• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court packing.

You are probably correct in that assumption only as long as the DEMONRATS do not control the Senate. If they do take control they will absolutely try to add more liberal justices. To deny that is just sticking your head in the sand.
To deny that is to live in reality. There are some saying they should add judges, but when they take the Senate, they're not going to have enough support even from within their own party to pass something to increase the number of judges.

I know and when they get their chance, I hope they add another twenty to show america how much of a joke the gop really is. All they want is power and the people who support them pay. Every notice how poor most of the southern states are, all the ones that vote red.

You realized how every single thing you said can be turned around back on you, right?

So, you can’t express for yourself what “imbalance” you claim to exist. Think you can manage to inform me and others as to what part of the article you find particularly persuasive and supportive of your claim of an “imbalance”? Or do you just want to co-opt the whole article and actually say nothing original to support YOUR claim of “imbalance”?

After all, the piece you cite to is an opinion piece. The prose isn’t an exploration into the factual existence of nature and the universe. Why should anyone read the opinion piece you link to and find it persuasive? Because I do not find the article persuasive.

In this instance “packing” is creating new seats to SCOTUS for the express purpose of filling them with someone of a particular ideology. Sound familiar? If you know your history this jingle should resonate.

In 1801 the Federalist controlled Congress passed the judiciary act. This law created 16 new seats on the federal bench for Adams to fill with Federalists. The purpose? The intentionally leave an ideological footprint in the federal judiciary. The move was denounced by Jefferson and others as court packing. Ultimately, Jefferson refused to deliver the commissions, and the next Congress eliminated the seats by law.

FYI: the article shares my view of court packing. “Yes. Are they proposing we play with the numbers on the bench in order to achieve their goal? No, not right now; right now, they are explicitly seeking a nine-Justice court, with an eye toward securing a favorable ruling in the case of a contested election. So, not court packing, but not exactly the objectivity and fairness one hopes for in a democracy.”

May want to read your sources carefully next time.

So, tell me what part of this article you find persuasive as it pertains to imbalance existing on the Court and why?

I do read my sources carefully.
Clearly you embody a person too close to the trees to see the forest.

The 7 - 2 1857 Dredd Scott v. Sandford decision poured gas on an impending Civil War.

The 7 - 1 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision led to Separate But Equal as Law of Land for 58 years.

Judicial philosophies and their derivative decisions sometimes impact our society in major ways for years to come.

Dark Conservative money has followed ACB throughout her Law career. A Bias Court decided Bush v. Gore. I do not want another Bias Court to decide a prospective Trump v. Biden... or outlaw the ACA without reasonable analysis.

Yes. An egregious imbalance currently exists on the USSC. The Senate GOP majority's intent on rushing to confirm ACB only acerbates the tenuous situation.
There is no imbalance. The justices are supposed to decide according to the Constitution.

Ok. So what is refusing to allow a president the right to pick a nominee called? Remember your elections have consequences comment.
Democrats are trying to refuse President Trump from picking the brilliant Judge Amy right now!!!

Why do some Republicans treat the constitution like a bible, it's not, and has been amended before and will again.
An improvement or correction to the constitution is because one hates the constitution as a concept it only serves to remind you that things change, rules change, laws can be changed and so can the constitution.
There in lies your problem. The Constitution is a set of written down laws in black and white. It is not just suggestion that might or might not be followed depending on how the judges "FEEL" that day.

There is no imbalance. The justices are supposed to decide according to the Constitution.
Political Idiots spew idiocy. Say it out loud and say it at least ten times....

then go to the nearest mirror and look at yourself.

You realized how every single thing you said can be turned around back on you, right?
Yes, but for right now the gop better do its damndest to do its dirtiest now because when the dems do get into power I'm pretty sure most republicans are not going to like their agenda. It's time for we the people instead of we the wealthy and corporate america.

Democrats are trying to refuse President Trump from picking the brilliant Judge Amy right now!!!
Is she having a hearing? Did obama's pick get a hearing? Hell no, mitch made sure of that. You guys are only trying to convince yourselves this underhanded thing that trump, mitch and the gop senators are doing is ok when you know it's not. Constitutional is one thing, but when you refuse to give obama's pick a hearing with over two hundred seventy days before the election using the excuse the people should get a say and then turn around and while voting has already started the gop pushes barrett through because they have the votes, america says, foul. It's ok if you disagree, let's see what the voters say since mitch was so willing to take away their voices. You're going to lose the senate along with the white house.

There in lies your problem. The Constitution is a set of written down laws in black and white. It is not just suggestion that might or might not be followed depending on how the judges "FEEL" that day.
Nobody said it was a suggestion, and I doubt any judge in the SC makes judgments based on "feels." But it's not a bible, and it can and is amended if needed.

Dark Conservative money has followed ACB throughout her Law career. A Bias Court decided Bush v. Gore. I do not want another Bias Court to decide a prospective Trump v. Biden... or outlaw the ACA without reasonable analysis.

A bias court eh? First, it helps to develop some notion of what “bias” is and isn’t for a judge. Your claim of bias leaves much to be desired in terms of substance. Practically, bias cannot mean a tabula rasa, a blank slate for a judge. By the time a person is nominated for the bench, they have formulated beliefs, ideas, a world view, a legal view, and a legal philosophy, along with legal opinions, and political beliefs, a political identity, and political ideology. From this view, there isn’t one person nominated for or who sat on the bench who wasn’t “bias.” Which is to say the dissenters in Bush v Gore were also bias as they weren’t blank slates, just as the majority. Is it your belief had Bush v Gore been decided in favor of Gore then bias would not have existed?

Practically, whatever bias means in relation to people on the bench it cannot mean to be a blank slate.

So, why exactly was the decision in Bush v Gore a product of bias, and what is meant by bias?

And I’m still wondering how this establishes an imbalance on the Court. What imbalance?

or outlaw the ACA without reasonable analysis.

Sure, I agree, but there already exists a “reasonable analysis” for doing so. The dissent in the prior decision, penned by Scalia and others, is a reasonable analysis. The weakest part of Robertsdecision is he ignored the plain text of the statute to save it.

Clearly you embody a person too close to the trees to see the forest.

No, presently the issue is whether what you claim the forest to be, say full of oak, is really oak. Call me old fashion but supporting what one claims makes sense.

The 7 - 2 1857 Dredd Scott v. Sandford decision poured gas on an impending Civil War.

The 7 - 1 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision led to Separate But Equal as Law of Land for 58 years.

So what? I can quote impactful 7-2 decisions. Roe v Wade. Or 6-3 decisions, such as Lawrence v Texas, or Korematsu v U.S. What do any them have to do with your notion the Court is presently imbalanced?

Judicial philosophies and their derivative decisions sometimes impact our society in major ways for years to come.

This is true regardless of judicial philosophies and is an inherent feature of our judiciary.

Yes, but for right now the gop better do its damndest to do its dirtiest now because when the dems do get into power I'm pretty sure most republicans are not going to like their agenda. It's time for we the people instead of we the wealthy and corporate america.

That's hilarious. The wealthy and corporations lean Democrat.

Filling a vacancy is not court packing. Stop falling for every mindless thing you see on TV.

Yes, it is. Moscow Mitch and the Republicans are hypocrites who have violated Senate norms and traditions. What they have done is absolutely court packing and they will pay for it.

Turnabout is fair play. Once Trump loses and the Repugs lose control of the Senate, the Democrats absolutely need to appoint Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court, at a minimum.

Yes, it is. Moscow Mitch and the Republicans are hypocrites who have violated Senate norms and traditions. What they have done is absolutely court packing and they will pay for it.

Turnabout is fair play. Once Trump loses and the Repugs lose control of the Senate, the Democrats absolutely need to appoint Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court, at a minimum.
Court packing is adding justices not replacing existing justices. Get your facts straight.

Court packing is adding justices not replacing existing justices. Get your facts straight.

Nope. Court packing is also violating Senate norms and traditions. Which is what Moscow Mitch and the Repugs did in 2016 with Merrick Garland. They literally stole a Supreme Court seat from Obama and the Democrats. That is court packing.

You get your ****ing facts straight.

They aren't increasing the number of judges for political purposes. We've been at 9 judges since 1869. Why would we need more? Even Ginsburg said 9 is the correct number.

The term “court packing” was coined by opponents of a judicial reform bill proposed in 1937 by Franklin Roosevelt.

In fact, the Court has gone down as many times as it has gone up. From 1863 to 1866, there were actually 10 Supreme Court justices. Then Congress trimmed that all the way back to 7 with the goal of eliminating justices from Southern states. Then just three years after that, Congress stepped in again to raise it to the current level of 9 justices, following a restructuring of federal courts.

So what could Biden do? Honestly, just about anything. The Constitution calls for a court, but has nothing to say about how many people sit on that Court. But here are a couple of options that should appeal to Republicans that demand “original intent.”

WHY GEORGE WASHINGTON WOULD WANT 26 JUSTICES

The original understanding of how to structure the court was that there should be two justices for each federal circuit court. There were three such circuits in 1789, which is how the United States ended up with six justices. Since there are thirteen such circuits today, we should have … 26 justices. Isn’t that right, Amy Coney Barrett?

THE CASE FOR 16 JUSTICES

That idea of two justices per circuit didn’t stick around long because legislators in the original 13 states were reluctant to share the judicial branch with those upstarts in new states. When a new circuit court was added in 1807 to cover Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee, just one new seat was added to cover them. If that’s the precedent, then there should be 16 justices—six for the original three circuits, and one each for all those added later.

OR WHY NOT JUST … LOP OFF GORSUCH, KAVANAUGH, AND BARRETT

Forget packing the court. A real originalist might argue that the proper number of Supreme Court justices is right where it started, with just six seats. When the Court was cut from six to five in 1801, Jefferson-haters didn’t actually try to boot a justice. They were more concerned that they block Jefferson from getting a chance to name anyone new.

But that law in 1869 did something else besides. It also provided that justices can have a pension when they leave the court, something that had previously been lacking. That change pointed out a simple remedy for removing justices without violating the constitutional limits on pay—keep paying them. Cutting Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett a check each year would be a small price to pay for having their voices removed from the bench. And just think of all the beer.

BUT WHAT SHOULD BIDEN REALLY SAY?

If Amy Coney Barrett can insist she can’t even speak to existing laws, or confirm items that are in the Constitution, then there’s no reason Joe Biden has to say anything. But assuming that he does, the answer is: As little as possible.

Biden can point out that the court has already been packed by Republicans who have seated 15 justices in the last 50 years, a period in which Democrats have only named four.

If that had all occurred as a coincidence of when Justices happened to die, it would be one thing.

It hasn’t.

Not only has there been deliberate manipulation of openings by a Republican Senate that refused to give a hearing to a nominee from a Democratic president, there also has been more than one occasion of direct coordination between the Republicans on the court and sitting justices, as happened when Justice Kennedy negotiated his own retirement to give Trump an additional slot.

The idea that the court is, or ever was, apolitical, is … pure malarkey.

And Biden should not have it.

Biden says he’s not a fan of adding more seats to the court, but he should admit that it could be the only possible solution to a court that has been manipulated by Republicans over decades to make it hugely unrepresentative of either the nation, or of legal scholarship. He might also mention that with Trump and McConnell colluding to pack other federal courts with hundreds of unqualified appointees, having a fair and unskewed court is a necessary buffer against genuinely horrible legal rulings.

Biden might also mention other options, such as limiting the term of justices, or even having justices selected form a rotating pool of justices at the circuit court level. But above all he should make it clear that he’s not “breaking” some sacred trust concerning the court. That trust has never existed, and the efforts of Republicans over the past half century have made the Supreme Court even less representative than the lopsided Senate and Electoral College.

Let the pearl clutchers clutch. This needs to be fixed.

A bias court eh? First, it helps to develop some notion of what “bias” is and isn’t for a judge. Your claim of bias leaves much to be desired in terms of substance. Practically, bias cannot mean a tabula rasa, a blank slate for a judge. By the time a person is nominated for the bench, they have formulated beliefs, ideas, a world view, a legal view, and a legal philosophy, along with legal opinions, and political beliefs, a political identity, and political ideology. From this view, there isn’t one person nominated for or who sat on the bench who wasn’t “bias.” Which is to say the dissenters in Bush v Gore were also bias as they weren’t blank slates, just as the majority. Is it your belief had Bush v Gore been decided in favor of Gore then bias would not have existed?

Practically, whatever bias means in relation to people on the bench it cannot mean to be a blank slate.

So, why exactly was the decision in Bush v Gore a product of bias, and what is meant by bias?

And I’m still wondering how this establishes an imbalance on the Court. What imbalance?

Sure, I agree, but there already exists a “reasonable analysis” for doing so. The dissent in the prior decision, penned by Scalia and others, is a reasonable analysis. The weakest part of Robertsdecision is he ignored the plain text of the statute to save it.

No, presently the issue is whether what you claim the forest to be, say full of oak, is really oak. Call me old fashion but supporting what one claims makes sense.

So what? I can quote impactful 7-2 decisions. Roe v Wade. Or 6-3 decisions, such as Lawrence v Texas, or Korematsu v U.S. What do any them have to do with your notion the Court is presently imbalanced?

This is true regardless of judicial philosophies and is an inherent feature of our judiciary.
'Old Fashion' need not include irascible intransigent thinking. 'New Fashion' often includes Googling.

Bias:
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
Imbalance:
lack of proportion or relation between corresponding things.

The Florida Supreme Court ruled 7 - 0 in favor of Gore. GW Bush's brother Jeb served as Florida Governor during the case. The two brothers, Jeb and GW appeared to support each other's election ambitions. Katherine Harris, served dual roles during the case. As Secretary of State her duties included certifying the Florida Election. She also served as Co-Chair of GW Bush's election efforts in Florida.

Even someone as dumb as Trump can grasp the relationship between 'bias', 'imbalance' and the USSC Bush v. Gore decision.

American Bar Association rated them as 'not qualified', not me...try again

Show us where in The Constitution that the ABA's opinion means shit.

Yes guy. I got it. Some people here don't give a shit about the pedantic difference between **** blocking court seats and expanding the court with extra seats. You apparently do. Good for you. Just as described 4 or 5 responses ago with my pissing on leg/shitting on shoe analogy.
Do you feel as though "****" blocking courts seats and voting down a nominee are a "distinction without a difference"? They both have the same result. Maybe you feel that the nominee HAS to be confirmed, at least when the nominee is selected by a Democrat. Your position is untenable if you are trying to be logically sound.

That's hilarious. The wealthy and corporations lean Democrat.
I have always found this quite humorous as well. Almost as humorous as trying to get people to believe that all the rich people are Republicans when rich Democrats far outnumber rich Republicans.

Nope. Court packing is also violating Senate norms and traditions. Which is what Moscow Mitch and the Repugs did in 2016 with Merrick Garland. They literally stole a Supreme Court seat from Obama and the Democrats. That is court packing.

You get your ****ing facts straight.
I see the leftist BORG are using their own dictionaries now.

I see the leftist BORG are using their own dictionaries now.

I could give a flying **** about whatever dictionary you Repugs are using for the term "court packing".

This is the bottom line -- You Repugs stole a Supreme Court seat in 2016. And you're about to get your comeuppance when Trump and the Repugs get their asses kicked in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Do you feel as though "****" blocking courts seats and voting down a nominee are a "distinction without a difference"? They both have the same result. Maybe you feel that the nominee HAS to be confirmed, at least when the nominee is selected by a Democrat. Your position is untenable if you are trying to be logically sound.
Sorry I don’t have to live in this fantasy world between two extremes where I have to pretend nuance doesn't exist. I can discern valid motives from naked partisanship. And I never said Democratic nominees have to be confirmed. No one has to do anything. There's what you can do, what you will do and the re-action, have to doesn't figure at all. Have to is for idealists and fantasy role players. I'm a realist. The Republicans blocked hundreds of Obama's nominations, including a Supreme Court pick because they could. If the Democrats take back the Senate with a large enough majority they should expand the courts because they can. All politics is is the diplomatic application of force with the veneer of consent. Its simply an excuse to do what you want because you want to just like every other human action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom