gone through 500 rounds of just one caliber and several hundred of other calibers. It doesn't take long.

I agree, I was being flippant. If I was American I'd say the constitutional 2nd ammendment says that citizens are entitled to own those weapons. I'd also say the 10 Commandments were carved in stone.
As a Canadian, I regret that we have a constitution. Such as it is. My rights used to be protected by British Common Law, which has evolved over centuries as society has changed, and it is still working well where it's allowed to.
The US is a different society, though. If I lived in Seattle or Cincinnati or New Orleans I'd arm myself as I saw fit and who knows, even if I didn't want to buy a full-auto weapon, I might want that window kept open.
More likely is that I'd move myself and my family to a place where I didn't feel the necessity.

Many places are safer than others, but no place is totally safe. Evil can be anywhere. My motto is always stay prepared and prepare for any scenario.

Lets see

any firearm: that means a hand held weapon that discharges an inert projectile by means of explosive powder.

any edged weapon-swords, switchblades, sabers

any impact weapon-nunchaku especially

any firearm used by any civilian police department in the USA or similar designed are clearly protected

so is the individual infantry weapon

Not allowed to own

stuff that is banned for civilian law enforcement

Surface to air missiles, grenades, land mines, anti tank rockets, mortars etc

stuff that is not an individual weapon designed for individual use against individual targets

chemical warfare weapons

Nuclear, or biological weapons

I've always wanted a LAWS Rocket. And after watching all the ground wars in Libya and elsewhere, I'm thinking those Muslims over there are having way too much fun with access to so many neat weapons. I am a bit envious, but off topic.

We should ban bacon, due to its lethality.

Yes, but everything is good in moderation.

Entertainment mainly. Why do people fly airplanes that run $300 an hour? Drive $80,000 sports cars? The point of life is to be happy.

Some people also take to heart the very American idea that to remain free you have to be able to defend yourself from tyranny. While weve created a culture that makes its very difficult for any western govt to so abuse its power that its deserving of rebellion, you cant ever become complacement. We thought Russia was reformed, and look at it now, invading its neighbors.

I believe that the right to keep and bear arms is a universal human right, not limited to American citizens except by tyrannical governments.

No, it isn't. I have no opinion on what Americans choose to do. It's there in your constitution and if you decide to change that constitution that's up to you. Suggesting to other nations that their democracy and human rights are dependent on permitting the widespread ownership of deadly weapons is not helpful. Plenty of nations have functioning democratic decision-making mechanisms, some considerably less prone to abuse than your own. You need to focus on what works for your democracy and leave others to make their own decisions, even if they aren't ones with which you agree.

No, it isn't. I have no opinion on what Americans choose to do. It's there in your constitution and if you decide to change that constitution that's up to you. Suggesting to other nations that their democracy and human rights are dependent on permitting the widespread ownership of deadly weapons is not helpful. Plenty of nations have functioning democratic decision-making mechanisms, some considerably less prone to abuse than your own. You need to focus on what works for your democracy and leave others to make their own decisions, even if they aren't ones with which you agree.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your country. I just think your gun laws are morally equivalent to China's speech laws.

edit: My country sucks. Don't make fun of the one thing we get right.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your country. I just think your gun laws are morally equivalent to China's speech laws.

I'd say the same about your collective casual indifference to your gun death stats. Ever heard of the Social Contract? Your approach seems much more Hobbesian.

My list of weapons people should not be allowed to own.
1) Nukes
2) Chemical weapons
3) Biological weapons

My list of firearms that should be prohibited:
1)

There is room for licensure and restrictions on explosive ordnance or other destructive devices that create a blast radius, or otherwise uncontrollable kill zone like noxious chemicals.

I don't know that we should allow government to restrict weapons ownership but for WMD possibly.

Don't ban any, but thoroughly investigate the ( potential ) owners. Any whiff of anything not proper, revoke the license.
Of course that would necessitate that the FBI actually did their jobs instead of *****footing about. As with everything else, my privacy rights end where someone else' life is endangered.
Vet me, check me, look at me from all angles. If I can pass the test, leave me to buy any gun I darn well want.
It is a weapon, and choosing to use is as a means to kill lies with the person who pulls the trigger, not the weapon itself.
As an aside, I think that every gun owner should have extensive training by a licensed professional on how to properly use and secure their weapon (s).

I'd say the same about your collective casual indifference to your gun death stats. Ever heard of the Social Contract? Your approach seems much more Hobbesian.

I don't see why anyone should think they should condemn another country's constitutional arrangements especially, where one has little experience of the other country and no skin in the game. If one lives there it is another matter or, if one has put large effort into understanding what the full difference is and why the other constitution is different and what the real effects of the offending matter are, it might be something else.

Yes, I have heard about the social contract. Part of that social contract is that the government will uphold our human rights, which is why your government is illegitimate.

I don't know that we should allow government to restrict weapons ownership but for WMD possibly.
I do see merit in licensure of area effective weapons, "fire and forget" can have unintended or catastrophic consequences in the wrong hands. Even the best ordnance training can still be effected by windage or miscalculation so I can see having requirements such as safe storage, handling, and designating an area of operation far away from people.

Yes, I have heard about the social contract. Part of that social contract is that the government will uphold our human rights,

And also provide security and protection to its citizens. Your government seems to be extremely half-hearted in that commitment.

Back
Top Bottom