• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Covid Shaming - Is This the Canada I Thought I Knew and Loved?

The Manatee is a satirical publication. Obviously they're taking a shot at the real Cortland Cronk. As for the real Cortland I don't believe a word of his fable.

That was my one shot at investigative journalism and I blew it.

Testing, vaccinating, and getting people healthy again is vastly more important than whether someone uses MEEN WERDZ against someone who tests positive for COVID.

However, there is a grain of truth here. Just as we shouldn't shame people for carrying the coronavirus, we shouldn't shame those with STIs. It is also perfectly reasonable for those without the coronavirus/STIs that people who have them act in a way that minimizes the risk of transmission and inform those who might get it from them.
I think you misunderstood the context, NO ONE is shaming people carrying the coronavirus, we are shaming the anti-vaxxers, the anti-maskers, the anti-social distancingers.
quote: with locals calling for the heads of not just politicians and doctors breaking the rules but their own family members and neighbors.
we have had cases of people traveling to Florida and then wanting to come back home, these people JUST DON'T GET IT - we have a pandemic, stay home.

I think you misunderstood the context, NO ONE is shaming people carrying the coronavirus, we are shaming the anti-vaxxers, the anti-maskers, the anti-social distancingers.
quote: with locals calling for the heads of not just politicians and doctors breaking the rules but their own family members and neighbors.
we have had cases of people traveling to Florida and then wanting to come back home, these people JUST DON'T GET IT - we have a pandemic, stay home.

You obviously didn't read the OP. Go back and reread it until you finally learn what it says.

You obviously didn't read the OP. Go back and reread it until you finally learn what it says.
I obviously did read the article:

“It’s not getting COVID — it’s breaking the rules that worries us,” said Randy Boyagoda, a novelist and English professor at the University of Toronto, noting that a Canadian foundational motto is “peace, order and good government.”
“What’s the key point? It’s order,” he said. “For order to be sustained, we have to follow the rules. Canadians are a distinctly rule-focused and rule-following people.”

“For many people, the scorn and contempt and disapproval of their neighbors will be at least as effective as a fine,” said Arthur Schafer, founding director of the Center for Professional and Applied Ethics at the University of Manitoba.

Schafer believes people who are fined for breaking the rules should be publicly named, too.

Next time you want to take a snarky swipe at me, be sure YOU are right. Just a suggestion.

I can't believe this is happening in 21st Century Canada, Positive Coronavirus Test? Canadians Worry Their Neighbors Will Find Out. This is the equivalent of 18th Century tarring and feathering, or 19th Century riding a person out of town on a rail. Why? Excerpts:

Is this real? Is this the Canada I thought I knew, albeit as an American from a distance? Gordon Sinclair had similar questions about the U.S.'s adventures in self-destruction in 1973 ,Gordon Sinclair, The Americans,originally written and delivered via radio broadcast 5 June 1973 on station CFRB, Toronto.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/...us-public-shaming.html?searchResultPosition=1

JBG:

Fear and ignorance are almost always at the root of such prejudice. It really is that simple, but devilishly difficult to combat.

Cheers, be well and remain "positive".
Evilroddy.

Back
Top Bottom