• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cover me!!! I'm going in!! Volunteering for my county election board......

Minerva

Of the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
So last election cycle one of the poll workers visited with me for a bit. He told me my county is shorthanded when it comes to poll workers.
I went home that day and looked it up online and made application to become a poll worker.

Today I received a letter in the mail telling me to drop by the county election board office and pick up the training packet.
A friend of mine and I went down and I got the packet, we later went to lunch at a very nice little Italian Bistro.

So I'm sitting here with about a half inch of paper to read through and quizzes to take in order to serve.
This might be interesting......

Any thoughts and experiences any of you care to share?

So last election cycle one of the poll workers visited with me for a bit. He told me my county is shorthanded when it comes to poll workers.
I went home that day and looked it up online and made application to become a poll worker.

Today I received a letter in the mail telling me to drop by the county election board office and pick up the training packet.
A friend of mine and I went down and I got the packet, we later went to lunch at a very nice little Italian Bistro.

So I'm sitting here with about a half inch of paper to read through and quizzes to take in order to serve.

I've done it. Low pay, long hours, and a wonderful feeling of civic engagement when the day is done. Every person in America should be required to work one day at the polls imo.

Good for you! I'm going to tag @LouC to see if he has any input.

And just for fun:

Last edited:
I've done it. Low pay, long hours, and a wonderful feeling of civic engagement when the day is done. Every person in America should be required to work one day at the polls imo.

Well, not me of course but my wife can easily work two. ;)

Not direct experience but I recommend lots of Kevlar.

Not funny, and not really any history of needing it.

I wasn't being funny, I would hesitate to be an election worker after seeing what happened twice in this country already.
Either a lot of Kevlar or heavy security presence.
And it's NOT funny at all, it's sick and ****ed up, and it's the reality of elections in America today, thanks to the Far Right, which is now mainstream.

I forget whose campaign song was...

Born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
End up like a dog that's been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

Got in a little home town jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foriegn land
To go and kill the yellow man

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man said, "Son, if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said, "Son, don't you understand?"

Brilliant choice.

H said, "Son, don't you understand?"
W?

I wasn't being funny, I would hesitate to be an election worker after seeing what happened twice in this country already.
Either a lot of Kevlar or heavy security presence.
And it's NOT funny at all, it's sick and ****ed up, and it's the reality of elections in America today, thanks to the Far Right, which is now mainstream.
I don't see evidence of shootings of poll workers, but I take your point. This is not evidence but an anecdote, when I voted there was no security and no evidence of stressed poll workers.

I don't see evidence of shootings of poll workers

Yet.
But it began to come close and unless Far Right morons pull their heads out of their asses, it's only a question of time.
It might not be like that all over...MY OWN polling locations in Whittier CA are boring and quiet, but there's plenty of areas where tensions are at the boiling point and since I don't know where Minerva lives, I am only taking a wild guess.
I was asked repeatedly to volunteer on the local school board and when I began seeing the violence erupting at those, I canceled my intent to do it.
I have enough on my plate as it is, crisis wise, right now.

Brilliant choice.
Born to Run, by the Boss.

He sued Ronald Ray gun zap to force him to stop using it. Just like he did in 96 for Dole and '00 for Buchanan. Or was it the other way around?

"When: 1984, 1996, 2000
Song: "Born in the U.S.A."
Controversy: Springsteen's 1984 classic has become an election-season go-to for politicians who don't seem to get the biting critique behind the song's ostensibly jingoistic title and chorus. The misappropriation began right out the gate, just after the single and its album became monster hits. A Reagan advisor asked if they could use the song in the president's reelection campaign, and Springsteen said no. Even so, Reagan referenced the musician in a stump speech: "America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside our hearts. It rests in the message of hope in the songs of a man so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about." Springsteen began to speak out against Reagan, questioning during a show whether Reagan actually listened to his music, and later telling Rolling Stone, "I think people have a need to feel good about the country they live in. But what's happening, I think, is that that need – which is a good thing – is getting manipulated and exploited." Later, Bob Dole and then Pat Buchanan also used the song in their campaigns, until Springsteen objected.
Result: At least one commentator has argued that being co-opted by Reagan is in large part what politicized Springsteen, making him the outspoken liberal he is today. Whether this is the case or not, Bruce inarguably paved the way for other artists to take a stand by telling politicians to stop using their songs."

Last edited:
Born to Run, by the Boss.

He sued Ronald Ray gun zap to force him to stop using it. Just like he did in 96 for Dole and '00 for Buchanan.

"When: 1984, 1996, 2000
Song: "Born in the U.S.A."
Controversy: Springsteen's 1984 classic has become an election-season go-to for politicians who don't seem to get the biting critique behind the song's ostensibly jingoistic title and chorus. The misappropriation began right out the gate, just after the single and its album became monster hits. A Reagan advisor asked if they could use the song in the president's reelection campaign, and Springsteen said no. Even so, Reagan referenced the musician in a stump speech: "America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside our hearts. It rests in the message of hope in the songs of a man so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about." Springsteen began to speak out against Reagan, questioning during a show whether Reagan actually listened to his music, and later telling Rolling Stone, "I think people have a need to feel good about the country they live in. But what's happening, I think, is that that need – which is a good thing – is getting manipulated and exploited." Later, Bob Dole and then Pat Buchanan also used the song in their campaigns, until Springsteen objected.
Result: At least one commentator has argued that being co-opted by Reagan is in large part what politicized Springsteen, making him the outspoken liberal he is today. Whether this is the case or not, Bruce inarguably paved the way for other artists to take a stand by telling politicians to stop using their songs."
Bingo!

Yet.
But it began to come close and unless Far Right morons pull their heads out of their asses, it's only a question of time.
It might not be like that all over...MY OWN polling locations in Whittier CA are boring and quiet, but there's plenty of areas where tensions are at the boiling point and since I don't know where Minerva lives, I am only taking a wild guess.
I was asked repeatedly to volunteer on the local school board and when I began seeing the violence erupting at those, I canceled my intent to do it.
I have enough on my plate as it is, crisis wise, right now.
I have no rebuttal to your concern about personal safety. I was next to positive that we would see violence in the 2022 election, and thankful it did not happen. As if American schools don't have enough problems, the no education idiots that are running (and winning) in too many areas.

Result: At least one commentator has argued that being co-opted by Reagan is in large part what politicized Springsteen, making him the outspoken liberal he is today.

Your link did not work but I remember Bruce saying as much on Bob Coburn's "Rockline" show on late night FM back in the day.

City Council meetings and School Board meetings have had some heat around my neck of the woods. Local polling places not so much. Mostly gray haired church ladies and their husbands man the polling stations.
I am volunteering my time and my truck as needed.

Brilliant choice.
Born in the USA.......

Born to Run take place on Highway Nine....chrome wheel fuel injected and stepping out over the line...

I wonder why, it just opened when I went back to check.

404 Not Found​

• Code: NoSuchKey
  • Key: magazine/story/2014/06/bruce-springsteen-ronald-reagan-107448.html
  • RequestId: 8F1RDWBPA8N185AF
  • HostId: aO6nfZcmD0QQCRoDjGJlxbvO0svNu3iotnNrW8F99q5ijPh32wUXvIjeivQH/79YVgq1a1Npq30=

Back
Top Bottom