• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cover me!!! I'm going in!! Volunteering for my county election board......

Born in the USA.......

Born to Run take place on Highway Nine....chrome wheel fuel injected and stepping out over the line...
Thank God you actually know the lyrics!
I will scream next time I hear someone ask "what does wrapped up like a douche mean?" 😆
"REVVED UP LIKE A DEUCE, YOU KNOW, A RUNNER IN THE NIGHT"

(John Milner and his Deuce in American Graffitti)
1674863327824.png

Thank God you actually know the lyrics!
I will scream next time I hear someone ask "what does wrapped up like a douche mean?" 😆
"REVVED UP LIKE A DEUCE, YOU KNOW, A RUNNER IN THE NIGHT"

(John Milner and his Deuce in American Graffitti)
View attachment 67434455
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.......

Good for you @Minerva, I wish more people would volunteer. It is rewarding, tiring but rewarding. Oh, and the pay is great. j/k
I have worked polls for quite a few elections and enjoyed the experience. Observing people is a hobby of mine and you do get to observe quite a few during that day. I always enjoyed the young ones who beamed with pride for voting the first time.

Good for you @Minerva, I wish more people would volunteer. It is rewarding, tiring but rewarding. Oh, and the pay is great. j/k
I have worked polls for quite a few elections and enjoyed the experience. Observing people is a hobby of mine and you do get to observe quite a few during that day. I always enjoyed the young ones who beamed with pride for voting the first time.

My son in 2016, his first time voting. ♥️💔♥️

Voted.jpg

So last election cycle one of the poll workers visited with me for a bit. He told me my county is shorthanded when it comes to poll workers.
I went home that day and looked it up online and made application to become a poll worker.

Today I received a letter in the mail telling me to drop by the county election board office and pick up the training packet.
A friend of mine and I went down and I got the packet, we later went to lunch at a very nice little Italian Bistro.

So I'm sitting here with about a half inch of paper to read through and quizzes to take in order to serve.
This might be interesting......

Any thoughts and experiences any of you care to share?

I guess I am mindful of what SOME election workers are subjected to and I just hope you do not encounter an environment as hostile as this lady had to deal with.
She is quitting.
Stay safe!

So last election cycle one of the poll workers visited with me for a bit. He told me my county is shorthanded when it comes to poll workers.
I went home that day and looked it up online and made application to become a poll worker.

Today I received a letter in the mail telling me to drop by the county election board office and pick up the training packet.
A friend of mine and I went down and I got the packet, we later went to lunch at a very nice little Italian Bistro.

So I'm sitting here with about a half inch of paper to read through and quizzes to take in order to serve.

A good friend of mine volunteered to be a poll worker last year. He enjoyed the experience and plans to continue doing it.

Good on you.

Be prepared for a very long day!

Other than that, there's not much to it. It's much easier than the reams of documentation would seem to indicate, and as a newb you won't be doing anything complicated. There will be experienced & higher-level people to guide you and make any important decisions. So I definitely wouldn't get psyched-up or anxious about your performance; you'll find you're probably more competent & astute than many.

It'll be an easy day in terms of challenges . . . but long! Hopefully your polling place will be a quick local commute, to not make your day any longer.

That's about it.

(Did I say it will be a long day?) :p

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and support!

I will start on the home training this week when the weather turns cold. The county I live in has a population of 300K spread out over 560 square miles. Some of it is urban, a lot is rural. My family has lived here since about 1890.
I'm of good health and somewhat sound mind. My biggest problem will be keeping my humor in check.

I have never heard of any violence at a polling station. The people that I have dealt with when voting have all been cheerful and polite.

When we had record turn out years ago I had to wait about two hours to vote. No one was rude with anyone else that I saw and every one just kept to themselves or made small talk. Typical subjects...weather....crops....how you think the college football teams will do. Since that time they have put in more polling stations. Mine is a local library that was designed for this purpose, you can get in and wait without being out in the weather, there is a vestibule that asks as a metering point. I have never witnessed a voter being challenged. I always use my state issue voter registration card that has my name and address but no photo. No one has challenged that.

