• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Court orders Jussie Smollett be released from jail during appeal

trixare4kids

Trix has reentered the building.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
An appeals court ordered Jussie Smollett be released from jail pending the appeal of his conviction for lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack. The actor's attorneys had argued that he would have completed the sentence by the time the appeal process was completed and that Smollett could be in danger of physical harm if he remained locked up in Cook County Jail.

The ruling came after Cook County Judge James Linn sentenced Smollett last week to 30 months felony probation, including 150 days in jail, for lying to police about an alleged hate crime in 2019. The appeals court said Smollett could be released after posting a personal recognizance bond of $150,000.

Smollett, best known for his role in the TV show "Empire," was convicted in December of five counts of lying to police about the attack but has maintained throughout his extensive legal battles that it was real.

It's the soap opera that never ends.

It's the soap opera that never ends.
30 months probation and 150 days in jail. So how man days has he been in jail then? If it's the full 150 then that's time served, and that soap opera would be the end of that (assuming he doesn't violate parole, of course).

Edit: I misunderstood. The point of what appears to be a temporary release is the argument that if he stayed in jail, an appeal would be moot because he would have served time anyway.

30 months probation and 150 days in jail. So how man days has he been in jail then? If it's the full 150 then that's time served, and that soap opera would be the end of that (assuming he doesn't violate parole, of course).

Edit: I misunderstood. The point of what appears to be a temporary release is the argument that if he stayed in jail, an appeal would be moot because he would have served time anyway.

He started serving his jail sentence on Friday, March 11th.

He started serving his jail sentence on Friday, March 11th.
Right, hence my edit.

In any case, it’s not much of a soap opera. Either his appeal goes through (unlikely) or it doesn’t go through and he does the 150 days (likely).

Wouldn't it be ironic if some crazy racist angry lunatic upset that he felt Jesse got special treatment did harm to Jesse while he is out of prison awaiting his appeal? The kind of crazy racist which Jesse invented in his fraud against the people of this country.

It would be a tragic turn of events, but this story seems to be one of those kind of stories that only Hollywood could write. I expect bad things will end up affecting Jesse, he is a man unable to regulate his emotions, his mouth, and his actions. Like the old saying goes, "trouble rides a fast horse" and Jesse seems to be looking for trouble.

You know what. Let him spend all his money on this lunacy and then put him back in the slammer. I’m fine with letting him bankrupt himself in appeals.

Like I said, most people would see what you're saying but this guy is not normal people.

Wouldn't it be ironic if some crazy racist angry lunatic upset that he felt Jesse got special treatment did harm to Jesse while he is out of prison awaiting his appeal? The kind of crazy racist which Jesse invented in his fraud against the people of this country.

It would be a tragic turn of events, but this story seems to be one of those kind of stories that only Hollywood could write. I expect bad things will end up affecting Jesse, he is a man unable to regulate his emotions, his mouth, and his actions. Like the old saying goes, "trouble rides a fast horse" and Jesse seems to be looking for trouble.
I think he needs more time to firm up his job as a CNN anchor and jail right now is hampering his negotiations.

It's not like he's a threat to anyone.
He’s a menace to society. The appeals process should not be a get out of jail free card. If the appeals court finds that he was wrongfully convicted then he can file a civil suit for wrongful imprisonment like everyone else under similar circumstances.

Sometimes to understand the value of something is for that thing to be taken away.

In my opinion Smollett did not value his job and the pay that came with it.
He did all this due to financial insecurity and selfishness.

In theory -> even if we are to assume that he did this to bring forward the issue of racism, the practical results were actually opposite.

In my view this individual divided more Americans in 1 day than any russian troll farm would do in 1 year.

He’s a menace to society. The appeals process should not be a get out of jail free card. If the appeals court finds that he was wrongfully convicted then he can file a civil suit for wrongful imprisonment like everyone else under similar circumstances.
Lol.

What if he beats himself up again while on bail?
He might do that. After all, shortly after being put in jail last Friday, they put him in a psych ward after being deemed a self-harm risk.

It's not like he's a threat to anyone.
Is that how our penal system is designed. If you aren't a physical threat to anyone, then no time in prison?

If that is the case, then why was Bernie Madoff sentenced 150 years in prison? It wasn't like Madoff was a threat to anyone?

See how that works?;)

Is that wishful thinking

It is stupid to waste tax dollars locking him up. Just make him pay a fine and everyone get on with life

Jesse looked for trouble and he found it. Bad things have already affected him. Do you think he will ever have a career in show business again? I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom