• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court Orders Mississippi Town to Desegregate Its Schools

Well if he actually told the truth:

Greetings, Carjosse. :2wave:

It just seems to me that the students are being shortchanged here. There is more to history than what one single group contributed, and I wondered why the Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, Europeans etc could not all be incorporated as having been part of earth's history, too. They must have their reasons for wanting to do what they're doing, but it leaves more out than it includes, IMO. :shrug:

Greetings, Carjosse. :2wave:

It just seems to me that the students are being shortchanged here. There is more to history than what one single group contributed, and I wondered why the Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, Europeans etc could not all be incorporated as having been part of earth's history, too. They must have their reasons for wanting to do what they're doing, but it leaves more out than it includes, IMO. :shrug:

It has more of a focus but it still covers the major subjects, there is nothing wrong with some extra teaching on their African heritage. Also we generally do not learn about that in elementary school anyways, we focus on the history of Canada and the French and English history that influenced it.

Greetings, CJ. :2wave:

How unusual! We have had laws against segregation in schools here for more than 50 years - after many years of bitter fighting pro and con - but now blacks in Canada are demanding segregation again to make black students "more receptive to learning if they're taught by black teachers?" What on earth for - does math, geography or IT change due to the teacher's skin color, as an example? What's going to happen if robots replace teachers, which seems to be the trend as we advance in technology in so many areas? Will they have to be black, too? *shaking head in bafflement after reading this news*

Good morning Lady P, hope all is well with you.

I'm the wrong person to give answers to your questions. You'd have to ask the academics and pedagogues for the rationale as well as the parents of black children - not all of them, by the way - who buy into the suggestions.

You claim I lied, so where's the lie(s)?

Are there or are there not at least 2 schools in the Toronto District School Board where black students are segregated into programs, outside of any other race of students, so they can be educated in a "black centric" program? The fact that the programs are in the initial stages where they started at an early grade and will grow the program as years pass doesn't change the fact that it exists. The fact that many black parents and students also reject the attempt at social engineering by liberal academic idiots and refuse to join the program doesn't change the fact that it exists.

I'm guessing you're a sane liberal, so you're probably embarrassed by the facts and so you immediately call them lies even though you actually post information that proves what I said was and is true. You should be embarrassed by your need to defend it by lying about it to another poster.

[empnasis added by bubba]

... The death knell for school busing came in 1999, when U.S. District Judge Robert D. Potter ruled that the city-county schools had “eliminated, to the extent practicable, the vestiges of past discrimination in the traditional areas of school operations.” Potter’s ruling effectively reversed Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, a 1971 U.S. Supreme Court decision that had approved busing students away from segregated neighborhoods in order to achieve a racial balance in public schools.
... Now, nearly 15 years after the Potter decision, Charlotte’s schools are more segregated than at any time since Swann. ... Charlotte has too many schools with large numbers of poor kids. Anyone who knows anything about public education understands that high-poverty schools correlate positively with poor student achievement and outcomes. ...
here is a minister's [excerpted] letter to the editor that caused a ****storm to discussion about this re-segregation:
... Today, one in three of Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools is isolated by class—meaning at least 80 percent of their students live in poverty.

One half of our schools are isolated by race—meaning at least 80 percent of their students are of one race. In one in five schools, 95 percent of students are all of one race, termed “hypersegregation.”

Charlotte’s retreat from desegregation is notable because, at one time, we soared higher than any other community. So our plummet is a greater, steeper disappointment. ...
http://www.newsweek.com/charlottes-shame-return-racially-segregated-schools-368826

judge potter was a reich wing supporter of jesse helms. the bastard was also my neighbor. his finding the school system 'unitary', and no long subject to federal de-segregation guidelines, was his final decision on the bench. asshole lobbied to end busing before he was named to the bench

I can't believe there are still so many proponents of segregation in this day and age. Pretty shocking to tell the truth.

I can't believe there are still so many proponents of segregation in this day and age. Pretty shocking to tell the truth.

but it is never called 'segregation'

instead, it is known as 'neighborhood schools'

with the attendance lines for each drawn according to the race/affluence of the residents

With 17 students already enrolled and more expected to register, Ontario’s first Africentric high school program will officially begin classes this fall for students in Grade 9.

The Leonard Braithwaite Program was to have begun last September at Scarborough’s Winston Churchill Collegiate Institute but a late start and lack of promotion resulted in only six applications, not enough for a full program, board officials said.

Until numbers increased, program students were integrated into traditional classes at Winston Churchill Collegiate.

Registration began in February and 17 students have already signed up with momentum building, said Toronto District School Board spokeswoman Shari Schwartz-Maltz.

“It’s good news,” she said, referring to the announcement made Thursday at Canada’s only Africentric elementary school where lessons focus on black historians, scientists, authors, artists and leaders like the late civil rights activist Charles Roach.
Africentric - Deliberately creating a divide between your citizens which will only grow over time is not a wise endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom