• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Covid surging in Europe, falling in Sweden

Simpletruther

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Coronavirus in Europe: Infections surge in France, Germany and Spain - BBC News

Despite masking up, Europe is see a new surge in cases, while cases are falling in Sweden (which never shut down). It’s possible Sweden took the best approach we will not know for a while yet.

As I have said from the beginning, it is possible that a steady controlled spread might turn out to be better than lockdowns.

I think it is still too early to say, this is a new deal thing the modern world has not really experienced. It is a learning experience. What works for one country might not work for another. Rational people should at least consider this. But political loyalties have tainted every topic under the sun.

Sweden may end up with more deaths from Covid but the difference might not be so drastic if other coutries “catch up” to them To a degree. But, on the flip side, they may have saved lives from not locking down and at the end of the day better off.

Has Sweden seceded?

Has Sweden seceded?

Nope. But give it any day now.

And even if all of what the OP said was correct, how does any of that account for a dishonest administration that did not let us take necessary precautions? Americans have the right to determine if “herd immunity” is what we want.

Nope. But give it any day now.

And even if all of what the OP said was correct, how does any of that account for a dishonest administration that did not let us take necessary precautions? Americans have the right to determine if “herd immunity” is what we want.
You were always free to stay in your basement, wash hands, and keep your distance.

You were always free to stay in your basement, wash hands, and keep your distance.

Which is what the country was forced to do when your president lied to us vs prepping us for something completely beatable. He was panicked, so he lied.

Sweden's method was not a "steady controlled spread."

Which is what the country was forced to do when your president lied to us vs prepping us for something completely beatable. He was panicked, so he lied.
Is this you? I mean the picture.

Your posts seem consistent with your appearance.

Back to the subject...

Is there anything in the world virus-wise that is not Trump's fault? Is so, name three. Include Europe.

Is this you? I mean the picture.

Your posts seem consistent with your appearance.

Back to the subject...

Is there anything in the world virus-wise that is not Trump's fault? Is so, name three. Include Europe.

Why do I have to prove to you that Donald Trump hasn’t ****ed things up internationally, I don’t want you to vote for him?

So silly.

What the hell is the relevance of this thread correct or incorrect data. Sweden is a country of 10M population. Whoopdie-ding-dong. There are no lessons coming from Sweden that will help us in the US.

Why do I have to prove to you that Donald Trump hasn’t ****ed things up internationally, I don’t want you to vote for him?

So silly.
I just asked a question. Since it was clear, I can rephrase it. Here we go:

1. In your opinion, is there anything anywhere, virus-wise, that is not Trump's fault?

...and a related question:

2. In your opinion, is there anything anywhere, virus-wise, that is the fault of the Democrats currently in any public office?

Keep in mind that both questions can be answered with either a yes or a no, so I am not asking for a lot.

I just asked a question. Since it was clear, I can rephrase it. Here we go:

1. In your opinion, is there anything anywhere, virus-wise, that is not Trump's fault?

...and a related question:

2. In your opinion, is there anything anywhere, virus-wise, that is the fault of the Democrats currently in any public office?

Keep in mind that both questions can be answered with either a yes or a no, so I am not asking for a lot.

Shrug.

EhuGNIGVkAA9MbL

Over-riding all of the finger pointing and blame-assigning are two facts.

1. The United States of America contains 4.3% of the world's population.

2. About 22% of the Covid-19 assigned deaths have occurred in the United States of America.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

What the hell is the relevance of this thread correct or incorrect data. Sweden is a country of 10M population. Whoopdie-ding-dong. There are no lessons coming from Sweden that will help us in the US.

Proportions are what count, not raw population.

Why would you think population differences mean we can learn something?

Despite masking up, Europe is see a new surge in cases, while cases are falling in Sweden (which never shut down). It’s possible Sweden took the best approach we will not know for a while yet.

As I have said from the beginning, it is possible that a steady controlled spread might turn out to be better than lockdowns.

I think it is still too early to say, this is a new deal thing the modern world has not really experienced. It is a learning experience. What works for one country might not work for another. Rational people should at least consider this. But political loyalties have tainted every topic under the sun.

Sweden may end up with more deaths from Covid but the difference might not be so drastic if other coutries “catch up” to them To a degree. But, on the flip side, they may have saved lives from not locking down and at the end of the day better off.

Sweden is in the top 5 of European countries for COVID deaths. The other four are among the most densely populated areas in Europe, and Sweden is one of the least densely populated countries. This means that not locking down was exactly the wrong decision and it has cost human lives that would otherwise have been saved had they followed the science and taken common sense precautions against a global pandemic like wearing masks and enforcing social distancing.

Over-riding all of the finger pointing and blame-assigning are two facts.

1. The United States of America contains 4.3% of the world's population.

2. About 22% of the Covid-19 assigned deaths have occurred in the United States of America.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

We have no way of knowing how many corona virus deaths there have been globally, or how many cases.

Proportions are what count, not raw population.

Why would you think population differences mean we can learn something?

Proportionality is one factor but only one. You simply cannot take 10M population with little to no population density and draw any conclusions about a path forward for a population of 330M with higher levels of population density. The US features 98 people per square mile and Sweden sits at 63 people per square miles. 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Hence they have plenty of room too spread out. Only 47% of the United States is uninhabited.

Herd Immunity via transmission would be a disaster here and I don't care what Trump's RADIOLOGIST thinks. Dr Atlas is simply an example of Trump's massive unscrupulousness. It's not even ignorance at this point reference the Woodward tapes. Trump is simply massively trigged up in the head a jumble of malignant pathologies. Consumed by self-interest, Trump simply does not care how many Americans die, starve, go broke, loss their jobs and their homes or continue the recent trend of uneducated ignorance. Beginning to make Attila the Hun, Papa Doc and Idi Amin Dada look like saints. MAGA!

Last edited:
Proportionality is one factor but only one. You simply cannot take 10M population with little to no population density and draw any conclusions about a path forward for a population of 330M with higher levels of population density. The US features 98 people per square mile and Sweden sits at 63 people per square miles. 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Hence they have plenty of room too spread out. Only 47% of the United States is uninhabited.

Herd Immunity via transmission would be a disaster here and I don't care what Trump's RADIOLOGIST thinks. Dr Atlas is simply an example of Trump's massive unscrupulousness. It's not even ignorance at this point reference the Woodward tapes. Trump is simply massively trigged up in the head a jumble of malignant pathologies. Consumed by self-interest, Trump simply does not care how many Americans die, starve, go broke, loss their jobs and their homes or continue the recent trend of uneducated ignorance. Beginning to make Attila the Hun, Papa Doc and Idi Amin Dada look like saints. MAGA!

Your own ststs show Sweden’s population is vastly more urban. So if it can work there, it should work even better for a population more spread out, we are sociallyndistscned from the get go by virtue of our spread.

And it may yet turn out our strategy works better thsn much of Europe, as they are experiencing a big new wave, despite being all in for masks, they love masks.

Our overall net death rate is already lower than UK and some others.

Your own ststs show Sweden’s population is vastly more urban. So if it can work there, it should work even better for a population more spread out, we are sociallyndistscned from the get go by virtue of our spread.

And it may yet turn out our strategy works better thsn much of Europe, as they are experiencing a big new wave, despite being all in for masks, they love masks.

Our overall net death rate is already lower than UK and some others.

No it doesn't. Again 47% of the United States is uninhabited. 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Swedes have no need of living on top of each other AND THEY DON'T.

As for UK, they embarked on a herd immunity vis transmission strategy at the start with a population of 60M before Boris figured out what a disastrous mistake that was. That is where UK's ugly numbers come from.

We are already in ugly company for deaths per 100k population. So I simply do not know what point you are trying to make.

Last edited:

Much of this is among young adults flouting recommendations and rules of social distancing. Now that schools and colleges have been forced to reopen by our incompetent Conservative leaders it's going to get a hell of a lot worse. All that we have achieved to date will be wiped out; all the hard work and countless hours of devoted service put in by our medical professionals, will have been nullified.

Much of this is among young adults flouting recommendations and rules of social distancing. Now that schools and colleges have been forced to reopen by our incompetent Conservative leaders it's going to get a hell of a lot worse. All that we have achieved to date will be wiped out; all the hard work and countless hours of devoted service put in by our medical professionals, will have been nullified.

Following Der Leader's whims and wishes.

dude, this is asinine. The total population of Sweden is only the same as NYC which has a much lower rate currently than Sweden and Sweden is a hard country for the virus to take foot because the population is so spread out. (Sweden has about 500 times the land mass NYC does!)

It's just a ridiculous thread.

Not everyone could. trump killed over 100,000 with wrong policies.

No it doesn't. Again 47% of the United States is uninhabited. 97% of Sweden is uninhabited. Swedes have no need of living on top of each other AND THEY DON'T.
Think about it, if more of their land is uninhabited, it means they are living closer together in smaller areas.
As for UK, they embarked on a herd immunity vis transmission strategy at the start with a population of 60M before Boris figured out what a disastrous mistake that was. That is where UK's ugly numbers come from.

We are already in ugly company for deaths per 100k population. So I simply do not know what point you are trying to make.

For now, but again this isn’t over, more countries may end up catching us in second waves.

They getting big surges despite wearing masks over there.

Back
Top Bottom