• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

COVID crashes into NFL

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Titans, Vikings suspend in-person activities after multiple Titans players, personnel test positive for COVID-19 (NFL.com). This may be the first shoe, but it demonstrates that the NFL is taking the risk seriously. Frankly, it's the model for how businesses, States and citizens should approach this: Keep doing your thing, but respond responsibly when there is an outbreak.

How DARE those fascists interfere with my constitutional rights to watch football or get tattooed ⁉

[The above has been specifically and officially approved and endorsed by "Devoted Online Lovers of Trump" Inc. (a non-partisan, independent, research and analysis organization exempt from federal taxation that is dedicated to bringing you the true truth and not the false truth that anyone who doesn't believe 100% of what Donald Trump says tries to tell you the so-called "facts" are), "Pro-Life United Gun Enthusiasts and Manufacturers for Jesus", and “"TheFirst Amendment Rights Trust’ Foundation”.]

Titans, Vikings suspend in-person activities after multiple Titans players, personnel test positive for COVID-19 (NFL.com). This may be the first shoe, but it demonstrates that the NFL is taking the risk seriously. Frankly, it's the model for how businesses, States and citizens should approach this: Keep doing your thing, but respond responsibly when there is an outbreak.
So using the NFL as a model includes not allowing customers into your place of business? Just wear a mask.

So using the NFL as a model includes not allowing customers into your place of business? Just wear a mask.
Some stadia are allowing people in, based upon the infection rate in the area, and on a limited basis. I went to the bakery this morning to get a dozen cookies. Only two in the lobby at a time, everyone masked, socially distanced, and heavy sanitation. The issue is really how responsible the customers are going to be. Bars, of course, are the nadir of responsibility. Sports attendees are right there.

Some stadia are allowing people in, based upon the infection rate in the area, and on a limited basis. I went to the bakery this morning to get a dozen cookies. Only two in the lobby at a time, everyone masked, socially distanced, and heavy sanitation. The issue is really how responsible the customers are going to be. Bars, of course, are the nadir of responsibility. Sports attendees are right there.
I don't disagree with you, but I'd suggest we are going to see a massive amount of business closings if we continue to limit customers (I don't think the prices of supplies or rent is going to go down much). It's long past time for Americans to act on other Americans behalf and actually do the work that is required to gain the upper hand until a vaccination program has been in place for a while (wear a mask, wash your hands, safely distance, avoid indoor crowds). It's not rocket science.

I don't disagree with you, but I'd suggest we are going to see a massive amount of business closings if we continue to limit customers (I don't think the prices of supplies or rent is going to go down much). It's long past time for Americans to act on other Americans behalf and actually do the work that is required to gain the upper hand until a vaccination program has been in place for a while (wear a mask, wash your hands, safely distance, avoid indoor crowds). It's not rocket science.

You do realize, that not allowing people to watch football games in person is going to have horrendously adverse financial impacts on Americas High Schools, Colleges, and Universities - don't you?

I bet the coaches start wearing their masks.

You do realize, that not allowing people to watch football games in person is going to have horrendously adverse financial impacts on Americas High Schools, Colleges, and Universities - don't you?
? Sports support sports, not the institutions they represent.

I think the season will be over by november.

I think the season will be over by november.

It needs to be over before 8 games are played so I can get my money back from my horrible fantasy football teams.

It's not gonna happen. It's still gonna be a full season.

It needs to be over before 8 games are played so I can get my money back from my horrible fantasy football teams.

It's not gonna happen. It's still gonna be a full season.
I see you pick your football teams like you pick your presidents, losers, and now you want your money back for your poor choices.

I see you pick your football teams like you pick your presidents, losers, and now you want your money back for your poor choices.

I won two out of three league championships last year. This year I have been ravaged by injury.

You probably think my avatar is Ivanka. You need to pay attention.

I won two out of three league championships last year. This year I have been ravaged by injury.

You probably think my avatar is Ivanka. You need to pay attention.
I care not what picture you choose to use. I do pay attention, to your words.

I care not what picture you choose to use. I do pay attention, to your words.

Who do you think I'm voting for based on my words.

You, obviously, aren't aware of the economics of sports at educational institutions.
Care to explain how sports money funds
You, obviously, aren't aware of the economics of sports at educational institutions.
If you'd care to argue that 10% of athletic revenue makes institutions what they are, have at it.

I haven't seen any games yet where fans are allowed in. They either pump in "fan noise" or put up cardboard cutouts (which is weirder than the fan noise).

That doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with you - I am not a "watch 4 games at once" kind of person. :giggle:

Saving lives is worth it. Killing people so that beer drinking hillbillies can watch grown men bump into each other is dumb, even if it is profitable.

Saving lives is worth it. Killing people so that beer drinking hillbillies can watch grown men bump into each other is dumb, even if it is profitable.

The members of "Claque Trump" will disagree with you MOST strenuously.

How about letting each individual decide for himself how much risk he is willing to accept? I realize that self-determination is a foreign concept to the left, but use your imagination.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

I have an interesting perspective on this because I have a dear friend who is a landlord, and another that is enforcing the State's non-eviction policy in court. My son works for a mom-and-pop shop that is recovering. So, I see this from a variety of perspectives: My landlord friend has delayed 3 months rent for a tap room owner that operates in one of his properties, and has similarly given forbearance to other renters, but this is his retirement income, so he's hurting. The owner and lessor of my neighbor has 10 houses that they rent, but all of their renters are making rent. My friend who is enforcing the non-eviction law has seen both sides of the situation, with renters who are using it as an opportunity to pay other expenses, owners who can't make mortgage payments on houses they are renting, and people who are trying to evict tenants for non-payment, but are really just looking for any opportunity to jack up rents by terminating leases. It's a very mixed bag. My son's employer has weathered the downturn and reopened because most of their business is military in nature, and that has not stopped. They own the building, but have to service the mortgage - but the renter of the other half of the building closed up shop, so they are having cash flow issues.

All of that is to say that the reverberations of the downturn are felt widely. In my view, we should have had a short shutdown and reset, but this half-assed response by the President has screwed everyone. Businesses can't reopen because the disease is still spreading. If we had ALL taken it seriously, and COLLECTIVELY been responsible, this could have been contained. There are still too many deniers out there to make that happen.

The members of "Claque Trump" will disagree with you MOST strenuously.
You were the one arguing about "horrendous" financial impacts. As if money should matter over people's lives. You and Jeffchap seem to be on the same side.

Edit: it was probably sarcasm and I bit. Oops.

Last edited:
How about letting each individual decide for himself how much risk he is willing to accept? I realize that self-determination is a foreign concept to the left, but use your imagination.
This is the kind of half-considered response that is the problem, Jeff. It is not individuals protecting themselves that is the problem. If it were, I would agree they can just be stupid. It is that their irresponsibility is affecting hundreds of thousands of others. As my wife would say, "It's not all about you, princess." It's about who all those princesses interact with.

I have an interesting perspective on this because I have a dear friend who is a landlord, and another that is enforcing the State's non-eviction policy in court. My son works for a mom-and-pop shop that is recovering. So, I see this from a variety of perspectives: My landlord friend has delayed 3 months rent for a tap room owner that operates in one of his properties, and has similarly given forbearance to other renters, but this is his retirement income, so he's hurting. The owner and lessor of my neighbor has 10 houses that they rent, but all of their renters are making rent. My friend who is enforcing the non-eviction law has seen both sides of the situation, with renters who are using it as an opportunity to pay other expenses, owners who can't make mortgage payments on houses they are renting, and people who are trying to evict tenants for non-payment, but are really just looking for any opportunity to jack up rents by terminating leases. It's a very mixed bag. My son's employer has weathered the downturn and reopened because most of their business is military in nature, and that has not stopped. They own the building, but have to service the mortgage - but the renter of the other half of the building closed up shop, so they are having cash flow issues.

All of that is to say that the reverberations of the downturn are felt widely. In my view, we should have had a short shutdown and reset, but this half-assed response by the President has screwed everyone. Businesses can't reopen because the disease is still spreading. If we had ALL taken it seriously, and COLLECTIVELY been responsible, this could have been contained. There are still too many deniers out there to make that happen.
Couldn't agree more...

How about letting each individual decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to allow you to be to them?

I realize that "concern for the health and safety of others" is NOT on the the latest version of the currently operative, officially sanctioned, "Team Trump" approved, White House issued, "List Of Approved Behaviours", but use your imagination.

Back
Top Bottom