• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Covid surging in Europe, falling in Sweden

Think about it, if more of their land is uninhabited, it means they are living closer together in smaller areas.

For now, but again this isn’t over, more countries may end up catching us in second waves.

They getting big surges despite wearing masks over there.

No it doesn't. You must have graduated from Trump University.

And when the second wave hits us right in the kisser in the middle of flu season we will be screwed.

dude, this is asinine. The total population of Sweden is only the same as NYC which has a much lower rate currently than Sweden and Sweden is a hard country for the virus to take foot because the population is so spread out. (Sweden has about 500 times the land mass NYC does!)

It's just a ridiculous thread.
According to another poster, 97% of Sweden is uninhabited, probably snow capped mountains. They sre not spread out.

Sweden did better than NY

COVID-19: New York puts Sweden to Shame | Open Mind

According to another poster, 97% of Sweden is uninhabited, probably snow capped mountains. They sre not spread out.

They are spread out. "Another poster" just compared Metro NY city and its 18M population to Sweden and its 10M population or did you just decide to ignore that post.

Coronavirus in Europe: Infections surge in France, Germany and Spain - BBC News

Despite masking up, Europe is see a new surge in cases, while cases are falling in Sweden (which never shut down). It’s possible Sweden took the best approach we will not know for a while yet.

As I have said from the beginning, it is possible that a steady controlled spread might turn out to be better than lockdowns.

I think it is still too early to say, this is a new deal thing the modern world has not really experienced. It is a learning experience. What works for one country might not work for another. Rational people should at least consider this. But political loyalties have tainted every topic under the sun.

Sweden may end up with more deaths from Covid but the difference might not be so drastic if other coutries “catch up” to them To a degree. But, on the flip side, they may have saved lives from not locking down and at the end of the day better off.

The article you post does not mention Sweden at all.

Gee, I didn't know that Sweden had a hub for international travel like Metro NY, coupled with population density and 30x the population. Who would have thunk it. Please give up. You are making no sense and Herd Immunity via Transmission for the US makes no sense.

OMFG

More alternative facts from the cult of alternative facts.

New York got hit harder, not "Sweden did better."

Sweden never had the level of infection NYC did. And NYC got it down so it's less the sparsely populated Sweden.

Trying to compare the density of population, which is the key for Sweden, is asinine.

Dude, your thread is "TRump stupid."

Those advocating for Herd Immunity through vast piles of dead should maybe consider that there is no immunity to this virus. Then what?

Gee, I didn't know that Sweden had a hub for international travel like Metro NY, coupled with population density and 30x the population. Who would have thunk it. Please give up. You are making no sense and Herd Immunity via Transmission for the US makes no sense.

You are mistaken, the percentage of population that is urban on both are about equal. So they have roughly the same population density by that metric.

OMFG

More alternative facts from the cult of alternative facts.

New York got hit harder, not "Sweden did better."

Sweden never had the level of infection NYC did. And NYC got it down so it's less the sparsely populated Sweden.

Trying to compare the density of population, which is the key for Sweden, is asinine.

Dude, your thread is "TRump stupid."

The percentage of urban dwellers is about the same in both, so they sre comparable. Vast uninhabited mountains is Sweden are irrelevant.

The percentage of urban dwellers is about the same in both, so they sre comparable. Vast uninhabited mountains is Sweden are irrelevant.

Urban is a meaningless term without context. Urban says nothing about population density.

Much of Sweden is heavily forested, with 69% of the country being forest and woodland, while farmland constitutes only 8% of land use.

Gee, news to me that you can't populate forested areas if you want to. The most northern and western areas of Sweden are HILLY and mountainous. THATS IT! News to me that you can't build on Hills either. Would do just as well to simply knock down all that housing in the CALIFORNIA HILLS. Should do the same for Oregon. What are those people doing living up there!!!!

Those advocating for Herd Immunity through vast piles of dead should maybe consider that there is no immunity to this virus. Then what?

No immunity and no vaccine. What that means is we go about our lives and take those precautions we deem necessary. Just like every other choice wed make in life.

OK, I get it. You are from the school of TRump, just ****in' lie.

NYC density is 26,403 per square mile!

Sweden's most populated city does not have half that density.

Plus, it is common for people in Sweden to have a second home out of the city.

I can't believe you dragged me into this stupid debate.

Your thread is garbage. Trump is garbage. Trump's legion of Orcs is garbage.

I now need a shower... my own fault.

BTW my typical Trump poster friend, it's only 87% of the Swedes that live in what they call urban areas not 97.

yuck

Not everyone could. trump killed over 100,000 with wrong policies.
Now, finally, I figured it out! Unable to use facts and logic, leftists repel others by posting bull****. Like "Trump killed". Yeah. Sure. Not even "contributed" - just simply "killed". How about at least allegedly?

If you know all that, sue him and call 911.

BTW, I know what hyperbole is and how to spell it, but this is beyond moronic.

By the way, did you notice that the virus really hates the leftists? Just look at the list of states and you will see that the top 7 states with the highest death rates per million are leftist?

Good virus. We need to restore some sanity here.

No immunity and no vaccine. What that means is we go about our lives and take those precautions we deem necessary. Just like every other choice wed make in life.

Isn't that we are doing with the exception of the tRumpets?

Mask, distance, stay out of enclosed large gathering?

Now, finally, I figured it out! Unable to use facts and logic, leftists repel others by posting bull****. Like "Trump killed". Yeah. Sure. Not even "contributed" - just simply "killed". How about at least allegedly?

If you know all that, sue him and call 911.

BTW, I know what hyperbole is and how to spell it, but this is beyond moronic.

By the way, did you notice that the virus really hates the leftists? Just look at the list of states and you will see that the top 7 states with the highest death rates per million are leftist?

Good virus. We need to restore some sanity here.

what a sad post... deplorable

up is down you say?

Black is whit. Very Trumpian.

To put a finer point to it, Sweden's largest city with the highest population density is Stockholm which has about 1.6M people and a population density of 13,000 people per square mile. NY has 26,000 people per square mile. Adjacent to NY is the highly dense northern NJ. Sweden has nothing to match NY for population density and there are other US cities that simply feature much higher levels of population density than anywhere in Sweden.

OK, I get it. You are from the school of TRump, just ****in' lie.

NYC density is 26,403 per square mile!

Sweden's most populated city does not have half that density.

Plus, it is common for people in Sweden to have a second home out of the city.

I can't believe you dragged me into this stupid debate.

Your thread is garbage. Trump is garbage. Trump's legion of Orcs is garbage.

I now need a shower... my own fault.

BTW my typical Trump poster friend, it's only 87% of the Swedes that live in what they call urban areas not 97.

yuck

It’s a fact their percent of urban dwellers are about the same. So, yea. I am correct there. On a geographical basis sure, NY has a much higher density.

But again, it is whether people are living closer together that is relevant, which is a factor of % of urban dwellers. They are close on that metric.

I am trying my best to be civil, here. Can you put in little effort? If you don’t want to discuss with me you could just scroll on.

What the hell is the relevance of this thread correct or incorrect data. Sweden is a country of 10M population. Whoopdie-ding-dong. There are no lessons coming from Sweden that will help us in the US.

^^ Evidenced-based science denier.

It’s a fact their percent of urban dwellers are about the same. So, yea. I am correct there. On a geographical basis sure, NY has a much higher density.

But again, it is whether people are living closer together that is relevant, which is a factor of % of urban dwellers. They are close on that metric.

I am trying my best to be civil, here. Can you put in little effort? If you don’t want to discuss with me you could just scroll on.

You are right, I should not become infuriated with all the lies and twisting... at this point the entire country should be numb to it.

Go ahead, you can have the last word, I know you need it.

Comparing Sweden's density to NYC is bonkers and NYC still has done a much better job of combating the virus.

But again, it is whether people are living closer together that is relevant, which is a factor of % of urban dwellers. They sre close on that metric.

% of urban dwellers has nothing to do with anything. Urban means Urban.
Definition of urban
: of, relating to, characteristic of, or constituting a city

See anything about population density in there?

Seattle has 8,000 people per square mile. Is Seattle an urban center or is it not?

Nashville only has 1,400 people per square mile. Is Nashville an urban center or is it not?

What the hell is the relevance of this thread correct or incorrect data. Sweden is a country of 10M population. Whoopdie-ding-dong. There are no lessons coming from Sweden that will help us in the US.

It's just so stupid to compare Sweden to teh USA there are no words.....The age of TRump. All bull****.

^^ Evidenced-based science denier.

If you read the entire thread you would see posts that simply and utterly destroy any statistical argument that you can compare Sweden to the US in population or population density. I actually did not think the argument would have to be made because it should be so obvious. WHO KNEW!

% of urban dwellers has nothing to do with anything. Urban means Urban.
Definition of urban
: of, relating to, characteristic of, or constituting a city

See anything about population density in there?

Seattle has 8,000 people per square mile. Is Seattle an urban center or is it not?

Nashville only has 1,400 people per square mile. Is Nashville an urban center or is it not?

Fair enough, they have higher density. Tht was a negative factor. But still, they did shutdowns and strict stuff, but still had s vastly worse outcome than Sweden which did not.

Back
Top Bottom