• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cracks in the Wall?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I understand how united the president's base is about the wall. I also understand regardless of that unification, they are the minority opinion on the issue. If not, how does the right explain the republican offer to open the government got less votes than the dems offer to open the government. Also explain to me rationally why six republican senators voted with the dems. Even voters in his own party are getting fed up and those six senators who feel the heat responded by voting with the dems.

Is 2020 slipping away from the GOP?

I understand how united the president's base is about the wall. I also understand regardless of that unification, they are the minority opinion on the issue. If not, how does the right explain the republican offer to open the government got less votes than the dems offer to open the government. Also explain to me rationally why six republican senators voted with the dems. Even voters in his own party are getting fed up and those six senators who feel the heat responded by voting with the dems.

The damage is done regardless.

All of the GOP senators up in 2020 are going to have a hell of a time being reelected, especially those in purplish/light red states, where Democrats previously held office before the landslide loss in the 2014 midterms.

Arizona, North Carolina, Iowa, Maine, Colorado, and Texas are all going to be tough for Republicans to hang on to, and if Trump keeps ****ting the bed we might even see red states where Democrats can win, flip their Senate seats blue if things get crazy enough.

And the 2022 map is going to be just as hard.

They all stuck with Trump way too long on this.

I would dearly love to say it is, but after 2016 I'm a little more cautious. That said, I don't think Trump is doing himself any favors.

imo any one up for reelection in 2020 is going to have a hard time getting reelected. I hold the President and both Houses of Congress responsible for this mess. Congress has used CR's to keep the doors open far to long. It is time the President and Congress develop and PASS a budget based on long term strategy. The strategy should cover important programs for the US people.

Six Republican Senators voted for the Democratic bill to reopen the government. One Democratic Senator voted for the Republican bill. The die is cast, so to speak. Republicans are going to cave.

I would dearly love to say it is, but after 2016 I'm a little more cautious. That said, I don't think Trump is doing himself any favors.

Me too. Polls always close to about the margin of error just before elections and then it can go either way on the night. People moan and gripe off-season making this side or that look more or less popular but when forced to do something about it, often fall back into old habits, or if uninspired, just stay home. Then even the technically less popular candidate can win on the day. That was the 2016 lesson.

That said there are other statistics that can shed light on 2020: changing demographics, the 2018 results, economics and the way the wind is blowing. The Dems deserve to have an optimistic outlook going into 2020 for those reasons but should not be so cocksure as they were in 2016 either.

That vote was kabuki theater. It means nothing.

The wall will be built.

Yes, I believe it is. Trump is doing the GOP no good.

Now that McConnell is on the run Schumer has got to show some gumption. He cannot sell Pelosi down the river. Let the new Bill being worked up in the House pass and force McConnell to deal with that. Don't pass some pile of trash out of the Senate and sit that turd on Pelosi's desk. She has carried the ball here and I think Schumer while not being too bright is smart enough to figure out who is the stronger, wiser, tougher Hill leader. Hint Chucky....its not you!

Shutdown could be over in a week.

So this morning it appears that unlike Pelosi, the Senate both sides of the aisle has allowed itself to be thrown into a tizzy (maybe its zillionth already) over Trump's comment that he wants "prorated" wall funding in any bridge CR. Don't they get it yet. I might have never commented about McConnell's political smarts. Instead I have always credited him for being consequential and able to wrap Schumer around his little finger. But he is not looking to swift lately....looking about Schumer speed. So while Senators wring their hands over the prorated comment they completely ignore the reality of dealing with the Donald. You have ignore what he says and just push on. Prorated to what....three weeks?

The only word that matters talking to the Donald is the word YES. When that word leaves his lips you have to have the document there for him to sign. Get his signature and walk out!

What was Pelosi's response to this nonsense? "I don't know what Donald is talking about. I don't think he does." That was a perfect response. She just moves ahead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom