• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cover me!!! I'm going in!! Volunteering for my county election board......

Well it went pretty smoothly.

One poll worker did not show so that left two of us. When contacted the worker informed the secretary that they couldn't work that day. A heads up would have been nice.

Polls opened and the other poll worker was the first one to vote as per procedure so I witnessed her signing in and all that. Was pretty slow at first than a relief worker came in. He arrived just in time as it got really busy within minutes of his showing up.

Things went smoothly for the most part, people were polite and MANY thanked us for manning the polling station. It is a new precinct and we had a few cases of a spouse being on the rolls but the other not, even though they lived in the same residence. No one got hateful and the use of provisional ballots and a change of address form allowed everyone to vote.

A few times a husband would come in to vote and then the wife, commenting that the other was watching the baby now.

Only had a couple of folks that made smarmy comments, which was a lot less than I had expected. Far more were complimentary of us.

Only one person had to be told to leave the room if he wanted to talk on his phone about his cow getting out of a pasture. He came back in afterwards and said that when you have a cow out you have to take the call, it was pointed out the line was short, he was at the end of it and he only had to walk 20 feet to be in the public hall area where he could talk. Hobby ranchers are the worst....

The son of the Inspector came and voted for the first time, nice young man and we chatted for a bit. Has a chance at small college football but after a pretty bad injury to his shoulders and having excellent grades has decided to pursue academic glory and not gridiron.

Had some interesting conversations with the other poll workers.

Closed the polls at the correct time and pretty much packed everything away and was on the road home in 45 minutes.

I will probably work as Clerk or Judge on the next elections, maybe after a number of sessions I may go for Inspector or PVO...that requires one on one training at headquarters.
Great news! Sounds like a good day was had by all. Thank goodness the smarmy was kept to a minimum. Having lived on a dairy farm I would have laughed that dude out of the room. If a cow is out there is absolutely nothing you taking "the call" is going to do to put the cow back in. He just should have acknowledged the call then left to go wrangle the cow before it ran into traffic. LOL

It is nice when there is enough time to get to know your fellow poll workers and even a little from the people coming in to vote.

We get the one parent in to vote while the other is home with the baby, we even get it where one comes in to vote while the other stays out in the car with the kiddos, then they switch.

But I love seeing families come in to vote, just absolutely love it, the babies in carriers or stroller are always so cute and the little toddler ones on up are getting to see their parents be excellent role models and they are having the importance of voting impressed upon them at a young age!

We have had a lot of the same problem with our 60 new precincts with husband and wife not showing up in the e-pollbooks as being in the same precinct even though they live in the same house. I can't remember anyone getting upset about it, flummoxed, yeah, but not angry. Have even had that come up with parents and their teenage kids. Luckily our same day registration forms and e-pollbooks keep anyone from having to use a "provisional" ballot. We can get them "fixed" in real time so they can vote a regular ballot.

Sounds like you are well on your way to making a very important positive contribution to our American Political System!

Well I worked my second election this past week.

Two precincts set up in a large church fellowship hall.

The only thing being voted was a city councilman position, less than 5% turnout in both precincts. This made for a long, dull day.

One of the pole workers on the other side was a bit preachy but only when there were no voters present.

We had a friendly rivalry about which precinct would have the most voters, they one by about 10 votes...Between the two we had less than 160 votes cast.

We are supposed to get a pay raise next election, doubling our fees. Everyone get the same pay, which I don't think is fair to the Inspectors as they have to pick up and return the tabulation machines and are also expected to be the most knowledgeable of the workers.

I've done it. Low pay, long hours, and a wonderful feeling of civic engagement when the day is done. Every person in America should be required to work one day at the polls imo.
I think 15 years active duty in the Air Force, I have done my part serving.

Kudos for stepping up, I was not aware these where paying positions.

Neither did I until I turned my paperwork in. In this case the county paid $600 in direct labor costs to gather about 160 votes. Not real cost effective.

Well I worked my second election this past week.

Two precincts set up in a large church fellowship hall.

The only thing being voted was a city councilman position, less than 5% turnout in both precincts. This made for a long, dull day.

One of the pole workers on the other side was a bit preachy but only when there were no voters present.

We had a friendly rivalry about which precinct would have the most voters, they one by about 10 votes...Between the two we had less than 160 votes cast.

We are supposed to get a pay raise next election, doubling our fees. Everyone get the same pay, which I don't think is fair to the Inspectors as they have to pick up and return the tabulation machines and are also expected to be the most knowledgeable of the workers.

Yeah, always take a book to read or such, just in case it gets slow.

The dual precincts I have worked as a Chief Judge here in Idaho has all the same crew and work the same tables so there is no rivalry.

Worst Election I ever worked was back in Illinois, a single Township precinct with only 62 voters in the entire day. There were only two of us working. It was a long day!

Good luck and be safe.

So last election cycle one of the poll workers visited with me for a bit. He told me my county is shorthanded when it comes to poll workers.
I went home that day and looked it up online and made application to become a poll worker.

Today I received a letter in the mail telling me to drop by the county election board office and pick up the training packet.
A friend of mine and I went down and I got the packet, we later went to lunch at a very nice little Italian Bistro.

So I'm sitting here with about a half inch of paper to read through and quizzes to take in order to serve.
This might be interesting......

Any thoughts and experiences any of you care to share?

Nothing other than saying how goddamn proud I am of you.

Thank you, very gracious of you...
You're "smarter than the average bear".

s-l1600.jpg

You're not going to retire on the payment, I think it was like $75.

You're not going to retire on the payment, I think it was like $75.
In my county it is $100 for one days work. Inspectors, clerks and judges all get paid the same. I believe inspectors should be paid more as they have to pick up and deliver the supplies and tabulating equipment.
I have heard they are to double the pay in June.

Just get an email from the election board. They want me to sign up for the Inspector class. They are asking everyone to take it that has the time.
I am a registered independent and willing to work anywhere in my county. This gives them a lot of flexibility..

In my county it is $100 for one days work. Inspectors, clerks and judges all get paid the same. I believe inspectors should be paid more as they have to pick up and deliver the supplies and tabulating equipment.
I have heard they are to double the pay in June.
Imo, it should be required that all American citizens work at the polls at least once in their lives as a part of our civic duties.

Imo, it should be required that all American citizens work at the polls at least once in their lives as a part of our civic duties.
So far the two times I have served have been real calm. First time we had about an 22% turn out....next time less than 5.
The only conflict we really had was a man on his cell phone trying to round up some cattle that had gotten out of his fences. He was told politely that he needed to step out into the hall for his conversation and got a bit huffy.
One guy commented he had to vote no on the proposal to balance out others that were voting yes.
Mid terms are pretty calm.

I hope the training is good. My biggest fear is to make a simple blunder and find the local news groups camped on my door step when I get home......

I think everyone should have to work retail sales or in a restaurant for awhile in order to have some recognition of proper behavior.

So far the two times I have served have been real calm. First time we had about an 22% turn out....next time less than 5.
The only conflict we really had was a man on his cell phone trying to round up some cattle that had gotten out of his fences. He was told politely that he needed to step out into the hall for his conversation and got a bit huffy.
One guy commented he had to vote no on the proposal to balance out others that were voting yes.
Mid terms are pretty calm.

I hope the training is good. My biggest fear is to make a simple blunder and find the local news groups camped on my door step when I get home......

I think everyone should have to work retail sales or in a restaurant for awhile in order to have some recognition of proper behavior.
Thanks for doing it.
I have to disagree about required retail or restaurant work...involuntary servitude.

Well a couple of weeks ago I received an email from the Election Board....they were asking if anyone was willing to take the Inspectors class as they are short handed in that position.

The duties of Inspector are a bit more. They pick up the electronic tabulation machine and ballots the night before and secure them in their homes. On election day they go in early and set up. They mount the tabulation device to the ballot box and inspect to make sure all is in order, along with the judge and clerk.
They then run an "opening poll" printout, which shows that there are no votes cast at that time.
They then assist as needed during the day but keep in close proximity to the machine and keep an eye on it. Not so close that folks feel they are being observed but close enough that if someone with ill intent starts to mess with the machine you can stop them.

At the end of the day you run a "close poll" report and print the tape three times. One gets posted at the door of the polling station, one goes into the box with the voted ballots and one goes into the official return bag. You then drive to the election board office and hand everything over to sheriffs deputies so the election board can tabulate the totals.

Out of 20-30 people asked to attend the class, only four of us did. Two had been election officials in other states and were complementary of the method and procedures we use.
We have a small election that occurs next month, turnout will be light. I am assigned to a precinct in another town for this one as I have told them I am willing to go anywhere in the county.

After that I am assigned to be a permanent member of a precinct just a few miles from me. As a registered independent it gives them flexibility on where they may assign me. They try to keep the groups balanced between the parties.

So far I have taken part in two elections. The second one hardly anyone turned out.
Folks have been very nice, with only very minor problems with being dealt with, I hope it continues this way.

Our equipment is a few years old but in good repair. It has no internet connectivity.

The man conducting the class was very patient and seemed genuinely glad we were there. He gave us pointers on how to handle folks that may show up with a chip on their shoulder as that was a topic of discussion with a couple of the folks attending the class.
We were told that we can directly call the police if we feel it is warranted, we do not need to clear it through them first. The Election board is only a phone call away during election day.

Worked my first election as the Inspector....
I was on time, others were not.
Everything went smooth, the instructions on the some of the procedures were out of date so when I called the office I was told they don't do it that way any more and told me the new way but it was on a minor issue.
Got everything packed up and dropped off the tabulation machine, ballots and other supplies to the Election board a half hour after the polls closed.
On of the other poll workers was really sharp and very helpful, the other one seemed to have a negative comment about most everything and seemed to want to talk about political issues....they would spout of with something really dumb and I would just look at them and say "Really?".

I agree.

I also think it should be mandatory that to graduate from High School one must work at least one mid term election and one presidential election, if the timing works out right.

Well a couple of weeks ago I received an email from the Election Board....they were asking if anyone was willing to take the Inspectors class as they are short handed in that position.

The duties of Inspector are a bit more. They pick up the electronic tabulation machine and ballots the night before and secure them in their homes. On election day they go in early and set up. They mount the tabulation device to the ballot box and inspect to make sure all is in order, along with the judge and clerk.
They then run an "opening poll" printout, which shows that there are no votes cast at that time.
They then assist as needed during the day but keep in close proximity to the machine and keep an eye on it. Not so close that folks feel they are being observed but close enough that if someone with ill intent starts to mess with the machine you can stop them.

At the end of the day you run a "close poll" report and print the tape three times. One gets posted at the door of the polling station, one goes into the box with the voted ballots and one goes into the official return bag. You then drive to the election board office and hand everything over to sheriffs deputies so the election board can tabulate the totals.

Out of 20-30 people asked to attend the class, only four of us did. Two had been election officials in other states and were complementary of the method and procedures we use.
We have a small election that occurs next month, turnout will be light. I am assigned to a precinct in another town for this one as I have told them I am willing to go anywhere in the county.

After that I am assigned to be a permanent member of a precinct just a few miles from me. As a registered independent it gives them flexibility on where they may assign me. They try to keep the groups balanced between the parties.

So far I have taken part in two elections. The second one hardly anyone turned out.
Folks have been very nice, with only very minor problems with being dealt with, I hope it continues this way.

Our equipment is a few years old but in good repair. It has no internet connectivity.

The man conducting the class was very patient and seemed genuinely glad we were there. He gave us pointers on how to handle folks that may show up with a chip on their shoulder as that was a topic of discussion with a couple of the folks attending the class.
We were told that we can directly call the police if we feel it is warranted, we do not need to clear it through them first. The Election board is only a phone call away during election day.
Sounds like fun times.

We had our BOD training classes this week for our May 16th Consolidated Elections here in ADA County. BOD = Ballot on Demand, where we only print Ballots as an Elector is processed and ready to vote in the Polling Place. That way we don't have to have pre-printed ballots on hand.

I already worked two weeks of BOD Early Voting last November, so yesterdays class was mostly review for me, but with a few change ups.

Our Chief Judges (as I am) get paid $200 Dollars for the Day, the equivalent I would say of "Inspector" for your locale, but as I have mentioned before as a CJ I am also more involved with more aspects of an Election, including picking up equipment and materials from Election HQ the Saturday before an election and returning them on Election night.

There are other duties.

As CJ's we are primarily responsible for recruiting the staffing we will need for each election, and for Polling place contacts prior to elections, and being in charge of the Polling place on election day.

If I work during an Early Voting period the Pay is $16.50 an hour.

I would still do this if I wasn't compensated, but that is a nice bonus.

The BOD process might be a good idea for us. I know we have not used 1/3 of the ballots provided even on our biggest turn out so far. In the two most recent we didn't us 10% of what we were issued.
The polling places are arranged by the county election office, often the local officials may not have a contact number provided unless one of the officials is a member of the church where the voting is taking place.
Churches, libraries and local schools tend to be where we hold ours.

So far I have been impressed with the people and the methods of election process here. Had one person that was pressing us for an opinion on the latest election but I just flat out told him we were barred by law from giving any opinion or direction on how to vote.

I agree.

I also think it should be mandatory that to graduate from High School one must work at least one mid term election and one presidential election, if the timing works out right.
I'd go with just a single election.
Child labor laws should still apply to 9-10th graders imo.

I'd go with just a single election.
Child labor laws should still apply to 9-10th graders imo.
I wouldn't consider it "child labor" as much as off campus student activity for which they would receive course credit, and compensation commensurate with the wages of a regular Poll Worker, but their hours on sight would be limited to an equal number of hours that they would be in school on a regular day.

Back
Top Bottom