Once when I was leaving my old polling place there were two guys having a heated discussion at the entrance to the parking lot. I stopped the truck and got out to see what was up. One man was putting up campaign signs. The other guy was telling him that it could not be done within 100 yards of the entrance to the polling station. I told them if they wanted I would get a polling official to come out and visit, but that I knew from previous experience the guy was correct on the distance.

This seemed to calm the guy trying to set the signs and he agreed to remove them and not place them any closer than the "WALL OF SIGNS" that already existed.

I think candidates should pay a nickle for every sign they put up. At the end of the season folks can then collect them and return them for the money.

Too many people don't understand what public easements are for and put signs up in the middle of them, some blocking drivers view of traffic.

Cool! Welcome to the Election Worker Club! I don't know which State you are in but I can tell you that you are in for an interesting experience.

I have been working elections since 2005 and started in Illinois but now I am doing so here in the wonderful State of Idaho!

I started out as a simple Poll Worker but in 2007 became an Election Judge in Illinois and then when I moved to Idaho in late 2016 soon as I was eligible I signed up to be an Idaho Poll Worker and soon after I became a Chief Judge of Elections for Ada County, Idaho. So I have been doing this for 18 years now and i love it.

One of the greatest difficulties of course is learning what the duties are to be a Poll Worker. The first time you work will be scary, but it really isn't going to be that difficult. Just read the material, a few times, watch any online instructions that might be available in your state. I don't know if your state will offer any live in person training but I would think so? I also don't know if your state pays Poll Workers, ours does, but I would do it even if that wasn't the case.

Most likely wherever you do get assigned the first time there will be experienced workers that can help you get the swing of things. I have found that all the people I have worked with over the years have been great people to work with, some were better at working elections than others but I enjoyed working with and talking with them. But of course I love meeting and getting to know folks.

Speaking of meeting folks, it is the Electors that we are there for on Election Days, it is all about getting them in to vote and out as professionally as we can. You will meet a lot of people, however briefly, which is something I love. We are there to serve them, and to do so with smiles and friendliness. Quickness is also important but not to the point it impedes accuracy, but again we strive to be as professional as possible. That is what the Electors aka Voters expect and deserve. It isn't really hard work, but it is so very important work.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I am certain there will be fellow workers who you can confer with and or a Chief in charge of the Polling Place to ask questions of. If you do get classroom instructions don't hesitate to have the instructor go over anything that you feel you need more information on; be it check in procedures or equipment set up, or how to close the Polls. If your instructors are as good as ours they will not hesitate to go over and over anything that you are feeling unsure about. They should know how well the Poll Workers do on Election Day is a direct result of their training.

Part 1

Cool! Welcome to the Election Worker Club! I don't know which State you are in but I can tell you that you are in for an interesting experience.

I have been working elections since 2005 and started in Illinois but now I am doing so here in the wonderful State of Idaho!

I started out as a simple Poll Worker but in 2007 became an Election Judge in Illinois and then when I moved to Idaho in late 2016 soon as I was eligible I signed up to be an Idaho Poll Worker and soon after I became a Chief Judge of Elections for Ada County, Idaho. So I have been doing this for 18 years now and i love it.

One of the greatest difficulties of course is learning what the duties are to be a Poll Worker. The first time you work will be scary, but it really isn't going to be that difficult. Just read the material, a few times, watch any online instructions that might be available in your state. I don't know if your state will offer any live in person training but I would think so? I also don't know if your state pays Poll Workers, ours does, but I would do it even if that wasn't the case.

Most likely wherever you do get assigned the first time there will be experienced workers that can help you get the swing of things. I have found that all the people I have worked with over the years have been great people to work with, some were better at working elections than others but I enjoyed working with and talking with them. But of course I love meeting and getting to know folks.

Speaking of meeting folks, it is the Electors that we are there for on Election Days, it is all about getting them in to vote and out as professionally as we can. You will meet a lot of people, however briefly, which is something I love. We are there to serve them, and to do so with smiles and friendliness. Quickness is also important but not to the point it impedes accuracy, but again we strive to be as professional as possible. That is what the Electors aka Voters expect and deserve. It isn't really hard work, but it is so very important work.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I am certain there will be fellow workers who you can confer with and or a Chief in charge of the Polling Place to ask questions of. If you do get classroom instructions don't hesitate to have the instructor go over anything that you feel you need more information on; be it check in procedures or equipment set up, or how to close the Polls. If your instructors are as good as ours they will not hesitate to go over and over anything that you are feeling unsure about. They should know how well the Poll Workers do on Election Day is a direct result of their training.

Part 1
You were kind of the impetus for my getting involved.

There was a topic being discussed about polling places and some of the posters were posting what they thought the rules were but you were able to step in and explain in detail how it worked in your neck of the woods.

You commented how personally rewarding it was for you. I have volunteered with other civic groups over the years, Big Brother/Big Sisters and Boy Scouts among other, and enjoyed it and was looking for something to do.

I'll keep you posted.

LouC's input for the OP Part 2

Once again I am speaking from only 18 years of working the Polls in only 2 different States but I have also become a bit of a well read source for many more of the 50 States having made Election processes elsewhere a bit of a personal Study. So I have some experience as well as a well of a spectrum across the board in regards Election Work.

Folks have said expect a long day on Election Day. That is true. Hopefully you will be working in a State that well compensates its Poll Workers. But again, I would do it even if they didn't pay me.

Most States have Poll Workers show up to set up the Polling Place at least an hour before the Polls open. Here the Polls open at 8:00 AM and close at 8:00 PM. Some States, like Idaho, recommend Poll Workers to go to the Polling Place the day before to set up the room and equipment that is already on site. This might include arranging tables and chairs where the workers will sit, setting up cardboard voting booths, laying out electrical cords to power any electrical equipment; ensuring everything is set up to direct the flow of Electors traffic in the most efficient manner possible. Also, in regards directing the Electors, setting up will include setting out signage on the morning of Election Day to direct the Electors off the street and into the building where your Polling Place is located. Of course at the end of Election Day everything will need to be reversed, taken down and put away or back in order, before you can leave for home. It usually takes me and my crews about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to accomplish all of this.

Some others in this thread made mention of Poll Worker safety, even suggesting wearing bullet proof vests. Thank goodness none such has ever been the case in any of my many times working the Polls.

Oh I have overheard some real nasty BS comments from folks in line, rare instances they are. I though have seen an increase in total BS conspiracy commentary from some outspoken people in the last few years. This last Mid Term Election Cycle was the worst. In the mid term primary Election a husband and wife team came through and from the moment they stepped in until they thankfully left it was non stop conspiracy BS with the wife being downright rude with her crap and they double teamed the BS with every worker they came in contact with. Then I worked the Early Voting before the Mid Term and there was two weeks we had Early Voting available at our location, one of several in the county, and there was a large number of people spouting nonsense about "rigged elections" and "my vote doesn't matter" along with lots of disallowed hats and shirts, aka illegal Electioneering Items of clothing, and one person actually handed out, to a couple of my workers, business cards for a candidate. Truly illegal stuff, that! I had to mention a couple times that what people were saying aloud in line was "illegal electioneering talk not allowed in the Polling Place." Folks were surprised that what they were saying was disallowed but they complied nicely.

But we are obviously in a new era and I have lost crew members who have found themselves worried about working the Polls for health and safety reasons. I understand. I truly do. But it is in my blood now and I feel it is too important a mission to walk away form.

Long days, yes, hard work, yes, lots to know and master, yes, lots of new folks to meet and help, yes, lots of new people you will work with and get to know about, yes, a sense of accomplishment at being a part of something big, yes, worth it all, heck yes!

