• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

COVID-19 Disinformation in one graph

Interesting

One has to wonder who misinformed the populace so badly...

Maybe nobody?

Maybe the public is and has always been a den of dolts? Yes it has.

This is why they need government to lead them. They are too ****in stupid to take care of themselves.

I love the really stupid ones who claim they are so smart that they don't need government to decide for them./

They are the dumbest of the dumb.

I saw a poll the other day that said a bare majority of Americans think the U.S.--which last year experienced 6.9% GDP growth, 6.4 million job growth, and is essentially at full employment--is in a recession.

Perception and reality have never been further apart in this country.

Maybe nobody?

This is why they need government to lead them. They are too ****in stupid to take care of themselves.

I love the really stupid ones who claim they are so smart that they don't need government to decide for them./

I think the dumbest are the ones that think they're smarter than the scientists and need to review all the facts on COVID and the vaccine for themselves, and then decide.

Maybe nobody?

A "den of dolts" would generally believe what they are told.

I would argue that the media's insistence on making the exception the rule in COVID-19 deaths left a lot of people with the impression that the death of anyone under 25 years old is common for political purposes, rather than extremely rare.

The response to COVID should have ALWAYS targeted those 65 and older while leaving the rest to live their lives. The group overwhelmingly impacted have the least connection to the workforce... and yet we rolled out a one size fits all approach (well, except for elites who never followed the rules) that needlessly tanked the American economy.

View attachment 67377828

One has to wonder who misinformed the populace so badly...

And here's another way to look at misconceptions about Covid, particularly during the last surge:

Cases/100k 12/15Cases/100k 2/28Cases/100k Omicron Surge
PA 14512215367024
TX15126225877461
IN17393249807587
WA10457187008243
NY (excl NYC)15178237968618
US15362240588696
IL15163239218758
FL 17508270549546
NJ14817244039586
CA13064226979633
HI61351627710142
NYC144372713012693

(raw data from select states from https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases)

I think the dumbest are the ones that think they're smarter than the scientists and need to review all the facts on COVID and the vaccine for themselves, and then decide.

Tell me, what "science" changed from January to today that has lead to waves of ending mask mandates at the state and federal level? Why is the SOTU maskless, and DC schools still masked? Again, look at the facts vs perception in the OP.

And here's another way to look at misconceptions about Covid, particularly during the last surge:

Cases/100k 12/15Cases/100k 2/28Cases/100k Omicron Surge
PA14512215367024
TX15126225877461
IN17393249807587
WA10457187008243
NY (excl NYC)15178237968618
US15362240588696
IL15163239218758
FL17508270549546
NJ14817244039586
CA13064226979633
HI61351627710142
NYC144372713012693

(raw data from select states from https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases)

What is it you are trying to show here?

These are among the ones I spoke to. The dumbest of the dumb.

What is it you are trying to show here?

I'm not "trying" to show anything. I'm actually showing the number of new confirmed cases that happened between December 1, 2021 and February 28, 2022 (i.e., during the Omicron surge) in a variety of states with a various conditions and approaches to dealing with the pandemic. Take from it what you will.

Tell me, what "science" changed from January to today that has lead to waves of ending mask mandates at the state and federal level? Why is the SOTU maskless, and DC schools still masked? Again, look at the facts vs perception in the OP.

I would imagine that might have something to do with vaccines. The youngest schoolchildren still cannot get vaccinated, I didn't see any 5 and under at the SOTU and if there was they should have been wearing masks. Sounds like the parents in that district favor masking at this time.

Occam's razor suggests that what can be chalked up to ignorance is likely to simply be ignorance and not some weird conspiracy.
Would have to add to that Occam's razor list the obvious and consistent incompetence of government agencies.

I would imagine that might have something to do with vaccines. The youngest schoolchildren still cannot get vaccinated, I didn't see any 5 and under at the SOTU and if there was they should have been wearing masks. Sounds like the parents in that district favor masking at this time.
Given the rate of infection, survival rate, etc. how does one justify, using data, vaccine mandates for those younger than 18? Younger than 30?

Would have to add to that Occam's razor list the obvious and consistent incompetence of government agencies.
Occam’s razor suggest there that COVID was a complicated topic and it’s a large country, with a federalized government, constantly evolving science, and with many different data points, making “getting it just right” a thing that nobody probably could have accomplished.m perfectly.

Occam’s razor suggest there that COVID was a complicated topic and it’s a large country, with a federalized government, constantly evolving science, and with many different data points, making “getting it just right” a thing that nobody probably could have accomplished.m perfectly.
That's a lot more complicated an explanation than the already established track record of incompetent government agencies.
The CDC’s incompetence is not being able to quickly and accurately summarize and provide the data they are collecting.
  • The pediatrics academy has repeatedly asked the C.D.C. for an estimate on the contagiousness of a person infected with the coronavirus five days after symptoms begin — but Dr. Maldonado finally got the answer from an article in The New York Times in December.
  • “They’ve known this for over a year and a half, right, and they haven’t told us,” she said. “I mean, you can’t find out anything from them.”
The C.D.C. Isn’t Publishing Large Portions of the Covid Data It Collects
The agency has withheld critical data on boosters, hospitalizations and, until recently, wastewater analyses.​
By Apoorva Mandavilli, Feb. 20, 2022​

That's a lot more complicated an explanation than the already established track record of incompetent government agencies.
The CDC’s incompetence is not being able to quickly and accurately summarize and provide the data they are collecting.
  • The pediatrics academy has repeatedly asked the C.D.C. for an estimate on the contagiousness of a person infected with the coronavirus five days after symptoms begin — but Dr. Maldonado finally got the answer from an article in The New York Times in December.
  • “They’ve known this for over a year and a half, right, and they haven’t told us,” she said. “I mean, you can’t find out anything from them.”
The C.D.C. Isn’t Publishing Large Portions of the Covid Data It Collects
The agency has withheld critical data on boosters, hospitalizations and, until recently, wastewater analyses.​
By Apoorva Mandavilli, Feb. 20, 2022​
Yup and I assume you think there must be malfeasance in data that you dislike

Yup and I assume you think there must be malfeasance in data that you dislike
I have no like or dislike of data. I may raise questions as to how it was collected and it's accuracy, but those far fair questions to raise.

I have dislike of incompetence in excessively expensive government. The US electorate should get what they pay for, and the government historically and typically, falls far short of those expectations.

Why are you diverting away from the OP? Data you dislike?

Given the rate of infection, survival rate, etc. how does one justify, using data, vaccine mandates for those younger than 18? Younger than 30?

We still require vaccines for children for many different reasons. I'm no doctor and can only rely on the actual experts to try and explain why that's needed. If you don't care about the elderly, the sick, or the immunocompromised then I can see why you wouldn't want to do simple measures to keep them alive.

Even after vaccines were invented and diseases like measles and chickenpox were no longer common (and not medically dangerous for the average child), the United States continued to mandate school vaccination for different but important reasons.

We vaccinate against chickenpox and measles in part because they can be more deadly for adults, for the immunocompromised and for babies, whose immune systems are still developing. Like Covid.

We vaccinate against mumps, in itself usually a mild disease, because some who get it will suffer serious lasting effects, such as infertility in males who’ve passed puberty and hearing loss. You can draw parallels here with “long Covid,” and we still don’t know about the long-term effects of the coronavirus, which can inflame organs.

I have no like or dislike of data. I may raise questions as to how it was collected and it's accuracy, but those far fair questions to raise.

I have dislike of incompetence in excessively expensive government. The US electorate should get what they pay for, and the government historically and typically, falls far short of those expectations.

Why are you diverting away from the OP? Data you dislike?
Conspiracists always find more questions to ask. Leading questions are the best ones!

Back
Top Bottom