• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court Orders Mississippi Town to Desegregate Its Schools

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Court Orders Mississippi Town to Desegregate Its Schools - ABC News

Desegregation in U.S. schools began in 1954 with the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court decision. But one Mississippi school district is only now undergoing the transformation.

A federal court has ordered the Justice Department to desegregate schools in Mississippi where students in some secondary schools are still separated based on race.

"Six decades after the Supreme Court in Brown v. Board of Education declared that ‘separate but equal has no place’ in public schools, this decision serves as a reminder to districts that delaying desegregation obligations is both unacceptable and unconstitutional," Vanita Gupta, principal deputy assistant attorney general and head of civil rights at the U.S. Department of Justice, said in a statement released today.

This is 2016 right? How the **** is this kind of crap still going on?

It is amazing that even today we still have to deal with pockets of the nation acting like complete morons.

i can tell you of a couple of elementary schools, because of the neighborhoods they are in, that are all white

it is rare...but it still happens in small pockets around the country

i dont know of any middle schools or high schools...

but in the case of the elementary schools....

what is the solution? bus kids in from other neighborhoods?

i can tell you of a couple of elementary schools, because of the neighborhoods they are in, that are all white

it is rare...but it still happens in small pockets around the country

i dont know of any middle schools or high schools...

but in the case of the elementary schools....

what is the solution? bus kids in from other neighborhoods?

What's being missed here is that the one HS is already desegregated (52% minority student enrollment) and the other is 100% minority. The Foo is ****ting on the other foot in this case.

It is Mississippi, that is how.

Well given it is mississippi, why surprised?. Wasn't Mississippi that finally ratified it constitution in 2016 the 13 amendment of banning Slavery?

given they continuously ranked at the bottom, nothing surprises me any more about that state.

Diving Mullah

Once again, the article, and the feds are full of **** on this one. MS isn't segregating their schools, at least not in this case. The minority communities are segregating themselves. Of the two high schools at the heart of this matter, the so-called white one has a minority enrollment of 52%. The other is 100% minority with almost no white enrollment. That comes down to the minority community and the fact that they tend to live in cohesive color based communities (not just black folks, but Hispanics and Asians).

Welcome to the 20th century, Mississippi!

It's the deep red south. Not coincidentally, the redder the state the higher the concentration of persons who will go to any length to deny that racism exists in 2016 and that all references to racism are just "playing the race card".

Why should I bus my kid 10 miles to school when I have a school a 1/2 mile away?

By the way.... I grew up in the race/busing riots of Boston. (Dorchester) which is located in a very blue and racist state.

Court Orders Mississippi Town to Desegregate Its Schools - ABC News

This is 2016 right? How the **** is this kind of crap still going on?

We have the reverse going on here.

In Toronto, the liberals who run the largest school board in the city have opened up at least two black student only schools because the academics and some parents of black students believe that these black children are more receptive to learning when the curriculum is "black centric" with black teachers and administrators. Many sane people were strongly opposed to this move but the black "stakeholders" demanded this as a right.

Do the students want it that way?

I have no idea. My only thought on the thing is why is this still a thing in 2016? I mean Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick.

We have the reverse going on here.

In Toronto, the liberals who run the largest school board in the city have opened up at least two black student only schools because the academics and some parents of black students believe that these black children are more receptive to learning when the curriculum is "black centric" with black teachers and administrators. Many sane people were strongly opposed to this move but the black "stakeholders" demanded this as a right.

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

How unusual! We have had laws against segregation in schools here for more than 50 years - after many years of bitter fighting pro and con - but now blacks in Canada are demanding segregation again to make black students "more receptive to learning if they're taught by black teachers?" What on earth for - does math, geography or IT change due to the teacher's skin color, as an example? What's going to happen if robots replace teachers, which seems to be the trend as we advance in technology in so many areas? Will they have to be black, too? *shaking head in bafflement after reading this news*

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

How unusual! We have had laws against segregation in schools here for more than 50 years - after many years of bitter fighting pro and con - but now blacks in Canada are demanding segregation again to make black students "more receptive to learning if they're taught by black teachers?" What on earth for - does math, geography or IT change due to the teacher's skin color, as an example? What's going to happen if robots replace teachers, which seems to be the trend as we advance in technology in so many areas? Will they have to be black, too? *shaking head in bafflement after reading this news*

Well if he actually told the truth:
With 17 students already enrolled and more expected to register, Ontario’s first Africentric high school program will officially begin classes this fall for students in Grade 9.

The Leonard Braithwaite Program was to have begun last September at Scarborough’s Winston Churchill Collegiate Institute but a late start and lack of promotion resulted in only six applications, not enough for a full program, board officials said.

Until numbers increased, program students were integrated into traditional classes at Winston Churchill Collegiate.

Registration began in February and 17 students have already signed up with momentum building, said Toronto District School Board spokeswoman Shari Schwartz-Maltz.

“It’s good news,” she said, referring to the announcement made Thursday at Canada’s only Africentric elementary school where lessons focus on black historians, scientists, authors, artists and leaders like the late civil rights activist Charles Roach.

Can you answer the above question?

He has a valid point, that's why issues like this can't be solved in a sentence or a paragraph. You would think though that Mississippi would have a handle on it with the rest of the country and not 60+ years later.

Back
Top Bottom