There was a topic being discussed about polling places and some of the posters were posting what they thought the rules were but you were able to step in and explain in detail how it worked in your neck of the woods.

You commented how personally rewarding it was for you. I have volunteered with other civic groups over the years, Big Brother/Big Sisters and Boy Scouts among other, and enjoyed it and was looking for something to do.

I'll keep you posted.
Super!

Well I have just about read through all the information I was given. I got a stapled B&W copy of a color manual. Some of the photos were difficult to see what they were referring to.

When I complete the read I have some forms to mail out and document to provide. Nothing to bizarre.

Then I call the county election supervisor and make an appointment to view some videos.

It was kind of interesting to read about all the different processes and procedures to follow and how to handle the typical situations that may occur such as lack of proper ID, ID in conflict with registry...etc.

Kind of looking forward to it.

I'll keep you posted.

You've got my respect here, Minerva.

I had some juvie buddies of mine (brothers) in my early teens, who were fatherless and going bad. Both got their lives turned around by a guy from Big Brothers. They really changed, one got his G.E.D., the other started applying himself to school, and their Big Brother even eventually got them good jobs after their G.E.D. & H.S. They stayed in touch all their adult lives. He went to their weddings, and they went to his funeral. Hell of a story!

I met him several times, and was so taken back by what he did with my buddies that I considered being a big brother not long after - but was too busy with my own life.

Last edited:
LouC's input for the OP Part 2

Once again I am speaking from only 18 years of working the Polls in only 2 different States but I have also become a bit of a well read source for many more of the 50 States having made Election processes elsewhere a bit of a personal Study. So I have some experience as well as a well of a spectrum across the board in regards Election Work.

Folks have said expect a long day on Election Day. That is true. Hopefully you will be working in a State that well compensates its Poll Workers. But again, I would do it even if they didn't pay me.

Most States have Poll Workers show up to set up the Polling Place at least an hour before the Polls open. Here the Polls open at 8:00 AM and close at 8:00 PM. Some States, like Idaho, recommend Poll Workers to go to the Polling Place the day before to set up the room and equipment that is already on site. This might include arranging tables and chairs where the workers will sit, setting up cardboard voting booths, laying out electrical cords to power any electrical equipment; ensuring everything is set up to direct the flow of Electors traffic in the most efficient manner possible. Also, in regards directing the Electors, setting up will include setting out signage on the morning of Election Day to direct the Electors off the street and into the building where your Polling Place is located. Of course at the end of Election Day everything will need to be reversed, taken down and put away or back in order, before you can leave for home. It usually takes me and my crews about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to accomplish all of this.

Some others in this thread made mention of Poll Worker safety, even suggesting wearing bullet proof vests. Thank goodness none such has ever been the case in any of my many times working the Polls.

Oh I have overheard some real nasty BS comments from folks in line, rare instances they are. I though have seen an increase in total BS conspiracy commentary from some outspoken people in the last few years. This last Mid Term Election Cycle was the worst. In the mid term primary Election a husband and wife team came through and from the moment they stepped in until they thankfully left it was non stop conspiracy BS with the wife being downright rude with her crap and they double teamed the BS with every worker they came in contact with. Then I worked the Early Voting before the Mid Term and there was two weeks we had Early Voting available at our location, one of several in the county, and there was a large number of people spouting nonsense about "rigged elections" and "my vote doesn't matter" along with lots of disallowed hats and shirts, aka illegal Electioneering Items of clothing, and one person actually handed out, to a couple of my workers, business cards for a candidate. Truly illegal stuff, that! I had to mention a couple times that what people were saying aloud in line was "illegal electioneering talk not allowed in the Polling Place." Folks were surprised that what they were saying was disallowed but they complied nicely.

But we are obviously in a new era and I have lost crew members who have found themselves worried about working the Polls for health and safety reasons. I understand. I truly do. But it is in my blood now and I feel it is too important a mission to walk away form.

Long days, yes, hard work, yes, lots to know and master, yes, lots of new folks to meet and help, yes, lots of new people you will work with and get to know about, yes, a sense of accomplishment at being a part of something big, yes, worth it all, heck yes!

From what I've gleaned from this, I think you might've made a great Precinct Captain (if you weren't!).

Well I have just about read through all the information I was given. I got a stapled B&W copy of a color manual. Some of the photos were difficult to see what they were referring to.

When I complete the read I have some forms to mail out and document to provide. Nothing to bizarre.

Then I call the county election supervisor and make an appointment to view some videos.

It was kind of interesting to read about all the different processes and procedures to follow and how to handle the typical situations that may occur such as lack of proper ID, ID in conflict with registry...etc.

Kind of looking forward to it.
:) (y)

Welcome to the Ranks!

Well I finished the training and filled out all the forms.

I went to the county election office and turned it all in. Met with the county election secretary and she was glad to see me. My section of the county is short of volunteers so she asked me if I was willing to travel. I said sure I can go anywhere needed.
So I am assigned to a local education center for a special election, there is only one item on the ballot and it is nonpartisan.

There are 3-4 positions in an election station: Inspector, Provisional Voting Officer (often combined with Inspector), Judge and Clerk. Clerk is the easiest so I asked to be placed in that position for the first couple of rotations. I was asked if I would be willing to work up to Inspector and replied that I would but wanted to ease into it. Of course my fear is making some minor error in my duties and having people crawl out of the wood work claiming a rigged process.

I will work from 6:30 am until the polls close at 7:00 pm and then help run the total and pack up. Was told to bring a ice chest with whatever I would need to eat and drink for the day.

Well I finished the training and filled out all the forms.

I went to the county election office and turned it all in. Met with the county election secretary and she was glad to see me. My section of the county is short of volunteers so she asked me if I was willing to travel. I said sure I can go anywhere needed.
So I am assigned to a local education center for a special election, there is only one item on the ballot and it is nonpartisan.

There are 3-4 positions in an election station: Inspector, Provisional Voting Officer (often combined with Inspector), Judge and Clerk. Clerk is the easiest so I asked to be placed in that position for the first couple of rotations. I was asked if I would be willing to work up to Inspector and replied that I would but wanted to ease into it. Of course my fear is making some minor error in my duties and having people crawl out of the wood work claiming a rigged process.

I will work from 6:30 am until the polls close at 7:00 pm and then help run the total and pack up. Was told to bring a ice chest with whatever I would need to eat and drink for the day.
Pretty standard, especially for a local special non-partisan election with just one item on the ballot. A good election for you to work first time out. Good luck. Don't forget reading material or electronic devices for games or reading and make certain you take a charger. I have found it doesn't take much to keep me happy during the day in regards food and drink. I always end up taking too much.

Looking forward to hearing how the day goes for you!

Pretty standard, especially for a local special non-partisan election with just one item on the ballot. A good election for you to work first time out. Good luck. Don't forget reading material or electronic devices for games or reading and make certain you take a charger. I have found it doesn't take much to keep me happy during the day in regards food and drink. I always end up taking too much.

Looking forward to hearing how the day goes for you!
Thanks for the hints.
I was told to bring a small ice chest with my lunch.

I will bake some cookies the night before and pack those with some sandwiches and drinks, and I always take too much food. I have a hard time cooking for just my wife and I, we eat leftovers a lot.

I have just started reading the book, "The Bohemians" by Norman Ohler. The subject is about some young people that opposed Hitler in Berlin, two of them were a young couple. She was pregnant and allowed to give birth and name her son but then was taken to the guillotine. The book starts off with an interview of that baby who is now 75 and a German historical researcher.

Loose, comfortable clothes...so probably my bib overalls.....lots of pockets...

Thanks for the hints.
I was told to bring a small ice chest with my lunch.

I will bake some cookies the night before and pack those with some sandwiches and drinks, and I always take too much food. I have a hard time cooking for just my wife and I, we eat leftovers a lot.

I have just started reading the book, "The Bohemians" by Norman Ohler. The subject is about some young people that opposed Hitler in Berlin, two of them were a young couple. She was pregnant and allowed to give birth and name her son but then was taken to the guillotine. The book starts off with an interview of that baby who is now 75 and a German historical researcher.

Loose, comfortable clothes...so probably my bib overalls.....lots of pockets...
Will you have e-poll books or paper poll books?

Will you have e-poll books or paper poll books?
We will have paper poll books.

I went over tonight and helped set up the tables, signs and cardboard voting booths. I have packed a lunch and dinner and some snacks and drinks. Made a bunch of oatmeal molasses cookies with pecans.

The Inspector and her husband were there setting up as well. Just the three of us. She said the early vote turnout was not a large as expected.

Since the last general election in my county they have added 20 precincts. They say they are really short handed now.

We will have paper poll books.

I went over tonight and helped set up the tables, signs and cardboard voting booths. I have packed a lunch and dinner and some snacks and drinks. Made a bunch of oatmeal molasses cookies with pecans.

The Inspector and her husband were there setting up as well. Just the three of us. She said the early vote turnout was not a large as expected.

Since the last general election in my county they have added 20 precincts. They say they are really short handed now.
Good for you!

I am happy we went to epollbooks, so much easier than paper poll books.

But not everyone can afford them.

After the 2020 Census my County added 60 precincts. That is one of the reasons I work as Chief judge in a dual precinct, we have a lot more of those now.

We only had one city in the County with a Ballot issue here in March and so I am not getting to work that.

Yeah, we have been short handed for two reasons, COVID and worried workers about violence against Poll Workers.

I lost some good workers for both of those reasons.

(Frankly I think both reasons could be seen as diseases.)

Awesome!

I am certain you will be as enlightened as I was when I went from being a reporter of politics to being active for a candidate. Pay attention to that 13 mm of paper, you are holding the United States Constitution.

Awesome!

I am certain you will be as enlightened as I was when I went from being a reporter of politics to being active for a candidate. Pay attention to that 13 mm of paper, you are holding the United States Constitution.
:) (y)

Well it went pretty smoothly.

One poll worker did not show so that left two of us. When contacted the worker informed the secretary that they couldn't work that day. A heads up would have been nice.

Polls opened and the other poll worker was the first one to vote as per procedure so I witnessed her signing in and all that. Was pretty slow at first than a relief worker came in. He arrived just in time as it got really busy within minutes of his showing up.

Things went smoothly for the most part, people were polite and MANY thanked us for manning the polling station. It is a new precinct and we had a few cases of a spouse being on the rolls but the other not, even though they lived in the same residence. No one got hateful and the use of provisional ballots and a change of address form allowed everyone to vote.

A few times a husband would come in to vote and then the wife, commenting that the other was watching the baby now.

Only had a couple of folks that made smarmy comments, which was a lot less than I had expected. Far more were complimentary of us.

Only one person had to be told to leave the room if he wanted to talk on his phone about his cow getting out of a pasture. He came back in afterwards and said that when you have a cow out you have to take the call, it was pointed out the line was short, he was at the end of it and he only had to walk 20 feet to be in the public hall area where he could talk. Hobby ranchers are the worst....

The son of the Inspector came and voted for the first time, nice young man and we chatted for a bit. Has a chance at small college football but after a pretty bad injury to his shoulders and having excellent grades has decided to pursue academic glory and not gridiron.

Had some interesting conversations with the other poll workers.

Closed the polls at the correct time and pretty much packed everything away and was on the road home in 45 minutes.

I will probably work as Clerk or Judge on the next elections, maybe after a number of sessions I may go for Inspector or PVO...that requires one on one training at headquarters.

Back
Top Bottom