• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court packing.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Why are the republicans so concerned about what biden might do whey they themselves are trying to pack the court right now?

Let me be the first to break the news, biden will appoint ten new judges and it's all constitutional.

Why are the republicans so concerned about what biden might do whey they themselves are trying to pack the court right now?

Let me be the first to break the news, biden will appoint ten new judges and it's all constitutional.
Filling a vacancy is not court packing. Stop falling for every mindless thing you see on TV.

How can anyone post such a cluelessly stupid thought as yours.

They aren't increasing the number of judges for political purposes. We've been at 9 judges since 1869. Why would we need more? Even Ginsburg said 9 is the correct number.

They aren't increasing the number of judges for political purposes. We've been at 9 judges since 1869. Why would we need more? Even Ginsburg said 9 is the correct number.
What's the problem? It's constitutional.

Because we don't want legislation from the bench and neither should you, because if the Democrats pack the court, the Republicans can too.

Court packing is just an offshoot of we hate Trump. It's crazy, short-sighted thinking as this that helped get Trump elected in the first place.

Because we don't want legislation from the bench and neither should you, because if the Democrats pack the court, the Republicans can too.
I know and when they get their chance, I hope they add another twenty to show america how much of a joke the gop really is. All they want is power and the people who support them pay. Every notice how poor most of the southern states are, all the ones that vote red.

No one is packing the court. You don't know what you are talking about.
there are 9 judges and there will continue to be 9 judges.

There is not enough support amongst more general democrats to do away with the filibuster rule needed to pack the court.
they are not stupid enough to get rid of the items that they need to use from time to time.

SO please show us how biden is going to add 10 more judges without having 10 more spots.
these leftist democrats are dumb but they are not completely stupid.

I know and when they get their chance, I hope they add another twenty to show america how much of a joke the gop really is. All they want is power and the people who support them pay. Every notice how poor most of the southern states are, all the ones that vote red.

But, if the Democrats add ten, it's ok?

What you are seeing is the classic case of feelings over logic and reason.

The republican governor of AZ added SC seats, it was legal for him to do so...

There is not enough support amongst more general democrats to do away with the filibuster rule needed to pack the court.
they are not stupid enough to get rid of the items that they need to use from time to time.
No? We've been taking notes from the R's. Most of the country is against this hearing for Barrett. Does it seem like the gop cares? In my opinion, mitch is exchanging republican senate seats for this appointment. When the dems take control of government I'm sure your opinions of right and wrong will change rapidly. I know I'm pissed and if biden wants to add more judges to nullify trumps picks, go to it.

Smart people can make the connection between refusing to fill vacancies and court packing.

If you insist that court packing requires adding judges, you have a point (stupid though it is).

If you understand that the "balance" of the courts can be gerrymandered by refusing to fill vacancies (the same goal as "packing"), then you recognize that what McConnel has been doing for years is the equivalent of packing the courts.

But, if the Democrats add ten, it's ok?
Yup, drastic times take drastic measures. You wouldn't give obama his pick but are more than willing to rush this through with less than three weeks to go before election day. I have zero sympathy for republicans, I think they are deplorables, even more so than hillary thought so.

Back. away. from. the. ledge. sir.

How can anyone post such a cluelessly stupid thought as yours.

You call others post stupid yet can't provide intelligent support to back up your own claims and are repeatedly on record of such. Though you've consistently been unable to prove what you say, you've most certainly proved you can't back up your own word. Your word is worthless, and proven so.

No? We've been taking notes from the R's. Most of the country is against this hearing for Barrett. Does it seem like the gop cares? In my opinion, mitch is exchanging republican senate seats for this appointment. When the dems take control of government I'm sure your opinions of right and wrong will change rapidly. I know I'm pissed and if biden wants to add more judges to nullify trumps picks, go to it.
You once again prove you have no clue what you are talking about.

Barrett has been confirmed as a qualified judge. The fact you want to be a religious bigot is of no standing to anyone.
It depends on what the dem's do. If they continue their habit of the destruction of this country then yes i will oppose it tooth and nail and so
should you.

Might makes right which is the leftist destructive way.
You just proved you have nothing but projections by your last statement.
you are accusing others of what you do.

SO please show us how biden is going to add 10 more judges without having 10 more spots.
these leftist democrats are dumb but they are not completely stupid.
Depends on how many seats they get in the senate. If its a 51-49 majority I don't i think so. But if they have 53 seats, the filibuster is gone. Not enough conservative democrats to save it.

The Rethuglicans have been packing the courts for the last four years. The Democrats need to re-balance them.

Remember what RBG said about the pendulum?

That is not what court packing is. Strategically filling empty appellate court seats with justices you believe align with your political views is not court packing. Adding seats to an appellate court in order to place justices who agree with you politically is court packing.

There is no need to engage in gaslighting or changing the definition of terms in order to justify your actions by claiming the other side does it too. Let the actions be justified on their own merits.

I don't think that anyone prefers to add additional justices to level the playing field.

But once the republicans stated their intent to ram through a justice, this close to an election (during, actually) after they made such a stink about Obama nominating one in an election year, beside being hypocrites in the worst degree, they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and unable to act in good faith. So, as far as I am concerned, the gloves are off. If the democrats can pack the bench, and do so leagally, more power to them. Just consider this the chickens coming home to roost.

If I had to guess I'd say they're terrified of HR1. If that passes and survives a court challenge, Republican minority rule is essentially gone forever. They'll have to win elections the same way Democrats do: persuading a majority of the American people of the superiority of their ideas, and they're terrified of that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom