• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Covid vaccine rush could make pandemic worse, say scientists

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Covid vaccine rush could make pandemic worse, say scientists | Society | The Guardian

The rush to immunise populations against Covid-19 could lead to the rollout of a vaccine that is not very effective and risk worsening the pandemic, leading scientists have said.

Politicians and commercial companies are competing to be the first to license a vaccine, but experts say the world would be better served by waiting until comprehensive results showed at least 30-50% effectiveness.

Ministers announced on Friday that the UK would take emergency powers to push any vaccine through the regulatory processes with unprecedented speed before the end of the year. Donald Trump wants to be able to announce the US has a vaccine before tthe presidential election on 3 November.

A vaccine is vital to stopping the pandemic, but Prof Sir Richard Peto of Oxford University and an adviser to the World Health Organization, said the first vaccine would be bought and used all over the world even if it had low efficacy.

Even if it protected only a minority of the population, it would be regarded as the standard by which later vaccines would be measured. That could even lead to inferior vaccines being approved, because they would not have to show that they were any better.
===================================================================
Let's see. Likely only 20% of those eligible will elect to get vaccinated. With only 30-50% effectiveness, that leaves 6-10% of the population who got the vaccine still vulnerable. That's no way near herd immunity.

Covid vaccine rush could make pandemic worse, say scientists | Society | The Guardian

The rush to immunise populations against Covid-19 could lead to the rollout of a vaccine that is not very effective and risk worsening the pandemic, leading scientists have said.

Politicians and commercial companies are competing to be the first to license a vaccine, but experts say the world would be better served by waiting until comprehensive results showed at least 30-50% effectiveness.

Ministers announced on Friday that the UK would take emergency powers to push any vaccine through the regulatory processes with unprecedented speed before the end of the year. Donald Trump wants to be able to announce the US has a vaccine before tthe presidential election on 3 November.

A vaccine is vital to stopping the pandemic, but Prof Sir Richard Peto of Oxford University and an adviser to the World Health Organization, said the first vaccine would be bought and used all over the world even if it had low efficacy.

Even if it protected only a minority of the population, it would be regarded as the standard by which later vaccines would be measured. That could even lead to inferior vaccines being approved, because they would not have to show that they were any better.
Let's see. Likely only 20% of those eligible will elect to get vaccinated. With only 30-50% effectiveness, that leaves 6-10% of the population who got the vaccine still vulnerable. That's no way near herd immunity.

40% of people polled said they would not take a vaccine. The vaccines under development will be a 2-step process. One injection followed in two weeks by a second. Since the FDA came under the control of Trump, who's going to have the confidence in any vaccines they green light?

I have no idea why Trump is trying to rush through a vaccine. Non-Trump voters wouldn’t be dumb enough to go near it, and Trump voters are mostly anti-vaxxers so they won’t touch it.

40% of people polled said they would not take a vaccine. The vaccines under development will be a 2-step process. One injection followed in two weeks by a second. Since the FDA came under the control of Trump, who's going to have the confidence in any vaccines they green light?

US is not only one developing a vaccine. We develop two in Germany right now and they look good to go. I cant await they get ready, so this **** ends. I want travel the world again.

How many deaths are those "leading scientists" willing to be responsible for?

US is not only one developing a vaccine. We develop two in Germany right now and they look good to go. I cant await they get ready, so this **** ends. I want travel the world again.

I understand that the scientific community around the world are working to develop the first vaccine. In addition to being a boom to human survival it will be a financial windfall of epic magnitude for the developers and manufacturers of a successful vaccine.

Since you're in Germany, (I have a niece who lives in Germany, she lives with her American husband who plays soccer for one of the teams in Germany,) I am interested in your opinion of the protest march we've all seen on television from London and Berlin as 'anti-coronavirus' protesters stormed the Reichstag building.

What's your opinion on this?

I understand that the scientific community around the world are working to develop the first vaccine. In addition to being a boom to human survival it will be a financial windfall of epic magnitude for the developers and manufacturers of a successful vaccine.

Since you're in Germany, (I have a niece who lives in Germany, she lives with her American husband who plays soccer for one of the teams in Germany,) I am interested in your opinion of the protest march we've all seen on television from London and Berlin as 'anti-coronavirus' protesters stormed the Reichstag building.

What's your opinion on this?

Overblown by media. Some protestors walked up the stairs, police told them to go back and they left.

But i guess that doesnt make a good story.

Overblown by media. Some protestors walked up the stairs, police told them to go back and they left.

But i guess that doesnt make a good story.

Unfortunately, we all live in a world filled with propaganda. It has been that way since the beginning of time, 'fake news' isn't anything new. The problem is that propaganda has substantially more impact now than ever before in history because of social media and political partisanship.

Unfortunately, we all live in a world filled with propaganda. It has been that way since the beginning of time, 'fake news' isn't anything new. The problem is that propaganda has substantially more impact now than ever before in history because of social media and political partisanship.

Many of the big pharma firms are working to develop non-vaccine therapeutics for this virus. Instead of 2 shots/year of a vaccine that you have little confidence in, why not consider taking a pill or two in the morning?

LOL. You guys should listen to yourselves. You would rather let people die than give Trump credit for operation Warp Speed while, at the same time, claiming that Trump has no plan for the virus.

Many of the big pharma firms are working to develop non-vaccine therapeutics for this virus. Instead of 2 shots/year of a vaccine that you have little confidence in, why not consider taking a pill or two in the morning?

I think I'll wait until a few million people have taken the pills or vaccine before I decide whether or not I'll take either.

Back
Top Bottom