• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

COVID-19 Is Now America’s Leading Cause of Death

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
COVID-19 surpassed heart disease as the leading cause of death in the United States this week, according to a report released Friday by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

An average of 1,660 people died of COVID in the US each day in the past week, according to IHME. As Dr. Sanjay Gupta explained on CNN, this exceeded the average number of Americans (10,000 to 11,000) who die each week of cardiac issues. In all, more than 11,600 died from COVID in the past seven days.

A horrendous milestone, my fellow Americans.

i am so ready for this bullshit to be in the rearview.
It is disgusting that a large portion of this country could not do a few simple things consistently to slow this down. If not to save lives, you think they would do something to protect the economy.

We are already sending out "survivors" for lung transplants. Screw this disease and the bat it flew in on.

It is disgusting that a large portion of this country could not do a few simple things consistently to slow this down. If not to save lives, you think they would do something to protect the economy.

We are already sending out "survivors" for lung transplants. Screw this disease and the bat it flew in on.

The worst part of what we are seeing is that much of the illness and death was preventable and still is. The mitigations are easy and not costly. This was not hard and yet we still failed miserably.

some have done a lot. some have done something. some have done worse than nothing.

i doubt it. however, it wouldn't be as bad as it is, IMO.

New Zealand did it right. A hard lockdown that was lifted when the data said to lift it, closed borders with managed quarantine for anyone who has to cross, contact tracing, etc.

Now they're living a normal life aside from the borders being closed.

The worst part of what we are seeing is that much of the illness and death was preventable and still is. The mitigations are easy and not costly. This was not hard and yet we still failed miserably.
The really sad part is that if we had been consistent about masks and distancing - meaning no crowds, especially indoors - we could have knocked this down before Memorial day.

This would also have meant a National testing strategy in place. What we got was states bidding against each other for testing material. Testing needed to be easy to obtain with fast results. That is how once the initial measures brought the numbers down.....that they could stop hot spots from occurring. But waiting for many days for results? That is an exponential nightmare.

Now, almost 9 months into it, people are whining about long lasting restrictions....when it was well within their power to slow the spread. But we had to work together.....and POTUS made sure he politicized the crap out of it. My guess is that his politicization of this pandemic is why is lost the election.

New Zealand did it right. A hard lockdown that was lifted when the data said to lift it, closed borders with managed quarantine for anyone who has to cross, contact tracing, etc.

the temporary solution that i see is significant fines for the militant maskless and the stores that cater to them.

A horrendous milestone, my fellow Americans.
I just recently lost two dear friends, husband and wife. They died within 4 days of each other. Perhaps it was a blessing, as they both had Alzheimer's. Talking to her sister on the phone, hearing the grief in her voice, knowing that she could have had more years together, it just about broke my heart.

Aside from being isolated from the rest of the world. When will they allow their borders to open? Will they mandate vaccines?

I just recently lost two dear friends, husband and wife. They died within 4 days of each other. Perhaps it was a blessing, as they both had Alzheimer's. Talking to her sister on the phone, hearing the grief in her voice, knowing that she could have had more years together, it just about broke my heart.

Breaking news -- people die.

The really sad part is that if we had been consistent about masks and distancing - meaning no crowds, especially indoors - we could have knocked this down before Memorial day.

This would also have meant a National testing strategy in place. What we got was states bidding against each other for testing material. Testing needed to be easy to obtain with fast results. That is how once the initial measures brought the numbers down.....that they could stop hot spots from occurring. But waiting for many days for results? That is an exponential nightmare.

Now, almost 9 months into it, people are whining about long lasting restrictions....when it was well within their power to slow the spread. But we had to work together.....and POTUS made sure he politicized the crap out of it. My guess is that his politicization of this pandemic is why is lost the election.

Trump would have easily won the election if he just acted like a leader. He's literally never shown any empathy for those who have become ill or passed away. He needs to be held accountable for what he has done. I suppose voting him out of office is one way. He deserves far worse.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lovebug.

We've had four deaths back in the first wave in March & April, but none were family or particularity close friends, though one was a professional that in the course of providing long-term professional services for us had become a trusted friend & advisor. Their deaths - all occurring within a week or so - struck us with fear, and we went into full lock-down. It worked, because we've all remained safe & healthy even as we eventually emerged in careful fashion. Of course now, we're locking down a fair amount again, but we're much calmer and confident in our actions & outcomes.

Trump would have easily won the election if he just acted like a leader. He's literally never shown any empathy for those who have become ill or passed away. He needs to be held accountable for what he has done. I suppose voting him out of office is one way. He deserves far worse.

Since he is likely to spend his after office time undermining elections and democracy in general.....I will just hope for him to get a flurry of subpoenas and let him keep Rudy at his side to keep him otherwise engaged. ;)

Aside from being isolated from the rest of the world. When will they allow their borders to open? Will they mandate vaccines?

You'll have to ask Jacinda Ardern what her future plans are.

Thing is, it's too late for us to do the same thing they did, because we now have too many cases. Contact tracing is impossible at this point, among other problems. We now have two options: Mass vaccination, or this goes on for years.

We didn't do the proper thing because Trump literally could not look past the very next headline. If he'd handled this properly, he'd be the next FDR. He would have taken 70% of the popular vote, for that matter. This election would have been a blowout.

But he simply wasn't up to the task.

Back
Top Bottom