• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

COVID-19: Tannic acid targets key stages in the fight against SARS-CoV-2 infection

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

COVID-19: Tannic acid targets key stages in the fight against SARS-CoV-2 infection​

Natural polyphenol seems to inhibit the activity of three important molecular pathways involved in the SARS-CoV-2 infection​

Professor Charles Ramassamy and his postdoctoral researcher Mohamed Haddad at Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS), in collaboration with scientists from Université de Montréal, McGill University, and Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), believe that tannic acid plays a role in inhibiting three important molecular pathways involved in the SARS-CoV-2 infection. Their work was published recently in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences (IJMS).

Using a multidisciplinary approach, the teams showed that tannic acid inhibits the viral protein (RBD) of the British variant of SARS-CoV-2 from binding to its biological target, the ACE2 receptor. This receptor, which is found on the surface of many cells in the body, allows the virus to latch on and infect them. "Tannic acid binds to the RBD protein and prevents it from binding to the ACE2 receptor," said Professor Ramassamy. He explained that in blocking the viral protein, tannic acid does not alter the physiological functions of ACE2 receptors, which have physiological functions in the body's respiratory, cardiovascular, and renal systems, among others.
=======================================================================
I did a lot of research into COVID inhibitors & found that several polyphenolic chemicals found in plants work in this role. A polyphenolic is an aromatic molecule with more than one phenolic hydroxyl group.

What is advertised on Amazon as lab-grade tannic acid is caveat emptor. This post is not an ad for this stuff.

LOL, I was thinking that perhaps my tea consumption was my magic bullet for avoiding covid.

I actually heard that smoking weed makes you less susceptible to catching COVID.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but I'm not gonna take any chances!

giphy.gif

COVID-19: Tannic acid targets key stages in the fight against SARS-CoV-2 infection​

Natural polyphenol seems to inhibit the activity of three important molecular pathways involved in the SARS-CoV-2 infection​

Professor Charles Ramassamy and his postdoctoral researcher Mohamed Haddad at Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS), in collaboration with scientists from Université de Montréal, McGill University, and Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), believe that tannic acid plays a role in inhibiting three important molecular pathways involved in the SARS-CoV-2 infection. Their work was published recently in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences (IJMS).

Using a multidisciplinary approach, the teams showed that tannic acid inhibits the viral protein (RBD) of the British variant of SARS-CoV-2 from binding to its biological target, the ACE2 receptor. This receptor, which is found on the surface of many cells in the body, allows the virus to latch on and infect them. "Tannic acid binds to the RBD protein and prevents it from binding to the ACE2 receptor," said Professor Ramassamy. He explained that in blocking the viral protein, tannic acid does not alter the physiological functions of ACE2 receptors, which have physiological functions in the body's respiratory, cardiovascular, and renal systems, among others.
I did a lot of research into COVID inhibitors & found that several polyphenolic chemicals found in plants work in this role. A polyphenolic is an aromatic molecule with more than one phenolic hydroxyl group.

What is advertised on Amazon as lab-grade tannic acid is caveat emptor. This post is not an ad for this stuff.
Good information.
Despite living in a densely populated metropolitan area, I've managed to keep COVID 19 at bay for more than 2 years. I have been spraying my face mask with a homemade mixture of isopropanol and essential oils, containing polyphenolic chemicals with strong antiviral properties. I usually start with a base of Tea Tree oil, but sometimes Eucalyptus, and with a few added essential oils to improve the fragrance. I keep the 2oz. spray bottle in my pocket whenever I leave the house, mostly alcohol with only 12-15 drops of added essential oils. Besides being a mask freshener, it also serves as a hand sanitizer.

Good information.
Despite living in a densely populated metropolitan area, I've managed to keep COVID 19 at bay for more than 2 years. I have been spraying my face mask with a homemade mixture of isopropanol and essential oils, containing polyphenolic chemicals with strong antiviral properties. I usually start with a base of Tea Tree oil, but sometimes Eucalyptus, and with a few added essential oils to improve the fragrance. I keep the 2oz. spray bottle in my pocket whenever I leave the house, mostly alcohol with only 12-15 drops of added essential oils. Besides being a mask freshener, it also serves as a hand sanitizer.
Some of the other polyphenolics that have shown anti-COVID activity:

Resveratrol
Crocin
Baicalin
Ecklomia cava extract (50% polyphenols + phototannin.

All from Amazon. Bought as post-infection therapy but survived with 3 Pfizer jabs.

Maybe holding onto that '78 bottle of Cab, a highly tannic year, wasn't such a bad idea.

Link to peer-reviewed paper please?

Everclear 190 !!
I got all set up to make my own essential oils from my garden a while back, but never actually followed through. Perhaps this is the reminder I need...

I have, however, made all sorts of cocktail flavorings with various plants and everclear.

Priorities.

I'm not kidding, either. In the early days of the pandemic, it was hard to find Isopropanol on the shelves. But I never had a problem buying Everclear 190.
Highly toxic & a major fire hazard. Also not allowed in some states.

Highly toxic & a major fire hazard. Also not allowed in some states.
?? Why would it be more toxic than any other Ethyl alcohol? And almost all distilled spirits are flammable, so . . . . ??

It sure makes short work of spiking the holiday punch bowl. :)

It appears that some of you did not go to a college where grain "punch" in a giant bin was a party staple.

Drink tea\

Above 190 it dissipates.
It's still rocket fuel. The Nazi V2 IRBM burned 70% ethanol/water, so a lot of energy was lost to launch that water.

Above 190 it dissipates.
About 40 years ago I worked in a mechanical inspection lab in the orthopedic implant industry. We had a coordinate measuring machine with granite ways above which a cantilevered arm floated on a cushion of air. Every day we wiped them down with 200 proof - 100% ethanol - because it was the only thing that would leave absolutely no residue. It wasn't generally available to the public, but we could buy it from a laboratory supply house. I found it amusing that it still contained the exact same type of tax stamp on the cap that any bottle of liquor had.

Needless to say, as small portion would always find it's way into the holiday punch, albeit quite diluted.

It's still rocket fuel. The Nazi V2 IRBM burned 70% ethanol/water, so a lot of energy was lost to launch that water.
3 shots bring on alcohol poisoning. Don't light up around it. 14 states have made Everclear 190 illegal. Tasteless, unless you call the burning sensation from swallowing a shot "taste".

About 40 years ago I worked in a mechanical inspection lab in the orthopedic implant industry. We had a coordinate measuring machine with granite ways above which a cantilevered arm floated on a cushion of air. Every day we wiped them down with 200 proof - 100% ethanol - because it was the only thing that would leave absolutely no residue. It wasn't generally available to the public, but we could buy it from a laboratory supply house. I found it amusing that it still contained the exact same type of tax stamp on the cap that any bottle of liquor had.

Needless to say, as small portion would always find it's way into the holiday punch, albeit quite diluted.

You can get the 200 stuff (99.9% food grade Ethyl alcohol) online a lot cheaper than Everclear 190.

Back
Top Bottom